Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Calling all speech therapists!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:14 pm
little intro: my DD age 4.5 learned to talk quite early and as a result she kept pronouncing some sounds the way a 2 year old would, she fell into the habit. For example last year when she was 3.5 I taught her how to pronounce k, hard c, soft g, x, etc. She had been pronouncing them all as t or d. I taught her that by keeping her tongue down she could pronounce them. This year we're working on "th" both soft and hard, again this is simple to explain, the tongue goes between the front teeth and all she needs is a reminder.

My question now involves "r" which she is pronouncing halfway - sometimes with a total "w" replacement and sometimes just a very soft muffled "r." How can I teach her to say a clearer "r" - what lip or tongue movements can assist her with figuring it out? Or is it time to consult with a professional at last (bearing in mind that I've had very good results so far, bh!)

TIA!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:26 pm
I'm not an SLP so I can't tell you what techniques to use- but I do know that it's perfectly normal not to pronounce "r" correctly at that age. As in, not a reason for concern.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:26 pm
The phoneme /r/ is one of the later developing sounds. If you chose to wait and it came in on its own, as late as age 7 or 8, it would still be considered developmentally within the normal range. That being said, as a mom, you can try some verbal cues for tongue placement like telling her to make her tongue bunch up like the hump of a camel. I also have a hand cue I use to indicate that. Another verbal cue is to direct her to crow like a rooster ,"er, er, er..."

You can try to do some auditory bombardment, which means you produce words with /r/ in them and have her listen. You can then try having her discriminate between your correct and incorrect production of /r/ words. If she cannot hear the difference , it may be too early to address this.

Much hatzlacha!

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:27 pm
I'm not a speech therapist, but have worked with many of them, and I believe that the "r" sound is one of the last sounds that a child masters and that's around 6-7 years old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers