Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to motivate 6 & 7 y.o. to do hw
Previous  1  2

treetop12

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 9:01 pm
How about a contest with stars or checks that give them a prize after a week or two. I find that kids love contests! You can give extra checks/stars if there is no complaining or procrastinating, etc. Very Happy

God luck!

granolamom

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 9:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If your child comes home with assignments that he/she doesn't understand, then you are paying WAY too much in tuition. The teachers have your children all day long, and it's their job to make sure that the kids understand what is expected of them. You should not have to "reteach" your children.

Call the school and make an appointment with the administration and teachers, and find out why your child is not absorbing the material in the classroom.

:::sigh::: I agree with you, FF, but its not that simple. Even when a child qualifies and receives resource room services, it is not guaranteed by the school that they will learn what is taught. and if in the regular classroom, forget it! one teacher with 25 students, if yours is a spacey kid or a different style learner, or very quiet, they just slip through. Unfortunately I have found this problem in pretty much all of the local schools to some degree.
IME, meetings beget more meetings and not action or change. One reason I am homeschooling some of my kids, if I'm going to be teaching anyway I might as well do it on my time schedule and in my own way (and for free).
I have also spoken with teachers and let them know that I will reteach if necessary but not with the assigned hw, most teachers once they see that I'm supporting them, have no problem with that and they stop expecting hw from my kid. and can I say I hate GO math (our new Common Core math book)? there is no way my 7 yo can figure out what to do without my help. and sometimes even I cant figure it out.

and then you'd have to convince me that if the child DID understand the assignment and COULD complete it independently, that is was necessary to make him spend time in the evening doing it. at least on the first or second grade level. but that's a topic for another thread I guess.

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:34 pm
homework candy. they get a small something when they finish.
that motivates them
my 6 and 7 year olds have the harder time doing the homework. when they got used to the work they were able to do it independently. I make sure to check that they did it.

sky

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:24 pm
A second grader I think can still be responsible to sit down with their parent and do the homework - that is part of their responsibility. To actually sit down to do it.

I still review chumash nightly with my third grader. But it is his responsibility to make sure we do it - I don't chase after him. And there are some comments I'm supposed to make nightly on his home work sheets. the rebbe told the boys that even thought they need me to write the comments and do chazara with them it is still their responsibility to make sure it happens and they can't blame it on the fact that their mother wasn't available (unless it is really true and then the mother should call the rebbe).

Nomad

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:56 pm
My son just started homework too and after a total meltdown, this is the advice I got from my mom which has helped tremendously.
Snacks should play a big role in homework. When my son comes home, we put out a big bowl of whatever snack he likes and give him chocolate milk. He eats/drinks snack WHILE he is doing his homework. This keep him seated at the table, his glucose levels are high so he's not cranky, and it almost makes homework "fun" because he looks forward to getting different snacks everyday.
good luck!

oliveoil

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 4:14 pm
I agree with making it part of the routine, but your kids might work better a little later in the afternoon.
Come home, eat lunch, run around outside, then they might be better able to concentrate. ie. got some physical activity and a longer break since sitting at a desk in school.

Dawling

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 4:31 pm
OP here.
I like Nomad's idea. And the hw candy idea, but maybe choc chips. My kids are skinny but eat a lot.

Olive oil, I tried that but it was nearly impossible to get them back home to do hw.

Thanks again everyone!

Dawling

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:56 am
[code]
I combined a few suggestions and it worked well.
During lunch, I announced that right after lunch, we're doing hw. No if's, and's or but's.
I set the timer for 3 min, during which time they had to get their backpacks and hw out.
Then I brought snacks and drinks to the hw table (even though we just finished lunch).
And last, I brought 5 choc chips for each of them if they finished in 30 min.
After 30 min, I take away a choc chip for every 2 min. they go over 30 min.

The first grader finished in 15 min and got all 5 choc chips.
The second grader had a hard time staying focused, again, and didn't get any.

I think if we keep it up every day, at least initially, it'll plant the habit.

So that's the update. Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children