Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What should I do? (Neighbors child - I dont like said child)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 12:06 pm
posting anonymous because I dont know if my neighbor is on here or not.

I have a problem here. We have new neighbors. They have a child close in age to one of mine. The parents are lovely. But some of the kids are all over the place. And they are a bit crude sometimes.

I dont like the child. I dont like my child playing with their child. But I dont know what to do. They live right next door and their child likes to come ask to play.

Is there anything I can do? Id love to hear if anyone has experienced this and what have you done,

debsey

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 12:21 pm
Good fences make good neighbors!
You can't stop your kids from playing with the kids. That would be unfair. But you can set up ground rules - like, my house, my rules!
(In my house, you have to clean up after yourselves. We don't use that kind of language in this house. We don't come over to play earlier than _____________ and later than ________________. If I send you home, you have to leave immediately....whatever rules work)
Then talk to your children about your values, and how you want THEM to speak, act, display etiquette in other's homes etc.
If you are concerned about actual problematic boundary crossing (like, it goes beyond "crude" to "talks about totally inappropriate topics") then you revisit and change the rules accordingly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette