Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for an OT who can diagnose SPD in bklyn

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 6:20 pm
info, please. thanks.

imamom7

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 6:36 pm
Sara yoraslovitzs

maestro

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 6:49 pm
Friedy and Roizy Guttmann - sister OTs. They are great in determining SPD vs. behavioral issues. They are in Boro Park

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:33 pm
can I have contact info as well? thanks.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 9:22 pm
The Guttmans charge a bleeping fortune. Some say they're worth it, but generally speaking for just diagnosis I'd say most OT evaluations would cover it, why not stick with dept of ed? Unless for some reason you wanted to spend $1500 or so just for an evaluation report.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:11 pm
seeker wrote:
The Guttmans charge a bleeping fortune. Some say they're worth it, but generally speaking for just diagnosis I'd say most OT evaluations would cover it, why not stick with dept of ed? Unless for some reason you wanted to spend $1500 or so just for an evaluation report.

I went to a standard OT for an eval. I was told they don't diagnose anything, I have to go to a neurologist for that. they don't seem to understand what I'm looking for. and will dept of ed deal with such a diagnosis? I've heard they won't. any info to the contrary would be welcome. but then there's the time factor as well.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:18 pm
Well, the Guttmans aren't neurologists either. What is it that you're specifically looking for? DOE will deal with anything that affects school functioning, as far as I'm aware. I myself was evaluated by an OT from the DOE back before SPD was cool to have. You do generally need to have some academic or developmental concerns to get DOE attention.

If you have the money, these Guttmans are supposed to be great. However many people don't have that kind of money, so I was just putting out the warning... IIRC they charge over a thousand for the evaluation, and then for treatment I think it was three digits per session and they can't estimate how many sessions you'll need, but the bare minimum (like if you're lucky and your issue is really easy) was enough to make me see red - in my bank account, that is.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:20 pm
What do you need the diagnosis for? If you are looking for an entity to fund therapy based on the diagnosis, find out what is acceptable to them. Sometimes it's as simple as the pediatrician writing "sensory processing disorder" on the prescription.

If you want a definitive diagnosis for yourself, look for someone certified in administering the SIPT.

mommydearest

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:41 pm
Seeker - I would normally pm you privately, but you seem to have a beef with the Guttmanns.

The sisters are not neurologists and do not claim to be. They may have Phds (I believe) and are experts in sensory processing disorder. They have certifications and training in neurodevelopment, language development, teach in universities, and are participants in research on SPD with the SPD Foundation in Colorado (under Lucy Miller - the mother of Sensory Processing Disorder).

They are also very modest. Having worked with them, they are honest about their knowledge and their limitations. They are devoted and have kind hearts.

Their evaluations may be costly for some, but they are experts in the field. I have been to neurologists, OTs, and educational experts. I know what's out there. The treatments themselves are very reasonable, and from personal experience with my children costed me less than the actual evaluation. They are thorough and brilliant and work with you.

I thought I should share this publicly, as seeker seems to have had a different experience and expressed this publicly.

Last edited by mommydearest on Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestro

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:44 pm
mommydearest - I agree!

OP - PM me if you need more information.

Good luck.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 9:32 am
seeker wrote:
Well, the Guttmans aren't neurologists either. What is it that you're specifically looking for? DOE will deal with anything that affects school functioning, as far as I'm aware. I myself was evaluated by an OT from the DOE back before SPD was cool to have. You do generally need to have some academic or developmental concerns to get DOE attention.

If you have the money, these Guttmans are supposed to be great. However many people don't have that kind of money, so I was just putting out the warning... IIRC they charge over a thousand for the evaluation, and then for treatment I think it was three digits per session and they can't estimate how many sessions you'll need, but the bare minimum (like if you're lucky and your issue is really easy) was enough to make me see red - in my bank account, that is.

I'm looking for someone who knows enough about spd not to recommend I see a neurologist Smile

all the reading I've done on it states that an OT well-versed in spd should be able to diagnose. and based on other comments I've gotten from this OT, she's not well-versed. I think she's helping my kids, but I want more clarity. after I have more clarity, I hope to know exactly what my kids need.

definitely not looking to pay thousands. again, any more info would be beneficial. I have next to zero experience dealing with the DOE, and I find they don't help kids whose parents don't know what to ask for. so I want to go in knowing what I'm talking about.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 9:55 am
I have no beef against the Guttmans. As I already said, I hear they are great but I never used them myself. I was just trying to help OP explore all viable options because at first she did not specify exactly what the need and background were. If you can put $1500 into this the Guttmans are supposed to be excellent. But if you just need an evaluation in order to get services, IME DOE is usually sufficient.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:02 am
seeker wrote:
I have no beef against the Guttmans. As I already said, I hear they are great but I never used them myself. I was just trying to help OP explore all viable options because at first she did not specify exactly what the need and background were. If you can put $1500 into this the Guttmans are supposed to be excellent. But if you just need an evaluation in order to get services, IME DOE is usually sufficient.

one of my kids already had a DOE OT eval. passed it with flying colors, apparently. I'd like to find someone to evaluate privately, who understands the issues. I need someone in my corner, so to speak. someone to tell me I'm not nuts, who can possibly guide me through everything. if DOE denies services again, I'll have to go private. no choice here. so while I'm not interested on spending a fortune on the eval, it might be worth it. I'm just looking for options and information right now. price is an important bit of info, but it's not the only factor. so feel free to throw ANY info at me. I'll sift through it.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:35 am
Someone who is SIPT certified will have the training and the necessary tools to properly evaluate. That's a good way of sifting. It's the primary standardized evaluation for spd, so you aren't relying in someone's objective opinion, and the training to become certified is comprehensive.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:37 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Someone who is SIPT certified will have the training and the necessary tools to properly evaluate. That's a good way of sifting. It's the primary standardized evaluation for spd, so you aren't relying in someone's objective opinion, and the training to become certified is comprehensive.

right. any suggestions on finding someone SIPT certified? I found a link to a database, but the database doesn't seem to be there anymore. any other leads would be welcome.

nylon

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 12:34 pm
Right - a master's degree alone does not qualify you to dx - therapists are limited in their ability to diagnose. Their role is assessment and treatment plans. The SIPT certification is nice, but that won't necessarily elevate the OT in the eyes of others if you need an official dx. PhD/MD level is required for a lot of diagnoses.

Also, because SPD is not in the DSM, DOE isn't required to recognize it no matter who gives the dx if SPD is the only dx. Insurance will also not pay for treatment if SPD is it. (If you receive sensory based therapies for ASD--whether or not someone dx'es SPD as secondary, which is another issue--then they will pay under the autism dx.)

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:48 pm
nylon wrote:
Right - a master's degree alone does not qualify you to dx - therapists are limited in their ability to diagnose. Their role is assessment and treatment plans. The SIPT certification is nice, but that won't necessarily elevate the OT in the eyes of others if you need an official dx. PhD/MD level is required for a lot of diagnoses.

Also, because SPD is not in the DSM, DOE isn't required to recognize it no matter who gives the dx if SPD is the only dx. Insurance will also not pay for treatment if SPD is it. (If you receive sensory based therapies for ASD--whether or not someone dx'es SPD as secondary, which is another issue--then they will pay under the autism dx.)

that makes sense. but if I know the diagnosis myself, I am more likely to understand what behavior is related and know to bring it up with the doe. they won't cover general treatment, but they should give services to help if it affects their school careers. if I am headed in the wrong direction, I want to know.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 5:20 pm
bump. no one else has experience with this?

nylon

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 5:27 pm
If you don't already have a dx, I would go to someone who is trained to look at the whole picture. Sensory behaviors don't only mean SPD. If your child is school age I would recommend a neuropsychological evaluation. This can be expensive as not all take insurance, but is well worth it. The neuropsych can not only diagnose but recommend classroom accommodations and therapies. Then you would find an OT to implement the plan, if recommended.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 5:35 pm
nylon wrote:
If you don't already have a dx, I would go to someone who is trained to look at the whole picture. Sensory behaviors don't only mean SPD. If your child is school age I would recommend a neuropsychological evaluation. This can be expensive as not all take insurance, but is well worth it. The neuropsych can not only diagnose but recommend classroom accommodations and therapies. Then you would find an OT to implement the plan, if recommended.

sounds good. can you recommend one?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics