Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Oven on yom tov - what temp for different foods?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:52 pm
So, I want to do two things on yom tov:

1. rewarm previously cooked foods, either directly from freezer (kugels) or thawed first
2. cook raw foods
3. roast veggies and french fries

However, I usually rewarm foods, esp kugels, at 300 degrees and cook foods at 400 degrees (my oven runs low). When I roast, I set my oven to 450-475.

So....
any recommendations? What's worked for you? What should I leave my oven at over yom tov (temp. control is electric so I can't adjust over the holidays).

TIA.
Anon b/c I talk about my oven a lot IRL.

GOODMOM

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 12:20 am
I put my oven on 260. To cook something from scratch I put it in the oven the night before. The food I need to warm up I place in the oven that morning.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:35 pm
How could I bake fish (salmon) or raw schnitzel at such a low temp?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:36 pm
If you really want to cook raw foods, you will need to leave it on at 350 (or maybe 400 for you) and just put the other stuff in for short times.

If you leave it on at 250 (or your equivalent), you can cook some things - like raw chicken on the bone -- it will take around 4 hours.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:48 pm
I left my oven at 235. I cooked cholent (with meat) and potato kugel overnight. And it was good for heating food - it took a while. I don't know how long to cook anything that isn't cooked forever.
My Sister-in-law claims that if the oven is at 275 it takes 4 hours to cook fully defrosted chicken on the bone.

GOODMOM

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 6:34 pm
I suggested the oven temp on 260 since I use my electric oven for over 5 yrs already, every shabbos. By the way on succos I place my frozen chaloptzes in the oven overnight and they are perfectly done by the seuda. Fish I never tried .

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:43 pm
I like 250. I make slow roasted Cornish hens for 3.5 hours. They come out so succulent and it's a really nice dish.
A whole chicken takes 5 hours.
OP, I would put kugels in to warm, tightly covered, 2 hours before I needed them.
What sort of veggies would you want to bake? I could give you approximations.
And what sort of raw foods?
I'm still tossing the French fry idea over in my mind.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
How could I bake fish (salmon) or raw schnitzel at such a low temp?

At 250, uncovered raw salmon or breaded chicken cutlets would take about 1.5 hours.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 5:42 pm
Could corn beef work at 250?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, but depending on the time it might take a long time. I'd guess something like 6-7 hours (in water in the oven). You'd need to test periodically to see if it is soft.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, it could work.
If you're making fresh (as opposed to making in advance, slicing, then reheating in sauce - at which time the meat continues to cook and soften) the corned beef needs more time to cook.
I would say a 3 lb. corned beef brisket that will be served immediately out of the oven would take about 8 hours, covered.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen