Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Get a Guinea pig?

November

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 4:16 pm
Hi would you recommend getting a Guinea pig? We have one fish and that's the extent of our pet care. Will this drastically complicate life? What do you guys think?

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 4:50 pm
If you are considering a guinea pig please get two because one will be lonely.
We used to have 2 males.
They're very cute and fun to hold. And not hard to catch if they run behind furniture.
You will have to buy all the trappings - a cage, a bottle, food, hay and some kind of sawdust to cover the bottom of the cage.
you will HAVE to clean out the cage at least once a week or else it will stink. My son was very responsible and did this every week. You don't want to get stuck with this job (I don't think).
They are easy to feed. You have to change their water daily. I also used to give them all my leftover vegetables, which solved my bal tashchis problem.
My kids and I used to love holding them. They are soft and patient. Careful, though. If they get too relaxed on you they may pee.
All in all, it was a fun experience for us and definitely taught my son responsibility.
I say go for it!

flmommy

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 6:24 pm
We had one because my son begged us. They poop a lot so someone needs to clean the cage minimum once a week. They are cute but they don't so much. If this is for a kid I assume look into rats and ferrets. Both are much more playful.

anon for this

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:11 am
Hamsters are somewhat more playful than guinea pigs. They are also smaller, so it's easier to keep their cages clean and they tend to smell less. Because they're smaller, they are also easier to lose, so it's important to be careful when taking them out. Some varieties are happy alone, so you don't need to get two.

A hamster will need a properly-sized cage and water bottle, and a wheel is a good idea too.

Both hamsters and guinea pigs are fun to hold and play with.

Ferrets are popular pets, but if you live in NYC it's not legal to own one.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:09 am
If you get more than 1, be warned: they sometimes mix up boys and girls (common issue in many small animals). We soon needed 2 cages! Once babies come, dad must move out of the cage or he attacks the babies. 2 men also many times need to be separate as they fight each other. Best to either get 2 females or just one.
But they are great pets that teach responsibility but don't need to be walked (but you can with a rabbit leash on a lawn!) and they are cute and don't have the "mouse/rat gross factor".

sima

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:24 am
We have one and he is great. We had hamsters before and comparing with a guinea pig, the guinea pig is so much more interactive. He responds to his name, whistles, hops, when we come in the room etc. the kids love him, carry him around, pet him, walk him, etc. good luck I really recommend them. oh yes, I only have one. I was told they need company and that it is better for them, but I really couldn't take two in the beginning and there was anyhow only this one available.. He seems to be doing great by himself as far as I can tell........

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 4:49 pm
Now I remember how my little guys used to start squealing when they heard me rustling cellophane. That's because my greens (celery, parsely etc.) come in cellophane. They knew when the food was coming and let their excitement be heard. They're cute buggers.

November

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 7:28 pm
Really? You can walk a Guinea pig?
On another note, what do you do to care for it when you are away for a few days?

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 7:35 pm
We have a guinea pig! She's a fun pet and not very much work or expense. We feed her twice a day (lettuce and carrots) and always keep plenty of hay and food pellets in her cage.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 8:19 pm
November wrote:
On another note, what do you do to care for it when you are away for a few days?

Send her over to my house!!! Oh so cute......

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 1:39 am
November wrote:

A friend did it... "Walking it" was just on the lawn. But it was so cute!!

chani8

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 1:57 am
Our family felt that the hamsters were the least satisfying pets. Never tried a guinea pig.

Parakeets and even more, love birds, are much more fun. If you buy a tamed one from a trainer, they're even better. But the males are anyway easy to tame. Tamed birds will sit on your finger, like to be petted, will eat out of your hand, and sit on your shoulder for hours. They are noisier than a rodent, however.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets