Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
9 month old wakes up a lot of times at night - PLEASE help

wife2

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:41 am
My 9 month old baby wakes up a minimum of 3 times at night. Sometimes it is every hour, sometimes every 2-3 hours. My pediatrician said it is from separation anxiety which makes sense because whenever I am not there in the day he cries, follows me around, and is very clingy and attached. He always crawls to me and pulls on me and climbs on me. So I am not functioning on so little sleep and can't keep getting up at night.

I can't let him cry himself back to sleep b/c he shares a room with 2 year old DD and if she wakes up then they will both be up and I will have to take care of both of them. He does not take a pacifier or bottle and has no way to comfort himself and soothe himself back to sleep. He only nurses.

How can I get him to take a paci? What should I do? When I go in at night, I try not to nurse - just pat his back and he goes back to sleep.

Please help me as I cannot continue being so seriously sleep-deprived

pickle321

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:24 am
wife2 wrote:
My 9 month old baby wakes up a minimum of 3 times at night. Sometimes it is every hour, sometimes every 2-3 hours. My pediatrician said it is from separation anxiety which makes sense because whenever I am not there in the day he cries, follows me around, and is very clingy and attached. He always crawls to me and pulls on me and climbs on me. So I am not functioning on so little sleep and can't keep getting up at night.

I can't let him cry himself back to sleep b/c he shares a room with 2 year old DD and if she wakes up then they will both be up and I will have to take care of both of them. He does not take a pacifier or bottle and has no way to comfort himself and soothe himself back to sleep. He only nurses.

How can I get him to take a paci? What should I do? When I go in at night, I try not to nurse - just pat his back and he goes back to sleep.

Please help me as I cannot continue being so seriously sleep-deprived

im not sure what the best thing to do is, but if he hasnt taken a pacifier till, now I would not suggest introducing it now. this is the age where u want to be weaning your baby off the paci. is it possible for you to move him into your bedroom for a few nights to sleep train him? if he wakes up at the same time every night maybe you can try the sleep-to-wake method (google it) or pick-up-put-down. if his problem is seperation anxiety then definitely dont let him cry it out, you want to build his trust. there are things you can do during the day to make the seperation anxiety better examples: if he is playing on the floor and starts whining- dont pick him up, instead get down to his level and play with him, if u have to leave the room dont sneak out on him, tell him you are leaving and will be right back in a cheerful voice and when you get back say here I am!

morah

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:09 am
I would try introducing a security object rather than a paci. Just ask you doc if it's ok to use a blanket/stuffed animal at this point (you may have to wait till closer to 1). Neither of my kids took pacifiers, my older one kinda just learned to self-soothe on his own, the little one holds onto his favorite corner of his blankie and rubs it between his fingers till he falls back asleep.

smss

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:40 am
you're saying that you don't nurse him when he wakes up? just pat his back and he does fall back asleep?

if that's working, that's a good method and you should see results- but they won't be immediate. it might take a few weeks.

a lovey is also a great idea.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:29 am
I was just in the same situation as you. My ds is now 1 years old and one of the things that we got was a wabbanub pacifier. He loved it and was able to keep his in. Getting down to a routine was the hardes t and he does still wake up once or twice. I'm hoping he will outgrow it soon.

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:44 am
You can get a security blanket. They make blankets that are mesh (by Gerber) that prevent suffocation so these are safe for a baby. Sleep with it for a few nights and nurse him with the blanket tucked between you two and then he'll look forward to it.

pickle321

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:00 am
mandr wrote:
You can get a security blanket. They make blankets that are mesh (by Gerber) that prevent suffocation so these are safe for a baby. Sleep with it for a few nights and nurse him with the blanket tucked between you two and then he'll look forward to it.

Can u attach a link?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:07 am
My very chubby baby was waking up a zillion times (and every 3 hours I would nurse) and my husband and I were like at least he's not hungry look his fat he is. Dr was like he's so bug he needs a lot of food. advised to increase the solid food intake during day. Did wonders.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics