Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Why do white shirts turn yellow?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 12:36 am
How long is a white shirt supposed to stay white? I have a small washer/dryer combo. I use hot water and about 4oz bleach for white laundry. Am I doing something wrong?

mommys2

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 2:32 am
amother wrote:
How long is a white shirt supposed to stay white? I have a small washer/dryer combo. I use hot water and about 4oz bleach for white laundry. Am I doing something wrong?

if the white shirts are a blend and not 100% cotton, the bleach will eventually turn the shirts yellow tinged.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 2:38 am
Because they're made in China? Wink

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:12 am
Bleach tends to turn white shirts to yellow. I discontinued using bleach a few years back since it was doing exactly that. I now wash with iron out. Its a very strong powder that makes the clothes white again.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
Bleach tends to turn white shirts to yellow. I discontinued using bleach a few years back since it was doing exactly that. I now wash with iron out. Its a very strong powder that makes the clothes white again.
thanks for the idea but this product looks like its for rust stains? Its not too strong for laundry?
Also is it color safe? If a white shirt has a bit of black on the collar will it turn lighter?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
thanks for the idea but this product looks like its for rust stains? Its not too strong for laundry?
Also is it color safe? If a white shirt has a bit of black on the collar will it turn lighter?

It is not too strong for laundry. It actually works amazing well on whites. I actually just used it on a 100% silk shirt and it removed all stains/sweat stains and made the entire shirt look more new.
The way to use it, is by washing the shirts with regular detergent, refill the machine again on the smallest load possible. Add approximately ½ cup of iron out, allow to soak for about an hour and rinse the load.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry