Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
HUGE mistake in career choice
Previous  1  2  3  4

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 11:17 am
It's so difficult! Keep looking out for ways to improve the logistics (because it seems that's what's getting you down the most) and pray hard for things to fall into place. Just about every career has enough variables involved that it can work out in some way, even if it doesn't always. My experience has been that every time I was feeling burnt out and wondering if I was in the right profession at all, I kept myself open to change and was able to find something better in some way (remember, "better" is not objective. It's about what works for you.) This was not quick, easy, or without stress - sometimes there were months or even years of not knowing if anything would ever change. Sometimes it meant making difficult choices like taking a bit pay cut in exchange for more family time. But after a little life experience I truly believe that if you keep trying and praying, things can work out.

Fox

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
But I have a family to take care of, and they need to come first, before all those others that I want to help. That is part of my problem, and part of my husband's issue with my choice. I'm feeling like I should have chosen a career that allows me to put my family first, instead of choosing one purely based off of interest.

I'm unaware of any career path that always allows you to put your family first.

Now, granted, there are some careers that by their very nature are particularly difficult for women with families, but most jobs and career paths require keeping tons of balls in the air at all times -- and frequently dropping a few.

For example, I've worked in IT for the past 15 years from a home office. My DH owns the company, theoretically allowing me a pretty sweet deal. I've been able to attend every school play; pick up sick kids from school and bed them down in my office; take middle-of-the-day calls from homesick tweens; make all the personal calls that are required to run a family but drive bosses nuts . . . It's about as family-friendly as you can get.

But for every family-friendly moment, there have been at least two occasions where some crisis forced me to throw cold cuts on the table and run back to my office or take a work-related call during a family outing. When my kids were little, someone gave them a toy doctor's kit. They took the stethoscope and put the binaural pieces over the top of their heads like a computer headset. That was sobering!

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Family-friendliness always involves trade-offs. Sometimes the trade-off is money; sometimes it's schedule flexibility; sometimes it's benefits and full-time versus part-time status. The key is finding what trade-offs work for you and realizing that every profession is going to require sacrifices at various times.

Jobs Versus Careers
On another note, I think it's important to understand the difference between specific jobs and more general career paths.

Are some jobs "dying"? Perhaps. But other jobs take their place, and if you keep your eyes open, you can make the transition. It's not always easy: many of us don't even realize what "business" we're in. But the stable hand who began to learn basic auto repair in 1910 -- because he realized that he was in the business of transportation, not horses -- probably didn't lament the passing of his old job too much.

Mental health is such a broad field that it can encompass a huge range of jobs in an equally-diverse range of settings. As you network, actively look for mental health professionals who work in unusual jobs or settings and don't be afraid to learn new skills to complement your skills as a therapist. Off-the-beaten-track jobs often offer the best opportunity to balance your priorities.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics