Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I'm weird. now what?
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 7:56 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I've tried this before. when I'm unmotivated, commercial breaks work wonders. but I can't understand how anyone watches tv while washing dishes. the sound of running water blocks out the sound of the tv. even if I turn up the volume, it's not clear. and I can't look at the screen. total waste.

for those who like tv shows and want to clean during the show itself, check out some old time radio shows while you're at it. those are fun, and you don't have to miss any visuals while cleaning.

If its a really good part, then I stop washing dishes for a couple of minutes. During commercials I work faster to make up for lost time.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:04 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
If its a really good part, then I stop washing dishes for a couple of minutes. During commercials I work faster to make up for lost time.

doesn't work for me. I just wash the dishes and listen to my own thoughts. sometimes that's relaxing, oddly enough. but I notice that when we're away on vacation in a rented house with a tv in the living room, that house gets cleaned up a lot easier than ours does. I actually find a tv more helpful than a laptop.

granolamom

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:19 pm
have you tried setting a timer? I used to set the timer for 15 min a few times a day and then work hard in one area for those 15 min and then stop. for some reason, being timed motivated me to move faster. I think I may have gotten that tip from flylady, I dont remember for sure though.
its amazing how much you can do in 15 min

Jewishmofm

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:35 pm
Okay. I have tried the tv/movie idea but . . . I end up just watching and even less gets done. I love the idea of having DH around, but that just doesn't happen with his schedule. He does all the carpool, much of the shopping (he works close to stores, we live far from stores) so he spoils me pretty much already.
I like the idea of swapping chores with a girlfriend, but I have none close enough. both close enough to physically be here and close enough that I feel comfortable asking.
We have guests ALL the TIME. My fatigue is greater than my embarrassment.
ETA: my mother in law (who proclaims herself allergic to dirt and mess) IS coming. right after yom kippur.

anyone want to come over and sit with a cup of tea while I work? all I ask is some shmoozing in return.

joy613

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:38 pm
mtzadhasheini wrote:
I clicked on this bc I think I'm weird too!!! My tip is to say to myself that I don't have to actually clean up. I just have to TRY to clean up, and Hashem will help. He will sort of finish the job. And although it is pretty weird, it usually works.

Mary Poppins style?
jk

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:43 pm
Jewishmofm wrote:

anyone want to come over and sit with a cup of tea while I work? all I ask is some shmoozing in return.

Add some jelly rings and I'll be right over. coffee

Sanguine

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 2:02 am
Jewishmofm wrote:
My fatigue is greater than my embarrassment.

Why are you so tired? Is this boredom tired (not excited about cleaning) or a real physical problem? Are you fatigued for doing other things too
Quote:
He does all the carpool, much of the shopping

This sounds physical (or emotional) - Do you dislike going out to public places (emotional), or does the thought of getting dressed and dragging yourself out to do carpool and shop exhaust you? That may be related to a physical problem. May be as simple as you don't get enough sleep. You may need vitamins. It may be more. And the Dr. may not catch it with a simple blood test.

There are these hyper supermoms who sew their kids clothes, bake their own Challa, volunteer for every organization, work full time and keep a perfect house. You don't have to be that, but you keep mentioning fatigue so unless you do all those other things and that's why you're so fatigued, maybe you should see a Dr.

granolamom

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 9:24 am
groisamomma wrote:
Add some jelly rings and I'll be right over. coffee

if theres jelly rings, I'll come too. I'll even help you sweep.

Jewishmofm

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 1:01 pm
My doctor told me that this is typical of a mother with many children. Which you and I know is not accurate.
I've got jelly rings, some great tunes on spotify...see you all soon!

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 1:05 pm
Jewishmofm wrote:
My doctor told me that this is typical of a mother with many children. Which you and I know is not accurate.
I've got jelly rings, some great tunes on spotify...see you all soon!

enjoy some jelly rings for me Smile

JustHavingFun

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 1:43 pm
Sanguine wrote:
This sounds physical (or emotional) - Do you dislike going out to public places (emotional), or does the thought of getting dressed and dragging yourself out to do carpool and shop exhaust you? That may be related to a physical problem. May be as simple as you don't get enough sleep. You may need vitamins. It may be more. And the Dr. may not catch it with a simple blood test.

I hate to clean/declutter because it is overwhelming. Usually when doing it I unearth a bag full of stuff from the last session!

Part of mine is from depression, which affects motivation, and part is that I never got the habit of doing it even since childhood.

I'm going to daven over it on Yom Kippur. I heard a wonderful shiur from Rabbi Menachem Penner given at the YU Kollel Yom Rishon on Sunday, September 28, 2014 about tshuvah. It was entitled "Teshuvah: Changing Who We Are – Not Just What We Do." (Available for download at http://www.yutorah.org/search/ YU Torah Online). He said that usually we focus on a "doing" mitzvah, I.e., bentsching with a bentscher, davening with a minyan, etc., for YK. He gave examples from Rambam and Rashi saying that rather than action mitzvos, we should focus on the mitzvos that are not codified in the 613, like anger, and feelings. This really struck a note. If I examine my reluctance/abhorrence of cleaning I can come up with many reasons or origin stories. They don't matter with this approach. I need to daven to have the willingness to change this character defect. My laziness, uncaring nature, resentment from childhood demands, hate of garbage or whatever can be managed with this method.

Praying for 5 minutes to do it without resentment. Praying for pride in taking care of myself/my family. Praying for the energy, mental and physical.

My MIL is coming in a few months and already I'm scrambling to make plans to redo the guest room just so she'll be comfortable to sleep there. I know what you're going through. I suggest you track down the shiur and listen to it (you can download on iTunes, too) and hopefully will get some ispiration. Lots of luck, sister!

Jewishmofm

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:17 am
[quote="JustHavingFun"]I hate to clean/declutter because it is overwhelming. Usually when doing it I unearth a bag full of stuff from the last session!

Part of mine is from depression, which affects motivation, and part is that I never got the habit of doing it even since childhood.

I'm going to daven over it on Yom Kippur. I heard a wonderful shiur from Rabbi Menachem Penner given at the YU Kollel Yom Rishon on Sunday, September 28, 2014 about tshuvah. It was entitled "Teshuvah: Changing Who We Are – Not Just What We Do." (Available for download at http://www.yutorah.org/search/ YU Torah Online). He said that usually we focus on a "doing" mitzvah, I.e., bentsching with a bentscher, davening with a minyan, etc., for YK. He gave examples from Rambam and Rashi saying that rather than action mitzvos, we should focus on the mitzvos that are not codified in the 613, like anger, and feelings. This really struck a note. If I examine my reluctance/abhorrence of cleaning I can come up with many reasons or origin stories. They don't matter with this approach. I need to daven to have the willingness to change this character defect. My laziness, uncaring nature, resentment from childhood demands, hate of garbage or whatever can be managed with this method.

Praying for 5 minutes to do it without resentment. Praying for pride in taking care of myself/my family. Praying for the energy, mental and physical.

My MIL is coming in a few months and already I'm scrambling to make plans to redo the guest room just so she'll be comfortable to sleep there. I know what you're going through. I suggest you track down the shiur and listen to it (you can download on iTunes, too) and hopefully will get some ispiration. Lots of luck,

This struck a chord. I will find that shiur, and daven.

So glad to see I'm not alone. So glad to set that others have strugged and have found ways out.

Thank toy, sisters!

magenta

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:42 am
That's not so weird!
I set myself a time limit say, nine o'clock. And I do whatever I want guilt- free until then. Picking up toys, washing dishes and sweeping floors don't actually take so long.
You can try to take a short nap when your kids go to bed to get you energized.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 11:07 pm
Well, who wouldn't do mindless work better when there's someone to shmooze with? It's called distraction. Your mind is on the convo, not the mind-numbing chores. Put your cell phone on speaker, get a Bluetooth atachment, or buy a speakerphone for your landline, and call a friend when it's time for chores. Just don't vacuum or wash dishes while on the phone.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry