Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Diff types of veal, please enlighten me

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:50 pm
What's the diff between neck of veal roast and breast of veal? If I want to cook a veal roast, (ra_mom's recipe that I found on earlier threads) which cut would I need?

TIA

Tziril Miriam

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 1:05 pm
My mother cooked a stuff veal dish that was fantastic. We ate meat every night, and most lunches. I reminisce whenever I pass the meat counter while shopping. She was terrific with steak.

My mother learned from butchers. She asked questions. She learned about all the various cuts of meat, and about cows and lambs and whatever animal veal comes from. Butchers told her which cooking style was best for each of her purchases, with details about oven temperature and timing. They also helped her select the best-priced cuts, because she was always on a budget.

Any store that sells cut meat has a person who can help you. Some are more knowledgeable than others. Keeping asking and you'll learn who to rely on. Your meals will be better and you'll save money.

Good luck with the veal. Our family loved it.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 1:12 pm
Tziril Miriam wrote:
My mother cooked a stuff veal dish that was fantastic. We ate meat every night, and most lunches. I reminisce whenever I pass the meat counter while shopping. She was terrific with steak.

My mother learned from butchers. She asked questions. She learned about all the various cuts of meat, and about cows and lambs and whatever animal veal comes from. Butchers told her which cooking style was best for each of her purchases, with details about oven temperature and timing. They also helped her select the best-priced cuts, because she was always on a budget.

Any store that sells cut meat has a person who can help you. Some are more knowledgeable than others. Keeping asking and you'll learn who to rely on. Your meals will be better and you'll save money.

Good luck with the veal. Our family loved it.

Thanks, I'm writing my list of groceries for delivery, so I won't be in the store to ask a/o. So if anyone can enlighten me that'd be great...

Tziril Miriam

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 1:18 pm
Use your phone and all a butcher. Or call a chief in a restaurant, but only midmorning or mid-afternoon.Look it up in wikipedia, or in a cookbook published by America's Test Kitchens.

Then tell us what you found out about veal. None of us seem to know.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:14 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
What's the diff between neck of veal roast and breast of veal? If I want to cook a veal roast, (ra_mom's recipe that I found on earlier threads) which cut would I need?

TIA
Neck of veal roast is more tender.

Grandma 1

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:48 pm
Both breast of veal, and veal shoulder roast are part of my regular cooking repetoire, and are delicious I'm not at all familiar with neck of veal roast. I can't imagine any meat more tender than breast of veal.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:59 am
Thanks!

Well then breast of veal it is, since it's cheaper and probably healthier (if the same rule applies to veal as does to chicken)

ra_mom, your recipe (a sweet sauce) would work well with a breast of veal roast?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:43 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Thanks!

Well then breast of veal it is, since it's cheaper and probably healthier (if the same rule applies to veal as does to chicken)

ra_mom, your recipe (a sweet sauce) would work well with a breast of veal roast?

Sure
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics