Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Chipping in for Car Service

Mrs. Crocs

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 10:11 pm
I occasionally (if I'm running late) take a ($10-$15) car service to work (instead of paying $2 for bus fare).

If I remember, I offer a workmate of mine (who lives in my neighborhood) a ride.

Now I don't expect her to chip in for the fare of the car, since I'm the one that's taking it. But don't you think it's only right for her to at least give me the $2 that she's saving from her bus fare?

What do you think?

taffy

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 10:15 pm
Absolutely! I don't know what she was thinking, but hey if you're so annoyed by it why don't you ask her for the two bucks.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 9:08 am
I think you obviously do want her to chip in ... otherwise the 2 bucks wouldn't bother you - even if it's only cause that's what you would do ... either ask for the money or don't ... but you cannot change her ... cause she obviously is thinking along the free ride and saving $2

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 9:16 am
I think it would be nice of her to offer to chip in, but you should refuse. She's only taking you up on your car service offer BECAUSE it's free. If not, she'd take the bus.

faigie

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:14 am
ok, so maybe next time you can say, wanna split a cab?

Mrs. Crocs

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:28 am
Posters #2-#4: I absolutely do not expect her to chip in for the car fare. She wasn't relying on the car, but would have gone with the bus. (She works later than I do, and I'm the one in need of the car.)

I only think it's mentschlich to give me the $2 that she would have paid for the bus.

cindy324

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 3:03 pm
Posters #2-#4: I absolutely do not expect her to chip in for the car fare. She wasn't relying on the car, but would have gone with the bus. (She works later than I do, and I'm the one in need of the car.)

I only think it's mentschlich to give me the $2 that she would have paid for the bus.

Maybe she feels that it's pretty lame to offer you $2, when you're taking a car service that's costing you $10-15 , AND you made it clear that you do not expect her to chip in. So why get so hung up on $2? Maybe she's embarrassed to offer those measily 2 bucks.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 3:42 pm
I agree with the other poster. The ONLY reason why she is going with you is because it is cheaper. Hence, she saves the $2 and gets a free ride with you. If you are annoyed by it, same something - but dont be suprised if she starts taking the bus again. As, she prob thinks you are doing for free as it is a mitzvah...

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:36 pm
I think faigie idea is the best and easiest - ask if she wants to chip in ...

also what is her $ situation... that certainly could play a part and you doing a chesed in her eyes ... why take that away ... the $2 could be doing something important somewhere else in her life ...

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:49 pm
if you called and asked if she wants to split the fare is one thing, but if you are calling and offering a ride, she is most likely assuming you are doing her a favor.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 7:08 pm
Every week, another rider paid the gas. also, we bought her a microwave for her birthday (she needed one at the time).

It's not just the expense, it's the pleasure of a car ride, the friendships...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette