Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Chocolate Toffee Torte (Chic Made Simple)

emmasence

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 2:58 pm
Has anyone made this and can comment on the baking time? It seemed really loose/raw after 30 minutes, but the "do not overbake" note discouraged me from baking it longer. Does it set after awhile, I.e. is this consistency deliberate, or did I do something wrong?

ThankYouHashem

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 3:19 pm
yum sounds great
can you share the recipe please?

emmasence

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 3:34 pm
Sure.

Chocolate Toffee Torte
- 1/2 c. plus 2 T. margarine
- 1 3.5-oz. bar bittersweet chocolate
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 9-in. graham cracker pie crust
- 8 oz. non-dairy whip topping

Preheat the oven to 350. Over a double boiler, melt the margarine with the chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for several minutes.

Pour the chocolate-margarine mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, honey, salt, flour, vanilla, and eggs and beat with a hand mixer until evenly combined, about 1 minute. Pour the batter into the graham cracker pie crust and bake for 30 minutes. Do not overbake. Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Freeze the pie for at least 8 hours.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the whip toppin until peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

To serve, remove the pie from the freezer and slice. Allow the slices to thaw for 5 minutes and serve immediately with a generous dollop of whip topping. If desired, dust the whip topping with cocoa powder and serve berry sauce on the side.

ThankYouHashem

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 3:40 pm
Thanks!
think im gonna try it for yom tov
Looking at the recipe, I have a feeling that you should just follow the directions and take it out after half an hour
it will continue to cook for a little out of the oven in the hot pan, and you want it soft and chocolaty in the middle (aka underdone)

emmasence

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:25 pm
yep, that's what I did We'll see what happens come dessert time Wednesday night...

mol

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 5:31 pm
I had the same thing the first time I made it but it was yum! I think its supposed to b like that. its also very runny when you serve it but the taste makes up for it, even made it a second time Very Happy

emmasence

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 5:45 pm
thanks, mol, that's really helpful.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 6:28 pm
I made it and it was delicious! After you freeze it it becomes firm enough- if you over bake it it may not have that chewy toffee texture.

timtam

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 7:49 pm
Anyone made this without the whipped topping? I assume it wouldn't look as fancy but does it still taste good? I'd like a way of making it slightly more healthy.

smoms

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 7:58 pm
Yes, I've never made or served it with the whipped topping. It is extremely rich and decadent. In fact, I was never able to fully appreciate its rich flavor after a full meal. Although each time I eat it, I wonder if the topping would serve a dual purpose of tempering the flavor/texture somewhat.

musiclover

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:44 pm
Do you think I can make this with regular pie crust instead of Graham? Having company and I know one of my guests doesn't like Graham cracker crust...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics