Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is secondhand smoke dangerous enough to move?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 2:28 am
Our downstairs neighbor smokes and our apartment always smells like smoke. We have 2 kids under 2. The management has tried to help - they can put silicone around the valve in the bathroom to block out some of it but it still strongly smells. You can walk into the bedroom/bathroom and it reeks since the vents/valves are connected.

We are worried about our kids breathing in secondhand smoke and were not told about this when we moved in. It is a HUGE hassle to move but I do not want to cause any danger to my children. Please tell me how bad it is to breathe in secondhand smoke every single day for years for young children. It is not directly near the cigarette but still wafts up into our apartment.

Thank you.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:54 am
Yes, I would move. Secondhand smoke is very unhealthy for anyone, esp kids

Http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/dat.....ntent

Happy18

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:10 am
Yes. I'm pretty sure in NYC it's illegal to smoke indoors in an apartment building. Regardless of where you live you may want to look into it.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:14 am
Forbidden to smoke in their apartment? I can see people rioting here Wink
and yes I would move. I cannot stand the stench.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:17 am
It's very dangerous especially for the little ones.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:22 am
I'm not sure if what you're smelling constitutes second hand smoke and carries all of the dangers that come with it, but it's without a doubt still unhealthy. I would speak to the landlord and move. Furthermore, the smell may settle in your apartment (furniture, linen, clothing, etc.) which is unsafe and disgusting. You may even have to have some items professional cleaned/aired out when moving.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:24 am
Happy18 wrote:
Yes. I'm pretty sure in NYC it's illegal to smoke indoors in an apartment building. Regardless of where you live you may want to look into it.

In the hallway I understand, but in ones own apartment????? I googled it and you're allowed to smoke in your own apartment, but not in the halls.

Quote:
Is it legal for my neighbors to smoke in their apartment if it enters my apartment?
There is no law that specifically prohibits a neighbor from smoking in his or her home (unless
it is part of a residential healthcare facility or a children’s institution). However, some owners
do prohibit smoking in residences, in which case smoking indoors could be a violation of a lease or
rental agreement. NYC, as well as other cities and states, have addressed similar issues on a
case-by-case basis. In some cases, courts have ruled that a tenant is entitled to protection from
secondhand smoke that comes from another apartment.
https://a816-nycquits.nyc.gov/.....s.pdf

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:29 pm
This is op.
does anyone know if there are any legal rights we have such as having no penalty if we break the lease or asking the landlord to find another apartment for us? we just moved and they did not tell us the person under us smoked even though they knew we had 2 little kids. has anyone experienced this?

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:12 am
It doesn't have to get into your house. Put down some flooring or rugs. Even painting the floor with deck paint will close it. Maybe do all that, paint first, then rugs. Paint is cheapest. Two coats of clear polyurethane, if paint is not appropriate.

Miri1

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:26 am
I really feel for you. I lived with this same problem and there was nothing I could do. I was also concerned because it was an elderly man, who wasn't really on top of things, and I worried about how careful he was with the cigarettes, I'm sure there was a fire risk.

We were about to rent a house once, when I smelled smoke in the bathroom, and it turned out it was the neighbor's smoke. I'm not sure if it counts as 2nd hand or third hand, but I personally would get out of the situation if possible. Even 3rd hand smoke is a problem for children. This would be the residues left on surfaces / carpets etc., even after the cigarette is extinguished and the air is cleared.

Hatzlacha with this! Very trying and upsetting!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:45 am
If you can't leave, get an air cleaner. The stuff will be stuck on its filter.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UT.....rlk_b

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:50 am
I would move.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics