Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Silicone Challah pan mold
Previous  1  2

Volunteer

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 10:32 pm
I don't own this pan, but I did once bake with it at a friend's house. SHe follows a gluten-free diet, and she said her gluten-free dough is too soft and sticky, so she used the mold. The challah came out looking fine, though it definitely looked molded, rather than braided. The challah didn't stick to the pan, but I found it a little annoying to clean by hand because if its floppy design. This pan seemed to hold up alright with her dough inside, but I have seen similar silicone cake pans be "panned" by Cook's Illustrated because they can spill wet batter if not handled very carefully.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:03 am
If you take two strands, hold both at the top with one hand, up in the air, and also hold only ONE of them at the bottom, hanging down, then, just shake them back and forth a little, the loose one twines around the stationary one.

You now have a two-strand twist. Lay it down on the baking sheet paper.

Make a few such twists, and lay them down next to each other, parallel, touching at their sides..

This looks braided.

Some people brush with dilute molasses for a brown color.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 2:30 am
I have a silicone bunt cake pan, and it is so easy to clean in the dish washer top rack.

I want these challah molds SO BADLY! Someone buy me a dozen, please?

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 2:51 am
FF, here they are

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....2C159

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 3:03 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
FF, here they are

Are you offering to buy them for me? Chanukah is coming up, and my birthday is in June. Wink

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 4:29 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
FF, here they are

Great all the sizes - The kosher store in Riverdale only has the big.

Now question for someone who's used one - It says to cover with a damp cloth while rising. I'm doing that but the damp cloth is cool. Don't you need warm for rising?

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 6:26 am
I did it!! Kind of cute. I used 5 cups of flour and used half the dough in this pan (the second one I used the RH round Challah heter). I'm going to buy a second pan so I can make 2 at once. It sits OK though the bottom is a little rounded - looks like a boat but the bumps are great. we're having a serious Challah baker over for lunch on Chag - I'm sure she'll get a kick out of my quickie Challah. It's much much much easier than having to roll and braid. Straight from the bread machine to the pan.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 9:48 am
I do the ball thing also when I make more then my silicone pans - I put them in an oblong pan and it comes out looking great (even better then the silicone pans). But even with that you still have to handle the dough, it sticks to your fingers, you spend time making the balls, flour gets on the counter.
with the silicone pans you don't have to do all that. When I make challah Friday morning in a clean kitchen on my way to work it is the simply the easiest way.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:34 am
Tadaaa!!! My first silicone Challa

That's from 2 1/2 cups of flour. It's sort of heavy feeling (and it looks like a boat Very Happy )

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:50 am
that reminds me of one of my favorite books:

http://www.amazon.com/Commande.....13535

cute challah!

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:10 am
mummiedearest wrote:
that reminds me of one of my favorite books:

http://www.amazon.com/Commande.....13535

cute challah!

How insulting. You were supposed to say http://www.amazon.com/Secret-C.....halla

Twisted Evil embarrassed

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:35 am
I might have said that had I read that book.

Twisted Evil

I'm totally tempted to make a commander toad toothpick and stick it in my challahs now. hmm...

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:48 am
mummiedearest wrote:
I might have said that had I read that book.

Twisted Evil

I'm totally tempted to make a commander toad toothpick and stick it in my challahs now. hmm...

Well, I never heard of commander toad and me and my kids all grew up fine Silly - sort of

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:49 am
Sanguine wrote:
Well, I never heard of commander toad and me and my kids all grew up fine Silly - sort of

then my reference is lost. Sad

I urge you to read it. you'll laugh.

malkacooks

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:16 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Tadaaa!!! My first silicone Challa

That's from 2 1/2 cups of flour. It's sort of heavy feeling (and it looks like a boat Very Happy )

did you flip it halfway thru baking or leave to cook in the pan the entire time?

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:27 pm
malkacooks wrote:
did you flip it halfway thru baking or leave to cook in the pan the entire time?

I flipped it and egged it and baked another 5 minutes. No big deal (and I think everything is a big deal)

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 2:06 pm
Maybe raise the mold up off the baking sheet with something, perhaps crumpled tinfoil or something, because the tops of the "braids" can get too dark. Maybe. I am no expert with this.

Maybe let it rest in the mold, to get some more rise, before baking, if you say it's a little heavy.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 2:18 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Maybe let it rest in the mold, to get some more rise, before baking, if you say it's a little heavy.
That's it!! I should have let it rise longer. It came out smaller than what I usually get. The instructions said to let it rise for an hour so I was obedient. I should have realized that it needed more rising time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads