Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Doesn't close bathroom door, is it normal?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:23 pm
My almost 9 year old son rarely closes the bathroom door when he sits in (when he pees he for sure doesn't). This is really getting to me. I remind him every single time and we talk about it at other times. Using the bathroom is private you need to close the door!
He's a pretty absent-minded kid and we are an all boys household (well except me Smile ) so maybe that's a contributing factor? But he'll leave the door open anywhere even when were at grandparents/relatives homes.
Rrrrrrr I know it's petty but it's driving me insane! (We live in a tiny apartment with 1 bathroom and can hear the noises too clearly...)
Is this normal? Any advice?

Anonymous to protect my son's privacy

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:55 pm
I hear you sister. Very annoying, but totally typical. of our five boys, three currently do not close the door. One is always in too much of a rush to get to the toilet (missing it 8 out of ten times in his haste!) one is scared to be alone anywhere. (a larger issue that where working on) and the other just does what he sees his brothers do.
Just keep reminding him, and maybe build up muscle memory by walking through the steps when he doesn't actually need the bathroom. He'll get it eventually, and his wife will thank you!

zigi

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 12:36 am
close the bathroom door is something I have to repeat a million times. I think its fear of missing out and one more thing that has to get done when they really have to go

amother

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:12 am
Op here
So it's a normal thing? I seriously started thinking there may be something wrong with him that I say it a million times and he doesn't get it.
You know, when dh and I hear that familiar sound of someone bombing in the bathroom, we look at each other, roll our eyes and one of us calls out in exasperation "(name of son) we close the door when we use the bathroom!"
My next son, younger than him, always locks the door when he uses the bathroom, that's why we were thinking is this normal at this age? (Almost 9 yr old ds is our oldest)

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:17 am
Put up a sign on the toilet: FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYONE'S COMFORT, PLEASE CLOSE THE DOOR.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:18 am
missing it 8 out of ten times in his haste![quote]

Op again
Lol. I got only boys and I sometimes wish for my own private always clean bathroom!
OT but how do you deal with the mess? Do ur boys chip in with cleaning up? Do u wipe down the toilet area every time you pass the bathroom?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:22 am
DrMom wrote:
Put up a sign on the toilet: FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYONE'S COMFORT, PLEASE CLOSE THE DOOR.

Op here
I was actually thinking of putting up a sign above the toilet that says "remember to flush" with a funny smiley face so my kids remember the message. I wonder if a close the door sign will be effective... I might try it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics