Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Hershey's 'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Cake
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

melbee

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 9:51 am
I make this cake with seltzer instead of milk and have always had it come out amazing!! And then we have seltzer as a drink for Shabbos. Smile

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 10:50 am
OOTBubby wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:
Well, I tried making this cake...TWICE. It came out BAD.

The batter tasted very off, bitter/salty/FIZZY.

People's reactions to the cake varied from "It tastes fine to me" to "It has an aftertaste" to "It's really bad."

The only ingredients I changed were a cup of splenda in the cake and orange juice instead of milk. What went wrong???

You can't change ingredients and then claim it came out BAD. First make it with the ingredients called for (use almond/soy/rice milk or even coffee rich to keep it pareve) and see how it comes out. Then if you want, try substituting ingredients, BUT don't expect it to come out like the original (which is great).

But

a) I often substitute partially with splenda, and I never taste an aftertaste, no do any of my other taste testers. I've tried it in other cakes and cookies and it always comes out delicious. Both the batter and the cake normally taste delicious when I use splenda. Not so with this cake.

b) another poster here used orange juice and said it came out fine.

The second cake I tried, I used water instead of orange juice, thinking maybe the acid in the juice reacted badly with something. Same thing.

So I'm guessing there is some ingredient, specific to this cake, that reacts badly to splenda?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 10:59 am
gp2.0 wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

People's reactions to the cake varied from "It tastes fine to me" to "It has an aftertaste" to "It's really bad."

The only ingredients I changed were a cup of splenda in the cake and orange juice instead of milk. What went wrong???

You can't change ingredients and then claim it came out BAD. First make it with the ingredients called for (use almond/soy/rice milk or even coffee rich to keep it pareve) and see how it comes out. Then if you want, try substituting ingredients, BUT don't expect it to come out like the original (which is great).

But

a) I often substitute partially with splenda, and I never taste an aftertaste, no do any of my other taste testers. I've tried it in other cakes and cookies and it always comes out delicious. Both the batter and the cake normally taste delicious when I use splenda. Not so with this cake.

The second cake I tried, I used water instead of orange juice, thinking maybe the acid in the juice reacted badly with something. Same thing.

So I'm guessing there is some ingredient, specific to this cake, that reacts badly to splenda?

My point was that you can't call a recipe BAD if you don't use the ingredients it calls for. You can see, I tried with X ingredient instead of Y and it came out bad, but you can't judge the original recipe itself as bad if you've changed the ingredients from what it called for.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 11:14 am
OOTBubby wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

But

My point was that you can't call a recipe BAD if you don't use the ingredients it calls for. You can see, I tried with X ingredient instead of Y and it came out bad, but you can't judge the original recipe itself as bad if you've changed the ingredients from what it called for.

LOL. Did I say anything like "This recipe is the worst recipe ever!! How could you all recommend it when it's so awful?!"

No, I did not. I said "I tried making it, it came out BAD, here are the ingredients I changed, does anyone know what went wrong."

Anyway, why are you taking personal offense? Are you Mrs. Hershey? Wink

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 11:19 am
gp2.0 wrote:

LOL. Did I say anything like "This recipe is the worst recipe ever!! How could you all recommend it when it's so awful?!"

No, I did not. I said "I tried making it, it came out BAD, here are the ingredients I changed, does anyone know what went wrong."

Anyway, why are you taking personal offense? Are you Mrs. Hershey? Wink

Sorry if I misread/misunderstood your post. I'd just hate for someone to hesitate making this recipe based on that since it is a fantastic recipe.

Insomniac

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 12:39 pm
This too is my go too chocolate cake recipe...to the point where I dont even try using any other recipe. But I noticed that when I double it, it comes out more dense than fluffy. Maybe it has to do with the boiling water? How much do you mix it once you add the boiling water?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 12:42 pm
Insomniac wrote:
This too is my go too chocolate cake recipe...to the point where I dont even try using any other recipe. But I noticed that when I double it, it comes out more dense than fluffy. Maybe it has to do with the boiling water? How much do you mix it once you add the boiling water?

I've never doubled it, but I've also never actually used boiling water. I just use hot water.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 2:59 pm
Insomniac wrote:
After I add the boiling water, I mix it well until batter is smooth and thin

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 4:19 pm
Insomniac wrote:

Do you do it by hand or with a mixer?

Insomniac

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 6:45 am
Usually by hand, you think that's the issue? If it will make a difference, then it might be worth the extra dishes....but it would have to be 100% foolproof! Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 12:35 pm
Insomniac wrote:
Usually by hand, you think that's the issue? If it will make a difference, then it might be worth the extra dishes....but it would have to be 100% foolproof! Smile
I do mine by hand and it's fine. But I don't usually double the recipe.

shanie5

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 8:34 pm
I use the mixer. If I double it, I just do it twice as it will overflow the bowl otherwise.

bananasplit

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 6:44 am
Im in middle of making thiss cake and I realized I ran out of baking soda. Can I just skip it?

calaflower

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 7:12 am
I'm VERY surprised on the reviews of the cake! This has to be the best, easiest chocolate cake (and I loooove chocolate cake)!!!
I was given this recipe as substituting plain cold water instead of milk, and making sure to put in boiling water at end...
Not so sure the other substitutes are ok..
And yes, the baking soda is important

naomi6

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 5:25 am
Well now there is margarine that's 0% use it allot don't see a difference

naomi6

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 5:40 am
Do you melt the cocoa in the boiling water our just put it in? My mom used to do out with orange juice is it just as good?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 6:25 am
naomi6 wrote:
Do you melt the cocoa in the boiling water our just put it in? My mom used to do out with orange juice is it just as good?
Just add in the cocoa, no melting necessary.

pause

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 6:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
(from the cream-filled fudge cupcake recipe)

Chocolate Frosting:
8 Tbsp cocoa
10 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
8 Tbsp water
6 Tbsp oil

Place alll ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir vigorously until well combined and smooth, adding water if necessary to create a thick, creamy frosting.
(If frosting becomes too watery, you can slowly add additional confectioner's sugar.)

I just tried this recipe and while it may be a good glaze, it is not a creamy frosting. I wanted a proper frosting that I could pipe onto the cupcake and this recipe did not come out remotely like that.

Just putting this out for those who may find and want to try this in the future.

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 7:47 pm
pause wrote:
I just tried this recipe and while it may be a good glaze, it is not a creamy frosting. I wanted a proper frosting that I could pipe onto the cupcake and this recipe did not come out remotely like that.

Just putting this out for those who may find and want to try this in the future.

USe the recipe on the back of the hershey cocoa can for the kind of icing you can pipe.

Havah99

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 8:34 pm
Can I use coconut milk? Thanks
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins