Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Diabetic coming for dinner - salmon recipes please

pumpkinsbubby

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 8:43 am
I'm having a guest tonight who's diabetic. I am looking for an interesting recipe for raw salmon fillets. I'd like it to have a good flavor, though, but without using any sugar substitutes. Any ideas, please. Do you know if honey is okay?

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 9:00 am
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
I'm having a guest tonight who's diabetic. I am looking for an interesting recipe for raw salmon fillets. I'd like it to have a good flavor, though, but without using any sugar substitutes. Any ideas, please. Do you know if honey is okay?

Are you looking for ideas of how to serve the salmon raw, like sushi? Or how to cook it.

You can poach salmon. Salt and pepper fillets, then place in a skillet. Fill skillet until about 1/3 to 1/2 way up skillet with red wine. Or you can use vegetable broth. I've done it both ways. Top with chopped peppers and lemon juice. Bring liquid to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 9:09 am
Just stop thinking 'sweet' because any sweet is potentially a problem. So yes, honey is a problem. Shame if you'd make the proteins into sweet foods, when that's the best part of the meal for them. Proteins and veggies.

We make Morrocan fish using Salmon, with colorful peppers, tomatoes, and lots of paprika.

10 portions of salmon/boneless fish
1/3 cup olive oil
2 coarsely chopped sweet red peppers
1 coarsely chopped yellow peppers
1 hot pepper (optional)
6 tomatoes, sliced
1 head of garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro), coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons paprika
water
salt

Layer fish pot with veggies and fresh herbs, then fish, then half the paprika, then veggies and fresh herbs, fish and paprika. Add water up to 3/4 of pot. Simmer for 1 1/2 hrs.

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 9:13 am
Some diabetics use honey and some won't. Honey is an ingredient in many recipes in a cookbook I use recommended by his Dr. OTOH a diabetic was appalled I was using honey. He acted like I was poisoning him. It is better to ask.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 9:24 am
Salmon Persillade
• 6 appetizer slices baby salmon fillet, 4 ounces each, skin removed
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1 1/4 cups lightly packed fresh parsley leaves (one 30 gram pre-checked package, leaves only)
• 2 large garlic cloves
• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
• 1 teaspoon olive oil (can add more)

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut salmon into 1 1/2 - 2” squares. Rinse the salmon and soak in lemon juice for 10 minutes. Discard lemon juice and pat salmon dry. Set aside.
Chop the parsley leaves and garlic cloves. (This can be done in the food processor if so desired.) Combine the chopped parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add the olive oil and mix gently to combine. Spoon the persillade evenly over the salmon pieces.
Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
(You can use the above for 1 1/2 lbs. salmon cut any way and bake 18-20 minutes for larger size pieces.)

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 9:26 am
Like what Chani said why the sweet?
A good quality salmon is even good just baked with a little salt. Make a dill sauce for those who want more.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:06 am
No need to go sweet at all. Salmon fillet spread with a mixture of wholegrain mustard and mayo, and bake. Or spray with oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and dill, and drizzle with lime juice.
If you do want sweet, some diabetics do better with agave nectar, so spread with a bit of mayo, salt and pepper, some cornflake crumbs and a drizzle of agave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics