Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Gift for those hosting my guests

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:36 am
Any ideas? I have about 15 people hosting my collective 70 guests and they certainly each deserve some tangible present. Would like to spend around $10 each (but will go higher if that becomes untenable).

(anon because location might come up and some identifying features in post)

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:06 am
We have gotten in the past bottle of wine, tray of chocolate, tray of candy and nuts, candy dish, nice serving spoons for salad, cake knife, fancy cork screw set, small vase, bowl or tray wrapped nicely.

All of these are in your budget, no need to spend more $$

sky

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:11 am
We host a lot for others and sometimes get gifts. These are my observations:
Best gift: Book for my children
Cutest Gift: Guest Book for guest room
Practical gift: bottle of wine , set of kitchen towels (I think they were purchased at Marshalls or Home good, but were very pretty).

Others: Pitcher, serving bowl, napkin rings (presented prettily on a paper towel roll covered in wrapping paper and wrapped in cellophane), Fruit or candy platters, or cheaper liquor that is still good - such as amaretto (I use it in baking)

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:29 am
Thank you all...anything that you get a lot of that you absolutely don't want to get again? ("another serving piece?") I don't want to run myself ragged being creative, but I am afraid the gift won't be appreciated if it's done too often...

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:38 am
I wouldn't do wine unless the hosts actually like wine. I think a game would be a fun gift ( like banangrams, monopoly deal, anomia, etc.) or a book or liquor are all nice. I like interesting spices, oils or jams, but you have to know your crowd.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:50 am
tichellady wrote:
I wouldn't do wine unless the hosts actually like wine. I think a game would be a fun gift ( like banangrams, monopoly deal, anomia, etc.) or a book or liquor are all nice. I like interesting spices, oils or jams, but you have to know your crowd.

Most (but not all) hosts are empty nesters, and not sure if they would appreciate games. No idea if they like wine or jams etc. Books- ideas for topics vary so widely, wouldn't even know where to start with this (plus they can cost upwards of $20).... which brings me back to boring old serving pieces.....

teddyb

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 4:33 pm
a nut, candy or dried fruit dish? (something that they can save if they want)

a serving dish... they can always re-gift it if they dont need or want it.

boysrus

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 4:37 pm
giftcard to your local bookstore or seforim store...

Dev80

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 4:40 pm
A set of pretty/unique trivets

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:48 pm
if the hosts are empty nesters, and if you know their kids are far, maybe a long distance calling card? or a maybe a nice photo frame, with a picture of the kids again if you are close with the hosts enough to know that

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:55 pm
I host and the only gift I got was a bottle of sparkling grape juice. I would appreciate anything. Chocolates are nice. I like platters like the kind from Home Goods. I think they are near your budget. Honestly even a plain thank you card would be appreciated.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 6:22 pm
What I have done is send them a card stating that I've made a donation to an organization that provides local hachnosas kallah services. I always felt that I has way too much "stuff" and didn't want candy, flowers or wine, and that my neighbors/friends would feel the same. I received many nice comments on it.

tropicalrainforest

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 6:29 pm
My parents are empty nesters and host a lot . My mothers favorite hostess gifts are the exotic olive oil/ vinegar sets , fruit platters ,and fancy soap and lotion dispenser sets for a guest bathroom . Most people appreciate wine , chocolate and nut platters and housewares .

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:13 pm
You can get orchids at Home Depot, sometimes they have them starting at $10-12, whole foods also sometimes has, they can put them in a bag, it's a nicer presentation but may cost more.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:51 pm
Ooohh I love the idea about the orchids. You can also get nice ones at Trader Joes.

I've gotten fancy soaps, candy dishes, dessert bowls, salad servers, and a nice sefer etc.

The sefer was cute - it was a book in English about positivity or something like that. Very cute and different.

And I'm not an empty nester.

Just don't get candy serving bowls. I have several and have NEVER used any of them.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you all...anything that you get a lot of that you absolutely don't want to get again? ("another serving piece?") I don't want to run myself ragged being creative, but I am afraid the gift won't be appreciated if it's done too often...

we once got a leather bound havdala card. I dont host in order to get a gift, so its not like I was disappointed or anything, but its totally useless for me and its shaimos. so I feel kinda stuck with it.

I love getting serving pieces because I'm too cheap to buy myself nice ones, and I also like getting candy platters because my kids go absolutely NUTS over it, I never buy that stuff and it literally makes their shabbos when we get stuff like that.

I dont think you have to worry too much, getting a gift for your hosts is appropriate and its nice that you want to get something people will appreciate, but you cant please all the people all the time. do your best and I think you'll be fine. enjoy all your guests! (I hope you arent doing all the cooking for 70 people???)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
we once got a leather bound havdala card. I dont host in order to get a gift, so its not like I was disappointed or anything, but its totally useless for me and its shaimos. so I feel kinda stuck with it.

I love getting serving pieces because I'm too cheap to buy myself nice ones, and I also like getting candy platters because my kids go absolutely NUTS over it, I never buy that stuff and it literally makes their shabbos when we get stuff like that.

I dont think you have to worry too much, getting a gift for your hosts is appropriate and its nice that you want to get something people will appreciate, but you cant please all the people all the time. do your best and I think you'll be fine. enjoy all your guests! (I hope you arent doing all the cooking for 70 people???)

No, not doing all the cooking - but some!
Thanks for this and everyone else for all ideas.
Basically, to sum up = everyone has different tastes (some hate serving pieces, some love them) so whatever I do will be appreciated by some and not by others. Got it! Maybe I will go for flowers.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 8:31 pm
I'm in the same position. Thinking about what to get friends that are hosting. I think for friends that I really know I am going to try to personalize it (if they have kids maybe a gift card to a movie and dinner). Other people who I am not so close with May get a serving platter or something to that effect.

momto2

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 9:38 pm
My go to gift lately is monogrammed hand towels. I buy 2 towels, the store wraps them in cellophane with a pretty ribbon and everyone seems to like it and it's pretty inexpensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics