Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
The shabbos project

ahuvah4

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 10:25 pm
What are you doing for the Oct 24-25 Shabbat Project ?[youtube]http://vimeo.com/107860830[/youtube]

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 10:30 pm
I really wanted to invite a couple I know over, but I seriously have no room for sleepovers and they live too far to walk over Sad

IRock

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 11:45 pm
Same here, ra-mom. 😕

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 11:50 pm
Going to a bar mitzvah in a different city. I'd Sad about not getting to participate in the Shabbos Project but the bar mitzvah is a happy occasion so Smile... whatever!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 11:53 pm
In my area people are volunteering to host for sleeping as needed, and we hope to take them up on that, since we are in the same boat as you. Maybe you can ask around and find out if that option is available.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:48 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
In my area people are volunteering to host for sleeping as needed, and we hope to take them up on that, since we are in the same boat as you. Maybe you can ask around and find out if that option is available.
I do not know why I feel weird asking for such a favor in my neighborhood. Confused
Maybe it is the general lack of space and large family sizes.
I also do not know if my friends will feel comfortable sleeping elsewhere.
I need someone to push me. Very Happy

I would also love to find out if there are any collective programs around the neighborhood where they would feel comfortable Friday night after the meal, Shabbos morning or afternoon. They are totally unaffiliated and I would love to give them an experience out of my tiny apartment.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:51 am
I understand... I'm planning to choose very carefully because I really want the overall experience to be positive and I have to make sure the sleeping hosts contribute to that!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:51 am
I would also love to find out if there are any collective programs around the neighborhood where they would feel comfortable Friday night after the meal, Shabbos morning or afternoon. They are totally unaffiliated and I would love to give them an experience out of my tiny apartment.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can research this?

Ritty

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 1:00 am
Who exactly is invited? Does it must be someone that's Jewish?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 1:02 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
I understand... I'm planning to choose very carefully because I really want the overall experience to be positive and I have to make sure the sleeping hosts contribute to that!
That would be very important to me too.

How I wish they were doing something like this in Boro Park.
http://www.boropark.com/video-.....bush/

ahuvah4 wrote:
What are you doing for the Oct 24-25 Shabbat Project ?[youtube]http://vimeo.com/107860830[/youtube]

Thanks you guys, you have inspired me to reach out to someone in the neighborhood who I would trust with my guests and see if she knows who I can ask.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Oct 15 2014, 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 1:04 am
Ritty wrote:
Who exactly is invited? Does it must be someone that's Jewish?

Yes, shabbos is for the Jewish people Smile http://www.theshabbosproject.o.....w_wcB

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 1:35 am
editing because this thread is open to the public and anyone googling can read. Too bad because it was a good post.

Chippies

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:27 pm
I'm just wondering how the Shabbos Project prep seems to be going in other cities. I honestly think it's a huge flop in my city. I asked several of my non-frum friends and cousins if they are interested in keeping shabbos for the shabbos project and each of them said "no". I then asked them if they know anyone who is and they either said that they haven't discussed it with anyone, or that anyone they have discussed it with also won't be keeping it. Most of my friends/cousins will have shabbos dinner as they do anyway. One friend is going to a pre-shabbos party. Two are going to the challah bake. No one is going to keep shabbos. They have other plans. I also find that where I live, there aren't so many community events on shabbos. The big orthodox shuls are doing something, but none of my friends live close to the orthodox communities, so they can't walk to the event even if they wanted to be part of it. Although there are billboards up everywhere, I find that the information is lacking on the website. One of my friends just thought that the shabbos project was for people who are totally unaffilliated and therefore there was "nothing in it for her" (even though she does not keep shabbos). I'm majorly disappointed in my city. I've already spoken to two rabbis about it, and they agree that it hasn't been organized well here, but that there are issues beyond anyone's control (like the fact that none of the conservative or reform temples want anything to do with the shabbos project).

And that's my vent. How's it going in other cities?

Aribenj

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:07 pm
I'm confused about the whole thing.
It's an amazing idea and when South Africa did it last year it was so inspiring and I couldn't wait to be involved this year.
But most people who are not shomer shabbos do not live within walking distance. And the ones that do are not interested in keeping shabbos. I have no space to host a sleepover. At least not a sleepover that will lead to a positive shabbos experience...
I signed up to be a hostess for meals and they sent me 3 people to contact to invite for shabbos. One lives an hour away, another family I happen to know and they happen to be shomer shabbos but they live 30 minutes away, and another one is a yeshivish family of 7.
So I didn't invite anyone and shabbos will be my family and my parents (all of whom keep shabbos)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics