Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
First time really overweight.
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 3:02 am
I have gained 70 pounds in this pregnancy. I am nearing the end and besides the enormous weight gain which feels so uncomfortable I have no idea how to dress?
I have been thin and now I don't know how to dress for thicker legs. big stomach ( I imagine its not going anywhere even after I give birth) thighs and butt. The only plus is now I finally have breast but they are normal looking now ( I was nothing before) not huge so looking at plus size models doesn't help since I don't have big breasts to balance the rest.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 9:40 am
Anyone Crying

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 11:06 am
Are you retaining a lot of water? Maybe that's why you've gained so much and once you give birth, that will go down. Is your practitioner concerned? Sounds rather alarming to me. I don't really have answers, but is this a first birth? If not, how much did you gain by your other births?

piece

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 4:59 pm
I'm not good at fashion, but to hide big legs, I would imagine long skirts. feel good.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 8:11 pm
Stick to skirts about 6 inches and black opaque tights

I have noticed in recent months many women with very heavy legs wearing very sheer nude hose
Probably because of herd mentality
Frum women tend to be clones even though what looks fabulous on a 19 year old 5' 4" 120 lb girl often will look hideous on a 50 year old 200 lb woman

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 8:13 pm
Maxi skirts with a black t shirt that fits well.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 6:45 am
OP here I am still big after giving birth and the belly is there as the big thighs and butt. Still don't know how to dress. so I look like a depressed bag lady. Crying

Optione

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 6:50 am
That's hard. Try short, straight skirts with patterned tops. Good luck, and mazal tov.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 7:21 am
How can I wear straight skirts if everything is bulging out?

Barbara

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 7:27 am
amother wrote:
How can I wear straight skirts if everything is bulging out?

You buy one that fits, of course.

You need to go to the store, and try things on, but pencil skirts can look lovely on larger women.

Optione

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 7:32 am
Barbara wrote:
You buy one that fits, of course.

You need to go to the store, and try things on, but pencil skirts can look lovely on larger women.

Exactly Wink

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 7:34 am
I second the maxi skirt.
Wear it with a pretty top and/or cardigan, cool necklace, cool shoes. Do your hair/wig nicely, wear makeup. You'll look as gorgeous and put together as always, and looking good will give you the confidence you need to lose the rest of the weight.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 7:45 am
As someone who used to be obese:

Buy some nice scarves to wear around your neck that flow down to your waist. Color scaves look great on top of a black top. Right now zig-zag comfy blanket-like sweaters are in, look for those, but nothing too thick. Go easy on the makeup but throw on some lip gloss, mascara, and fun earrings.

Don't go crazy, but having a nice handbag over your shoulder can put a whole outfit together, and can stick with you regardless of weight!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 8:33 am
I will second the loose fitting, but lightweight, sweater with a well-fitting pencil skirt. Put on a cute pair of boots, pretty earrings and have your shaitel and makeup done just so. You deserve to feel pretty and you can look like a million bucks at a higher weight. Oh, and from one curvy girl to another: spanx is your best friend.
Btw, if you read about plus size models, many of them say they wear extra padding up top (or at the hips) to make them look bigger and more balanced. No one has a perfect body. Mazel tov on your new baby!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:16 am
Even when I was thin I couldn't wear pencil skirt

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:21 am
Honey, if I can wear a pencil skirt, you can! It's all about the tailoring...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:52 am
what's your height and weight? That might help a bit more in directing you.
Also, are you going out to work or home most of the time? The dress code is much different depending on where you need to go.

I too suffered from tremendous weight gain after having a baby. I am short and looked terrible. The main issue was the clothing. If I had something that fit and looked good on me I felt much better. Since this happened to me after all births, the last time around I shopped for 2 tops in my 8th month to be worn right after. (Still, 2 tops didn't get me very far but it was a start.) Each time I had to join weight watchers to loose the weight. Still on it now and baby is not a baby.... more like 2 yrs old!

Mazel tov and enjoy the baby!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:57 am
Been there, done that.
I feel for you. I gained more than 70lb (30+kg) with my first pregnancy.
I almost doubled my starting weight. None of my clothes fit.
(And I had an eating disorder in my teens, so this was AWFUL.)
Don't worry, you'll find your way back. Take it slowly (even if you want to do it quickly).
There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Baruch Hashem, after 2 more babies (yes I had 3 under 3), I still managed to lose the weight.
I have only 5lb (2kg) left to go.
(Baruch Hashem without using any diet pills, diet shakes, crazy crash diets, lap band or gym membership...but the natural way as Hashem intended.)

This is the best tip I have ever heard and always use when clothes shopping (or dressing):
Always buy clothes 1 size bigger than you are.
(Obviously, as long as the clothes are not falling off you, or underwear, but things like tops, skirts...)

Sounds weird but is totally true. Firstly skintight clothing can cause problems of tsniut anyway.
Secondly, there's always a little extra room in the fabric so it will drape nicely, smooth over any lumps or bumps that would otherwise show in a tighter top.
Thirdly, because it is not skintight, it makes you look thinner, without any extra effort (or spanx).

Layering is good. Depending on your body shape, use colour or pattern in one place only and keep the rest neutral (the eye is then drawn only to the colour or pattern and not the whole outline of your figure).
E.g. I used to wear black maxi skirts and loose black shells with a loose coloured layered top over it (like blue or purple) - it was like a cross between a poncho and a t-shirt with a cowl neck. Very good at hiding my real shape while still looking nice.

Any "floaty" type material shirt (chiffon, e.g.) or tunic over a long black skirt and black shell will look good (shirts I found had to be long enough to cover my hips, but not so long as over my behind, because then they accented my rear rather than disguised it...)

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 12:35 pm
Personally I never looked good in a straight skirt. A line is my friend. Also at my heaviest times I wore a black a-line skirt with black tops and brightly colored shells. Good shoes, sheital, makeup added to the clean look. I disagree with getting a size bigger. It makes you look bigger. You can buy bigger and tailor it. Tailored look is slenderizing.

You need to create a look that is fashionable and as slenderizing as you can. It's all about where you draw the eye. And playing to the best of your features and body type.

Macys has a great plus size clothing dept.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 1:08 pm
You will not be 70lbs overweight after giving birth. You will lose at least 15 lbs or so straight away, maybe more. Baby, placenta, water etc. Eat healthy and breastfeed and you will probably lose a lot more over the next few months as well. When I watched what I was eating while breastfeeding I lost weight.

I'm also about 50 lbs overweight and my legs are NOT fat. I'm 5 5. I personally think pencil skirts look great on me, its just hard finding the right size and cut, especially in frum shops, which only go up to a certain size, at least the ones near me. And the ones in not frum shops are too short. I recently found one that fit well and bought three.

I often wear long denim skirts either in a line or straight...but I feel they make me look fat. You need the right material and cut...too slinky and every lump will show. I do have some nice long shabbos skirts which are flattering enough. But normally for shabbos and when I want to dress up I wear a pencil skirt with a loose top that disguises my tummy area. Or a sweater. And nice boots.

Also, spanx or similar are your friend!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics