Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What to do in Boro Park in January?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 4:38 pm
Help me please, New Yorkers! There are these cheap tickets to NY but you have to buy them soon, and I want to take my daughter as a bas mitzvah present. She needs a real shot of Jewish inspiration. I feel being around so many Yidden and seeing how much bigger the Jewish community is, will help her. (She finds Yiddishkeit boring.) Where can we go in January in NY that will show her the best aspects of the community and make her feel good about being a frum Jew? We would be there for 2 days during the week (prob. Tues/Wed). THANKS!

kb

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 4:46 pm
Maybe a night at Ohr Naava?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 4:54 pm
That's a good idea! Do they have things that are suitable for dd's age?

kb

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 5:00 pm
I honestly don't know - never went. Why don't you call them and ask? (google ohr naava they come up)

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 7:03 pm
How old is she? What does she enjoy? It would be nice if you could come during Chanuka, as in January, it's cold and there's nothing publicly Jewish going on. You could check if there's any concerts in the area. Maybe volunteer at Masbia soup kitchen? Go shopping on 13th Avenue?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 11:25 am
Great idea about Masbia! I'd really like to do that. Are there any other places we could volunteer at, just out of curiosity?

We'll definitely do some shopping, but I don't want that to be the focus of the trip. I want her to feel connected and proud to be frum.

Thanks for your suggestions - they're very helpful!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
Great idea about Masbia! I'd really like to do that. Are there any other places we could volunteer at, just out of curiosity?

We'll definitely do some shopping, but I don't want that to be the focus of the trip. I want her to feel connected and proud to be frum.

Thanks for your suggestions - they're very helpful!
Then I think you should reach out to Rabbi Wallerstein at Ohr Naava for some ideas. I think you want her to meet other girls her age and engage in inspirational Jewish activities with them.

summer0808

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:29 pm
Maybe if one of the high schools are having their production then it would be nice for her to see the girls putting up a beautiful production. The size of the cast and the audience!!! They usually perform Motzai Shabbos and Sunday so I don't know if it will work for you.

Also see if you can take her to other neighborhoods in Brooklyn. For additional exposure to a lot of Jewish life. Eg Williamsburg, Crown Heights, Flatbush. They are all accessible by local mass and/or mass Jewish transit.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:43 pm
summer0808 wrote:
Maybe if one of the high schools are having their production then it would be nice for her to see the girls putting up a beautiful production. The size of the cast and the audience!!! They usually perform Motzai Shabbos and Sunday so I don't know if it will work for you.

Also see if you can take her to other neighborhoods in Brooklyn. For additional exposure to a lot of Jewish life. Eg Williamsburg, Crown Heights, Flatbush. They are all accessible by local mass and/or mass Jewish transit.
Those are some great ideas.

Aetrsnrady

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:03 pm
What about the Living Torah Museum or even the Jewish Children's museum? Some of the exhibits in the children's museum are for younger children, but there are others (on the upper floors, I believe,) that are more mature and beautifully done and can be appreciated by any age

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:17 pm
I just wanted to let the op know that you sound so positive and I love how you respond to everyone :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics