Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah in Heavy Duty Kitchen-Aid?
Previous  1  2

debsey

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 3:35 pm
Thanks, Barbara. One question - is bread flour the same thing as high-gluten flour?

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 4:11 pm
debsey wrote:
Thanks, Barbara. One question - is bread flour the same thing as high-gluten flour?

No. I found this:

Quote:
If you bought King Arthur bread flour and King Arthur high-gluten flour, the difference in protein level is 12.7% for the bread flour, 14.2% for the Lancelot - significant. The reason your bread might be denser with high-gluten flour is that high-gluten flour needs more liquid than bread flour to attain the optimum dough consistency; a dough with too little liquid compared to flour will be dense and dry. So you can definitely use the high-gluten; just add more water, and expect a chewier texture

debsey

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 1:24 am
My challahs came out great!
Thanks perquacky, ROFL and Barbara and everyone else.....I'm still working my way through recipes. So far, I made two that were posted here. Next friday will be another two until my kids vote on their favorite.....

perquacky

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 1:56 am
Glad to hear it!
My next goal is to try a recipe with weight measurements instead of volume. That's how the pros do it. Got my kitchen scale. Now I just have to find the time. . . .

ROFL

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 2:14 am
So glad you made the challah ! Enjoy !
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads