Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
DC area - looking at Fairfax?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:10 pm
Hello! DH is looking at a job in VA, just outside the Beltway. I know nothing about this area. We're looking at Fairfax, among other places, because there's a Chabad House (we're MO but often attend Chabad) and some schools to choose from. Does anyone have any feedback at all? Anything from frumkeit and schools to nice stores and pretty parks, we will only have one chance to visit in the next couple months, so any impressions or experiences would be really appreciated as we make this decision.

ruchelbuckle

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:40 pm
Fairfax is a nice upscale area-- but devoid of much frumkeit. While there might be a chabad with a minyan, I don't think there is much in the way of a frum community. I am very familiar with the area, and have not heard of any frum schools, etc...

You will probably do better choosing an area of Montgomery county, MD to live in. The largest frum community is in the city of silver spring, which runs the gamut from MO to yeshivish.

An easier commute to Fairfax might be one of the suburbs with a smaller frum community. Rockville and Potomac/Chevy Chase have small MO communities. Both these towns have chabads, plus YI type shuls (I think).

There are two proper orthodox shuls (not just weekday minyanim) in DC itself. One is in The Georgetown section (as in Hoyas!)-- kesher Israel. The other is on 16th st and jonquil --- a pretty residential neighborhood (as is georgetown). If you are city people, those might be worth looking into. I don't know much about these shuls, but I am pretty sure that the shuls on 16th is a serious MO place-- similar to what you'd find in tea neck/ riverdale

I assume your husband is an investment banker or some other well paying professional...none of the neighborhoods mentioned are inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination!!!!

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:43 pm
My dad worked in Arlington and we lived in Silver Spring. Potomac is a little closer. There's also Rockville. I know nothing about Fairfax- sorry.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 4:00 pm
I grew up in Fairfax but preChabad. Every time I visit, though, its presence is much stronger.

Are you going to be a stay at home mom and shuttle your kids to Maryland for school? Are you going to drive the beltway every week or so to get Kosher meat and supplies? The Chabad shul goers are not shomer Shabos, for the most part. Are you going to be Ok with being the only woman to cover your hair or not wear pants?

Every year, the traffic grows; an hour is added in the morning and another hour is added in the evening. At some point, it will be rush hour traffic 24 hours a day.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 6:07 pm
I grew up non-frum in Burke (right next to Fairfax). Nice place to live, but it wouldn't be an easy place to be frum, at all. There's not much there. Your best option would be Silver Spring. If that doesn't work, try Rockville.

anuta

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
Hello! DH is looking at a job in VA, just outside the Beltway. I know nothing about this area. We're looking at Fairfax, among other places, because there's a Chabad House (we're MO but often attend Chabad) and some schools to choose from. Does anyone have any feedback at all? Anything from frumkeit and schools to nice stores and pretty parks, we will only have one chance to visit in the next couple months, so any impressions or experiences would be really appreciated as we make this decision.

Hi, please send me a personal message, I lived in Fairfax 11 years, just moved from there a year ago

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 8:36 pm
I live in Fairfax. It is a small, but I would argue growing Jewish community.

Shuls: There is a conservative shul (right wing for conservative - some shommer shabbos families), and the chabad as mentioned above. The chabad is quasi-MO in its membership. There are some MO women who don't cover their hair all the time and wear pants - but are fully shommer shabbos, there are some who do cover and don't wear pants, there are some who drive and park around the corner. The community is very friendly and welcoming. Most of the chabad families are those that would normally attend an MO shul (I.e. they are not chabad themselves), but by virtue of living in fairfax, attend Chabad.

Schools: There is Gesher Jewish Day School (K-8) which many chabad families send their kids to - it's a community day school with many frum teachers (on both the English & Hebrew sides of the program). Others send their kids to school in Maryland.

Food: There is a Trader Joe's & Shoppers with kosher meat and basic kosher supplies (duck sauce, gefilta fish, some frozen things, cheese etc.) and one of the Maryland kosher grocery stores delivers to Fairfax once per week. There are no kosher restaurants in Fairfax - have to go to DC or Maryland for that.

Neighborhood: Upper-middle class suburb called Mantua. Homes start at $400k and go upward. Those closest to chabad are the most expensive (min. $500k for a fixer-upper, $800k move-in-ready). Apartment rentals are scarce and of low quality, rent $1800 + for 2 bedrooms and no roach infestation. No eruv. On the other hand, it's very safe, very pretty (I live in a forest and see deer in my yard regularly), and there are lots of open green spaces. There is also a JCC nearby with a gym and other Jewish programming. Chabad, the conservative shul, and the JCC all have reputable preschools.

Commute: I live in Fairfax and commute to DC everyday. If you leave before 7am it's about a 30 minute drive, after can be over an hour. There is a metro in Vienna, VA that takes you to DC in 30 minutes + 10 minute drive to the metro + waiting + parking = 1hr or so. Without rush hour, it's about a 25 minute drive to DC, 30 minutes to the main Jewish institutions (stores, restaurants) in Rockville or Silver Spring Maryland.

If you're coming for a visit, I suggest reaching out to Rabbi Deutch (http://www.chabadva.org) - he might be able to set you up with a family to stay with, or certainly for meals.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating