Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone with experience in this situation? (CSE & NYC)

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 9:48 pm
My son is a late-December 2010, and will need some services through CSE next year. By all logic he should repeat "kindergarten" next year and not go into Pre1a. As far as I know in NYC the current law is that a child should be registered for Kindergarten with the calendar year. Especially now that many 4 yr-old programs are now UPK, they may not take a child who should be in Kindergarten. Will CSE give me a hard time about providing my son services if he's not in a Pre1a?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
My son is a late-December 2010, and will need some services through CSE next year. By all logic he should repeat "kindergarten" next year and not go into Pre1a. As far as I know in NYC the current law is that a child should be registered for Kindergarten with the calendar year. Especially now that many 4 yr-old programs are now UPK, they may not take a child who should be in Kindergarten. Will CSE give me a hard time about providing my son services if he's not in a Pre1a?
They work by age guidelines, not grade level. So he would not be eligable for another year of UPK. He also wouldn't be eligable for a SEIT even though he will be in kindergarten. He could get P3 services instead if he qualifies. In general, it is harder to obtain services after 5 so come to your meeting prepared, make sure his teachers are prepared, etc.

zigi

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:04 pm
my son was held back he didn't get seit like the year before but he got counseling instead

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:08 pm
Op here, So my son's issue isn't primarily cognitive, but more speech and hence social.

zigi

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:09 pm
the counseling was for social and he got speech and ot. he was too smart for p3

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:29 pm
It probably depends on your district but from what I've seen there is usually no problem transferring services from CPSE to CSE. If the child was getting SEIT that generally progresses to SETSS (P4.) You do not need to keep the child with his "year" if you feel that preschool would be a better placement for him. I've done P4 for kids who are turning 5 but in a 4-year-old class.

A UPK school could choose not to accept your child because he wouldn't be eligible for UPK. That's a separate issue that I don't know about. But unrelated to CSE services. Speech issues tend to include language so that qualifies for P4 help if you ask for it the right way, and then the P4 provider can basically act as a SEIT if you're in the class of that age anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics