Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can a self employed individual collect unemployment?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 9:44 pm
I was self employed but have legally closed my business.

Am I allowed to file for unemployment? Is it only for individuals who worked for an employer?

Talya

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 9:52 pm
Unfortunately it is only for employees.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 9:55 pm
Talya wrote:
Unfortunately it is only for employees.

Thanks - just curious how you are so sure? I've been looking online for this info. and haven't been able to find it. I think we filed taxes properly (self employed) and if it helps my business was listed as an LLC.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:01 pm
why not try?

if you qualify great, if not then no harm done.

it will certainly help until you find a new job. besides you probably paid the taxes on yourself to the unemployment fund no? maybe you do qualify.

Talya

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:04 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
why not try?

if you qualify great, if not then no harm done.

it will certainly help until you find a new job. besides you probably paid the taxes on yourself to the unemployment fund no? maybe you do qualify.

Nope. For some reason unemployment tax doesn't work that way. I also have an LLC and begged my accountant to find a way to get it independently but couldn't find one. I've done research and asked around and that was always the answer I got. I was on unemployment at one point and I was told that self employed aren't eligible.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:05 pm
Talya wrote:
Nope. For some reason unemployment tax doesn't work that way. I also have an LLC and begged my accountant to find a way to get it independently but couldn't find one. I've done research and asked around and that was always the answer I got. I was on unemployment at one point and I was told that self employed aren't eligible.

which state do you live in?

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:06 pm
In order to collect unemployment, you need to be unemployed through no fault of your own, as in let go from your position. As the owner of your own business, you ended your own employment. I can't imagine that would qualify.

treetop12

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:37 pm
You should speak to your accountant for the future. There are ways of structuring your payroll so that you are paid as an employee (receive a W2 instead of a 1099 or a K1 at the end of the year) and you would pay unemployment tax. There are specific requirements that need to be met in order to collect unemployment. (They vary by state.) The most important one is that you had to have paid in for a minimum amount of time (in NJ it is at least 20 weeks in the calendar year).
Good luck!

leah233

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:46 am
I was told by the unemployment office in NJ that a self employed person can collect unemployment if they paid into unemployment (usually by a W-2 withholding) and can show dissolution papers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics