Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
LA vacation advice

countrygal

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:08 am
Hello,

We are coming to LA for 2 days, please can anyone recommend the following:

1. Nice meaty restaurants
2. Nice cafes for breakfast
3. Delis where we can buy food to take away to Hawaii
4. Good sushi places
5. Good kosher supermarket for stocking up to go to Hawaii.

Also please can you recommend must do things if we are there for 1.5 days.

Many thanks

CG

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:37 am
countrygal wrote:
Hello,

We are coming to LA for 2 days, please can anyone recommend the following:

1. Nice meaty restaurants
2. Nice cafes for breakfast
3. Delis where we can buy food to take away to Hawaii
4. Good sushi places
5. Good kosher supermarket for stocking up to go to Hawaii.

Also please can you recommend must do things if we are there for 1.5 days.

Many thanks

CG

1) Ditmas, Shilos, and if you are willing to make the drive Tierra Sur at Herzog Winery (very worth the food, its just a drive)
2) I'm assuming your are talking about pico area, Delice cafe is AMAZING, and Eilat Bakery (9060 west pico). In the la brea area there is La Brea Bagel and Elite Cafe
3) Western Kosher on Pico probably can package food for travel. When we went to Hawaii we ordered food from Noah's Ark in Jersey and they shipped it straight to the hotel for us.
4) Meshuga Sushi - they have 2 locations La Brea area and Pico area
5) Western Kosher, Ralphs, and many others

http://mykosherla.com/

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 12:16 pm
Let us know where you are staying and who you are traveling with because it makes a difference. For example, Ditmas is a great restaurant for a couple, but I would not take kids there....

Grandma 1

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
1) Ditmas, Shilos, and if you are willing to make the drive Tierra Sur at Herzog Winery (very worth the food, its just a drive)
2) I'm assuming your are talking about pico area, Delice cafe is AMAZING, and Eilat Bakery (9060 west pico). In the la brea area there is La Brea Bagel and Elite Cafe
3) Western Kosher on Pico probably can package food for travel. When we went to Hawaii we ordered food from Noah's Ark in Jersey and they shipped it straight to the hotel for us.
4) Meshuga Sushi - they have 2 locations La Brea area and Pico area
5) Western Kosher, Ralphs, and many others

http://mykosherla.com/

If it's anything like it was a few years ago, I would definitely second Delice Cafe for breakfast, as well as dessert. Tierra Sur in Oxnard, is another must

countrygal

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 2:43 pm
Thanks so much for this info, we are staying at the intercontinental Avenue of the Stars.

cg

countrygal

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 2:44 pm
Thanks so much for this info, we are staying at the intercontinental Avenue of the Stars.

cg

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 3:22 pm
1. Ditmas (loud and fun, expensive), La Gondola (good food, not too modern or different but safe, expensive but less than ditmas), I don't like Shilo's, Bistro Natalie is good and more quiet than Ditmas. I love Got Kosher and Mexikosher, neither are fancy but their food is excellent (Got kosher has a nice ambiance, mexikosher is more of a take out or quick eat at place). Tierra Sur in Oxnard is good but I wouldn't go there just to eat, it's very far.
2. Eilat and Delice are nice. Pico cafe has good food and service is good if they don't have too many people. Bibi's warmstone bakery has great pita and shakshuka.
3. Pico Kosher Deli, La Gondola can pack and freeze food for you but you have to call to discuss that with Nir, the owner.
4. Sushiko is great. Meshuga is also good
5. Glatt Mart has a lot of stuff but can be an interesting cultural experience/ crowded and stressful (most of its clientele is Persian or Israeli). I think it has the best prices for kosher stuff.

Things to do:
see a concert at the Hollywood Bowl and bring a picnic lunch/dinner to eat there before
Go the malibu getty, see the ocean, hike at Point Magu state park in malibu and have lunch/dinner at the Fish Grill in Malibu
I love the Amazing LA Race but it can be expensive and I am not sure what dates you will be here, but it's a great way to see LA. Check it out online and on goldstar
There is a great science museum in downtown LA.
kayak at Marina del Ray
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics