Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Parisian Amothers: Please help with long stopovers in CDG

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 4:31 pm
We have a 14 hr stopover in CDG this coming week, from 6:30 pm to 8:20 am. Are there any nice, low-cost options near the airport to spend the night? We're on an extremely tight budget, but nervous to spend 14 hours in the airport.

On the return trip, Tuesday Oct 21, we'll have an 11 hour stopover during the daytime. Is it worth it to leave the airport and do some touring? Financially (I.e. is touring expensive) and convenience-wise?

TIA

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 4:53 pm
Sorry, I don't know about cheap hotels near the airport. Paris isn't known for being cheap. As far as the way back, 11 hours is a perfect amount of time to get out and see some of the city - go up the Eiffel Tower, walk the Champ Elysees, check out the Louvre or Musee D'Orsee (each is closed 1 day of the week, so check in advance for when you'll be there), maybe go to the Jewish area and get some delicious baked goods. Getting around isn't too expensive or complicated, but leave enough time to get back to the airport.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:29 am
FTR if you tour I advise:
Pletz (St Paul, rue des Rosiers) for the history
19e for the food and libraries
17e for the great restaurants

But you'd have to prioritize and see what's worth it. Subway can be long, taxi is expensive...

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:39 am
thanks for the responses

a friend of dh hooked us up with a yeshiva in paris that can pick us up from the airport, bring us back, and put us up for the night, for approx. 135 euro.

bunch more questions, which I don't know if you can answer, because they are specific to just stopping over:

will we need to get a visa in advance for leaving the airport? also, we're bringing an esrog from Israel with us - will the sticker from the Israeli gvmt be acceptable? what about luggage - do we need to collect them and then recheck, or do they transfer automatically?

and one more question: for the way back, we'd like to do a little touring - is it safe to look very visibly Jewish? (dh in kippa & tzitzis, me in tichel)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:49 am
I have a vague memory about a sticker in hebrew needing to be translated- at least in English? but not sure if it was in France or another neighbour country. But the police guys at the airport, do not read Hebrew for sure.

Looking Jewish never an issue for women (you basically don't unless you wear a magen david).
Kippa wise my rule is: are you afraid to be snatched your phone? are you afraid of weirdos as a lone woman there? if yes, put on a cap. So, depends on time and place and number. But I'm known to be a bit (?) paranoid and most around me don't really think like me.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 8:42 pm
Just to answer a few more of OP's questions...

-Visa: whether you need it or not depends on your nationality.
Israeli or US citizens can enter France (or other EU countries that are
Schengen treaty members) for up to 90days if I recall.

- Luggage: the standard practice is if you have an overnight connection
you will need to pick it up during the transit (ie the airport/airline
won't keep it for you overnight). Though on the way back, same day
daytime connection should let you check your luggage all the way through.
**GOLDEN RULE: CHECK LUGGAGE TAG AT THE CHECK IN.

- sightseeing:
You will obviously need to have some Euros.
From CDG you can take RER to central Paris, I think about 45min or so
though the train service is not most frequent. To be honest, I won't feel
comfortable taking RER late at night (after 9 or 9:30pm).
You can get carnets which are strips of tickets, each good for a single subway
rides. You can split them between multiple travelers, and they don't have
expiration.
Get a good map. Find out where sights you want to visit are and the closest subway.
If going to popular museums, see if you can buy tickets online
(Louvre is definitely long queue). There are several websites that list
kosher restaurants--so many excellent eatery places!
If you're coming in late autumn/winter, it gets dark early, though light-ups are pretty.

- cheap accommodation: look up Accor hotel chains or other general travel/hotel
reservation sights, though seems like you've sorted it out.
I'd check though how far you'll be travelling.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 8:57 pm
Ruchel, her husband will be there, wearing a kippa. Your opinion?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 9:02 pm
For someone who is not familiar with Paris, it is not recommended to look visibly Jewish. Just tuck in tzitzit and put on a cap. You aren't savvy enough to know the streets and the neighborhoods. Plenty of locals wear a kippah, and plenty don't.

June

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 7:32 pm
op here. thanks so much for all your replies

our first stopover was very smooth, bh. our luggage was transferred for us, and my dh's friend arranged for us to be put up overnight at his sons' yeshivah.

we're leaving tonight for a daytime stopover. I know the women in paris are sleeping now, but can anyone tell me how to get from the airport to the tourist-y areas by subway? is the subway safe to take in general?

thanks

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:29 am
Dolly I stand by what I said Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics