Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Oral fixation 4 yr old. help!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:41 am
4 year old dd chews on everything, when she has nothing to chew on, her hands are in her mouth. She is also very shy with adults, even her morah's who she knows for a long time. (Not sure if the two things a related).

Anyone have experuence with oral fixations like this?

Do they generally mean a bigger ussue, like spd?

She wants a chewy necklace, but im nit dure uf I should be "encouraging" her by getting her one...

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:53 am
get her the necklace. My kid has the necklace and still chews everything else, latest target is my kitchen chairs. she has low oral motor tone, my other kid's speech therapist showed me some exercises to do with her, I have to start doing it.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:32 am
She doesnt have any issues with speech or motor control.
I suspect its anxiety based. Like I said she is extremely shy around adults. Her dr said she doesnt have selective muetism, but she does appear that way. She chews when she us bired, but also in social situations where she is not comfortable .

If its anxiety based, im wondering if there are other things to do besides the chew neclace. Since then it wouldn't be serving any porpuse in correcting an oral issue. Or should I still get ut and let her chew?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:34 am
She doesnt have any issues with speech or motor control.
I suspect its anxiety based. Like I said she is extremely shy around adults. Her dr said she doesnt have selective muetism, but she does appear that way. She chews when she us bired, but also in social situations where she is not comfortable .

If its anxiety based, im wondering if there are other things to do besides the chew neclace. Since then it wouldn't be serving any porpuse in correcting an oral issue. Or should I still get it and let her chew?

goforit

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
4 year old dd chews on everything, when she has nothing to chew on, her hands are in her mouth. She is also very shy with adults, even her morah's who she knows for a long time. (Not sure if the two things a related).

Anyone have experuence with oral fixations like this?

Do they generally mean a bigger ussue, like spd?

She wants a chewy necklace, but im nit dure uf I should be "encouraging" her by getting her one...

Is this a new thing? Did she have strep recently? It can be twitch from pandas. Google it. Good luck.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:41 am
Sounds like anxiety, and it's actually very common to kick in at this age. Adults do similar things, like smoke and eat, it's just considered socially appropriate when they do it. Are you ok with having her chew gum? That can be very helpful. Try not to draw attention to her behavior because it will likely increase the anxiety. And you should think about ways to increase her confidence and lower her anxiety in applicable situations, if you aren't working on that already Smile

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:32 am
We are working on the social anxiety stuff. Enrolked her in dance lessons and gaving play dates more often, but she is fine amongst peers, its adilts she has issues with.

She doesnt keep gum in her mouth long enough fir it to help 😕

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:38 am
Look up Dr Bloom's Chewable Jewels. It looks like regular jewelry and she can chew on that when she feels the need.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 2:49 pm
I ordered her a chewy neclace.

Is this something that should be looked into further? Does it generally mean there is some other issue that she needs help with?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 4:01 pm
It seems pretty directly related to her anxiety, and you said you're already addressing that- so I think you're doing great. Like I said, it's very common at this age and not a cause for concern in and of itself- you just want to make sure to address any underlying concerns.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 6:27 pm
I think it will pass; but keep the doc informed. But one wonders if an adult did anything to scare her? Is there a way to evaluate that? Help with that? It is the selectivity of her nervousness that made me say that.

Chewing visibly might be a communication signal that says to the adult observer: "Look! I am still a baby. See, I am chewing and sucking just like a baby. Be nice. Be nurturing."

Was she cared for among older kids who were more advanced developmentally, and she was pressured to keep up with them, and couldn't?

Excuse me if I am off the mark.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:45 pm
I'm an OT. Does she ever do it when she is perfectly relaxed and surrounded by familiar people? If yes it's oral sensory seeking behaviors. If not, probably anxiety. Get the necklace either way, and if it's not anxiety offer crunchy foods often, use vibrating toothbrush, and massage cheeks/gums often

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:57 pm
I chewed as a kid. everything. in. sight. I did have anxiety and still do. I don't chew things anymore but I have other similar habits related to anxiety and sensory issues. so helping the anxiety will hopefully help in all areas.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:28 pm
She does it for sure when she is anxious. Like in her dance class (which she loves), if its her turn to do something solo, her hands will be in her mouth when doing it. Its more frequent and noticeable when she is anxious.
But I notice h er chewing on toys at home in the playroom too.

At home she is very active. Running, jumping, moving, stomping... But she is also able to sit and color or play a game for a while too.
She does like her music loud. She claims she cant hear it otherwise,m.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:46 pm
Her biggest issue is socially. She can talk for hours with friends, but when it comes to teachers, parents of her friends, her dr etc. She hardly says a word. Even if im with her. She answers with one word or a nod, and sometimes not at all.
Dr and teachers all say she will grow out of it...

She does well at school otherwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers