Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
My son is starting Ritalin- What do I need to know?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:18 am
My 6 year old son was just prescribed Ritalin. I am wiling to give it a try and see if it helps him. He has been in therapy for the last 3-4 years of his life and he is quite stuck now.
What do I need to know? Is changing his diet something I should be aware of? How can I be SURE it is the correct thing for him and the right dose?
Any information at all that can help me and him.
Thank you!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:15 am
you will only know by trying it

sometimes the first medicine works great and sometimes they need to change it

make sure he eats before he takes the pill

I kept my kids home the first day they took meds like this or changed meds

(I have 2 kids on ritalin now and dh is on ritalin - so that's what I'm basing this on)

chani8

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:00 am
I hope this is the yishua you've been looking for, for your son. There are things you should know, and I can't imagine using meds without having first read Dr Amen's book "The 6 Types of ADD." He will explain how the right meds for each specific type of ADD is so important.

If your child loses their smile, starts to look a bit like a zombie, gets depressed, starts to talk about death, or gets crazy angry, mean and nasty, then it's not the right stuff for his brain.

Please, read Dr Amen's book. Docs are quick to try Ritalin, and when it's the right stuff, it's like a miracle sometimes, but when it's wrong, it can get ugly. And there are other meds, as well as natural options. Become as knowledgeable as you can on this and be your child's advocate.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:04 am
You should ask your son's doctor these questions.

Why wouldn't you do that before giving your son medication?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 5:19 am
Thank you Chani and amother. I will try to get a hold of this book. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. I saw a difference in a half hour, it was very strange for me. I hope this works for him and he does not suffer any side effects.

chani8

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:06 am
It really does work that fast. Smile

Sometimes when it wears off, people get a little tired or grumpy. Don't punish at this time, just try to direct to something positive, perhaps snack time. Your child is young, but we found having a cup of coffee helpful. Perhaps a fruit or chocolate would be good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)