Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Who's idea to do shabbos project right after chagim???
Previous  1  2

Culturedpearls

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:31 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Smile but then there is a whole different aveera. Trust me.
I also believe that it was such a huge success in south africa because so many Jews there are traditional so this was not the craziest stretch of an idea.

Absolutely , it will not be a successful anywhere else like in South africa . But we will do our best.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:33 am
Definitely a man who planned it for this weekend. After the long holiday season (especially a cluster of 3 3-day holidays!) I normally like to make a simple Shabbat and spend most of it on the couch reading. Looks like I'll be hosting this week instead. Cool

2cents

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:39 am
darchi in baltimore pushed the shabbos project off to one week later. I heard that the rav gave a speech shabbos morning saying that it is too much pressure after yamim tovim for the women, and that he didn't want to do it as a communal shul meal because he believes the point to be the beauty of a jewish family at its best. heard this second/third hand, but that's what I understood about his reasoning.

Abby2

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:12 pm
Just as an aside, not all South Africans are wealthy with live in help and waiters. Quite an inaccurate generalization.

This is a positive initiative. There is never going to be a week that suits everyone. It is a shame if you can't fully take part but relish in the holiness that will be created, not the negativity.

Many, many people are keeping shabbos for the first time, maybe focus on that rather then how we fit in.

liora25

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:53 pm
I agree with Abby2
I'm South African, and can say that is a huge generalization, yes we do have help, albeit not everyone has live in help, and waitresses etc, some people do, but hey, I'm sure the wealthy of the USA have the same advantage.
It is a lot of work, and it is bad timing for those of us who are frum and overloaded with Tom tov, as far as I understand the date was chosen with the the less frum community in mind as they may have momentum from the yomim noraim, so I guess we are taking a " bullet for the team" , just think of all the people that will be keeping shabbos this week, what an inspiration!

ruth

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:48 pm
daisy wrote:
I agree.

I was told that they wanted to do it before Shabbos came in too early on Friday. And the week of Lech-lecha is Halloween.

this is OP. Yes, this is what my rav told me last night, ie erev being "early". (non shomer shabbat people would find it especially chanllenging.) So why don't we do it Shvat?

but regarding Halloween, davka, it would be good to plan something then. That's why NCSY does a shabbaton for high schoolers, many of which are in public school and would be tempted to participate in the Halloween thing.

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:53 pm
Although I would love to invite guests, especially first time shabbat keepers, there is no way I can achieve that this week - I have been at work every day except for yomtov and shabbos for 3 weeks, including Sundays, have been up preparing meals till 2am, leaving for work at 6am, getting home an hour before shabbos etc, and this shabbos will be my first downtime since pre RH.

My inner introvert needs some quiet reading time, I am all out of conversation ;-)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:58 pm
2cents wrote:
darchi in baltimore pushed the shabbos project off to one week later. I heard that the rav gave a speech shabbos morning saying that it is too much pressure after yamim tovim for the women, and that he didn't want to do it as a communal shul meal because he believes the point to be the beauty of a jewish family at its best. heard this second/third hand, but that's what I understood about his reasoning.
Sounds about right (I missed the speech, but my husband was there)

remember the shabbos project is not only about inviting others -- if you're not up to that, at least try to do be more conscious for yourself; I highly doubt there is a single shabbos I was not oveir a melacha like gozeiz...

b from nj

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:45 pm
OP I agree with you & was thinking the same thing earlier.

I've decided that I am not up to hosting ppl for Friday night & sleeping over but we will join in my shul's lunch program (that we donated to) & we will take part in the various shabbos project activities (simplified minyan, lectures, shalosh seudos with inspiring speaker etc) that my shul will be hosting shabbos day. It should be exciting & inspiring especially now when I am feeling down about the Freundel scandal & other chillulei Hashem that I have read about recently on social media. I would've prefered more time to recuperate from Yom Yom b/f jumping into this but I guess "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em Smile.

newmommy:)

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:56 am
I completely agree with all the people talking about how it's such a big zechus etc. and that's why here (in yerushalayim) when people first started talking about it I was so excited! right away I told whoever needed to be told that I would love to host. but as everyone else said, right after and slew of 3 days of yomim tovim - it's a LOT.
I was scared to ask my husband if we could have guests this shabbos (we had so many over yom tov) haha!!
bottom line is I'm pushing through - with a reluctant ok from my husband - because I want to be part of something this special.
but sometimes I wonder where is my allegience supposedto lie?
maybe after a long intense yom tov season, and the day before the new learning zman begins, I should be giving my husband the relaxed shabbos tht would be helpful to him!ya know?

well, made the decision, so moving on:)
what's everyone making, those that are cooking?? always need good ideas!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics