Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Car Seat on Craigslist?

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:00 pm
I know buying used car seats is discouraged. I suppose that's why I'm questioning at all.

We don't have a car, but have overall found that it's much more convenient to have our own car seats. So I'm not looking for something that will be permanently installed. I have an almost 3.5 year old and an almost one year old. The baby is just about grown out of the bucket seat. I'd like to move her into the convertible car seat we already have (Cosco Secera). My son has just about grown out of that seat anyway, but it seems like he's a little too small for a plain booster (even the high backed ones). Therefore, I'd like to get him a five-point booster/convertible booster. I can't find one new for under $100, which just seems like a lot for product that we're only going to use occasionally. Please don't tell me that any price is worth my children's safety because that's not actually helpful. On Craigslist, I was able to find two for between $50-$60. They state that they have not been in accidents.

If Craigslist is not a good idea, any suggestions as to where I can find one cheaper? I looked at no better deal, but they didn't have anything.

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:35 pm
Thank you! That second link you posted is great.

flmommy

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:43 pm
It sounds like you already know Hat you shouldn't use a car seat that's been in an accident. If someone is stating that the car seat is accident free I would tend to believe them. If that's all you can afford go for it. If you can find a new one at a similar price I say go for the new one just to be sure. Kids do gross things in car seats so I prefer new anyways. Walmart has cheaper ones as well.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:47 pm
Definitely not Craigslist- you're buying a lifesaving device, not just baby gear, so you really need to be guaranteed that it will do its job.

Of the links posted, the maestro is the best option, while the others are generally not recommended. The chase is very short lived, the alpha omega is very bulky and absolutely unsafe when used as a booster, and the baby trend is difficult to install and many kids say it's uncomfortable.

If you want a seat that will last a long time, check out the harmony defender, only available at Walmart. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/H.....96374 The price fluctuates and is generally closer to $85-90.

Just FYI, kids under age five don't really have the bone structure to safely sit in a booster. It is unfortunately legal, but there is a high risk of the seat belt not holding the child in at that age. Also, in order for a booster to work safely, the child has to be mature enough to sit correctly and not lean over all the time or fiddle with the belts, etc. That usually isn't the case for kids under age 5 or so.

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:11 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Definitely not Craigslist- you're buying a lifesaving device, not just baby gear, so you really need to be guaranteed that it will do its job.

Of the links posted, the maestro is the best option, while the others are generally not recommended. The chase is very short lived, the alpha omega is very bulky and absolutely unsafe when used as a booster, and the baby trend is difficult to install and many kids say it's uncomfortable.

If you want a seat that will last a long time, check out the harmony defender, only available at Walmart. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/H.....96374 The price fluctuates and is generally closer to $85-90.

Just FYI, kids under age five don't really have the bone structure to safely sit in a booster. It is unfortunately legal, but there is a high risk of the seat belt not holding the child in at that age. Also, in order for a booster to work safely, the child has to be mature enough to sit correctly and not lean over all the time or fiddle with the belts, etc. That usually isn't the case for kids under age 5 or so.

What do you mean when you say the Chase is short lived? One of the reasons I'm looking at the harnessed "boosters" is because fact that younger children shouldn't be in the booster with just the seat belt. Last time we checked, but son was about 35lbs, so it's certainly time for an upgrade. I'd just like to minimize the number of things I need to buy, both from a financial perspective and a space perspective.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:46 pm
little_mage wrote:
What do you mean when you say the Chase is short lived? One of the reasons I'm looking at the harnessed "boosters" is because fact that younger children shouldn't be in the booster with just the seat belt. Last time we checked, but son was about 35lbs, so it's certainly time for an upgrade. I'd just like to minimize the number of things I need to buy, both from a financial perspective and a space perspective.

The chase doesn't have high harness slots. A seat is outgrown forward facing when the child's shoulders are above the top harness slot, even if the height and weight limits have not been reached. So you want a seat with higher harness slots so your child can use the harness for longer.

The chase is also rated as "not recommended" in booster mode by the iihs because it provides an unsafe fit when used as a booster (same as alpha omega).

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:49 pm
The longest lasting safe option is definitely the defender (there are other more expensive seats but you definitely don't need them unless he's extremely tall- is he?) It also has a 10 year expiration, which is the highest for seats in that price range, so it should last for a few kids if needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics