Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Does anyone have a child with "issues" that's above 18?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:41 pm
My son is 9 and I know a lot can change in 10 years but fear of the future is such a problem for me. My son has global developmental delays and learning disabilities. He's in a special school. He has an articulation delay and moves a bit off (not coordinated enough for certain things like sports, other than the most basic playing level). Socially he's awkward. He doesn't maintain any friendships. And he has a strong temper which flares up daily with his siblings and at me when I try to get him to cooperate, whether with eating or homework.

Life is hard with him; he has delays and struggles in every area. And so I fear for the future. Will he ever make it through his schooling? Will he ever have friendship, a relationship etc? Will he ever live independently?

I hope every year that he'll catch up, outgrow certain things but so far it all just keeps going. My husband won't discuss it with me. It paralyzes him...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:52 pm
Every child is different. My DD had some of the issues you mentioned and additional ones that you didn't list.

I also feared what her future would hold. My psychologist assured me that while her developmental curve was indeed delayed, she would eventually catch up and be a normal adult (what's normal is a different question).

She has just turned 18 and she has made great progress. I will not lie to you, we have had many difficulties in the last 10 years, but many issues have disappeared and many have lessened. She has matured greatly in the last year and I am much more optimistic about her future.

I think this forum is available for public viewing so I don't want to post here with my screen name but if you post in a forum that only members can see, you can post as amother if you like and I'll post with my screen name if you'd like to PM me.

And most important - your DS needs a lot of love and acceptance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)