Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Am I allowed to pray here

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:48 am
Where I am at university there is a muslim prayer room, and a general prayer room for all other religions. They have a range of religious prayer books on the shelf there including a siddur. Today I went in there to pray, however I noticed that there are xtian pictures on the walls including of you know who. I really felt able to pray at the time especially as I was just really upset, but I don’t know if it's right? It is a normal room, with armchairs and stuff, just with theae pictures. There is no other room to pray, so I don’t know what to do.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 11:21 am
Pretty sure you're not allowed to. Although halachically the muslim prayer room would actually be fine AFAIK. But why not just go in a quiet corner of the library or even out to a park or something? You don't need a specific room, as long as wherever you are isn't smelly or a bathroom or surrounded by trash you can really daven anywhere.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 11:27 am
The people who use the other prayer room would consider it an act of war if she prayed there. But I know you were just mentioning the halacha, not a recommended course of action.

Right, an empty conference room or unused office might be better. Maybe ask a receptionist you are friendly with where to find that. They know room usage.

freidasima

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 11:46 am
Right on. The Muslim prayer room is NOT a really great place to consider right now.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:00 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
The people who use the other prayer room would consider it an act of war if she prayed there. But I know you were just mentioning the halacha, not a recommended course of action.

Right, an empty conference room or unused office might be better. Maybe ask a receptionist you are friendly with where to find that. They know room usage.

it's just it's a bit weird if the receptionist asks me why I need a spare room and I say to pray, considering most people aren't religious at all

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:03 pm
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't actually recommending it, just stating what I know to be the halacha. Just don't pray in a place of (what may be) idol worship, is what I was saying.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:04 pm
When I was at university, I used to daven at the library. There was not specific room for this. Just find a quiet corner where people won't bother you when looking for books.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:26 pm
I attended a Jesuit U, & icons were rampant. I seem to recall asking a shayla as sometimes I needed to say a bracha (e.g. Asher Yatzar). I seem to recall I was told to turn my back on the item. But I can't say for sure, it was over 20 years ago. So I would say AYLOR!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics