Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Resources for hearing impaired baby

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:34 pm
I'm looking for resources for information and help with a hearing impaired infant. I need info like how to work with the baby (stimulation, etc) and chizzuk! all help is appreciated.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:45 pm
Are you in the US? Is he getting EI services? The therapists should be giving you good resources. If you have not done so already, get that EI ball rolling!

21young

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:51 pm
First of all, hugs! I know it's overwhelming but you'll get through this difficult time and raise a beautiful, perfect child who you will iy"h see much nachas from.
Where do you live? You need an excellent ENT, Audiologist, and speech therapists. You should definitely get the EI ball rolling. My child is hearing impaired and I'd love to help you. Feel free to PM me.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:21 pm
OP. we just got the first results from the failed test. we've been to the ent, and we are waiting for fluid in the ears to clear up before repeating the test. as I understand it, the official diagnosis is after the second test.

at what point does EI start? my baby is very young.

@21young: thank you. I'm not up to pm'ing you yet, but I definitely want to...can I hold on to the offer till I'm a bit less emotionally overwhelmed and scared? Confused will pm you then...tnanks for the chizzuk. I reread your post several times...

Pooh

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:10 am
I have also been there and you are welcome to pm me as well. My dd is now almost 4 and although my journey was not an easy one to get her to hear she now does and is doing so well bh. If you are in NY strivright is the place to contact. You will find in them a lot of people who will care and support you and your child like you wouldn't imagine!

It's very overwhelming in the beginning but hang in there you'll see that ur child will do great bh!

Haazinu also can provide resources, google them.

Any other qs don't hesitate to keep asking

Ashrei

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:20 am
In ny, StrivRight as above poster mentioned: 718-531-1800

bnm

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:42 am
Ashrei wrote:
In ny, StrivRight as above poster mentioned: 718-531-1800

Call Striverite if your in NY/NJ or even elsewhere, I'm sure they can refer you. You need a good audiologist, speech and language therapists who have experience with hearing impaired children.
What type of hearing loss is it? is a Cochlear Implant an option?

21young

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
OP. we just got the first results from the failed test. we've been to the ent, and we are waiting for fluid in the ears to clear up before repeating the test. as I understand it, the official diagnosis is after the second test.

at what point does EI start? my baby is very young.

@21young: thank you. I'm not up to pm'ing you yet, but I definitely want to...can I hold on to the offer till I'm a bit less emotionally overwhelmed and scared? Confused will pm you then...tnanks for the chizzuk. I reread your post several times...

With pleasure, you can contact me whenever you want to, even just for a listening ear.
I hope you get definitive results right away, but we didn't get it for months because my child had chronic fluid and ear infections, so beware. It's vital that you're using the right ENT and Audiologist. I'm not sure where you're located, but here's what I know:
For NJ: ENT - Dr. Kazahaya at CHOP; Audiologist - Dr. Sara Kader at JFK Hospital
For NY: ENT - Dr. Rickert at NYU, and if implants are a consideration, Dr. Thomas Roland at NYU; Audiologist - Tziona Bin-Nun

EI can start immediately, even for a young baby. In NY, call StrivRite. The principal is Penina Braverman and she is incredibly helpful. In NJ call SCHI. They are the only agency with therapists who are trained for the hearing impaired.

I hope this is helpful, I only know NY and NJ. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics