Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name for Tzivia?
Previous  1  2

spring13

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:46 pm
Sylvia and Cecilia are actually coming back in as names for babies these days, if you're worried that they sound old-fashioned. Sophia is a good choice also. Any of those will come across as both contemporary and classic these days.

How about Olivia? Tabitha? Tia? Vivian?

penguin

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:10 pm
How about Ayala? I am not sure if ayal=tzvi, but pretty close.

Hinda or Hindy as that, I believe, is Yiddish for doe, a deer, a female deer.

Doe... Zoe?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:25 pm
Hi my name is tzivia and I don't have an English name I just tell ppl my name and however they pronounce it I leave it. most ppl call me Sylvia when they hear my name

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 5:32 pm
Tzviya, pronounced TsVEE-yah, means doe, a deer, a female deer, as well as a beautiful or charming young woman as in tzviyat chen, just as the masculine Tzvi means both a male deer and beauty as in "ateret tzvi" which means not "a deer's crown" but "a crown of beauty".
Tzivia, pronounced TZIViah, means, according to Aish.com, "Assemblies of G-d". Not much you can do with that as far as English equivalents.
The spelling is the same for both.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:24 pm
What about spelling it Zivia in English?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:54 pm
I knew someone zeeva. I feel like it was short for zehava but I really am Not sure and it can work for u.

Kfar

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 5:07 am
sister-in-law is tzivia -- sorry no english suggestions -- that's what we call her (like my dd suri!)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 5:25 am
amother wrote:
I knew someone zeeva. I feel like it was short for zehava but I really am Not sure and it can work for u.

It's a name in it's own right, and I do think it's lovely- but PLEASE don't name your daughter that if there's the slightest chance you'd make aliyah while she's still in grade school. (Put the accent on the wrong syllable and it's the name of a venereal disease.)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:02 am
Ziva is Ziva
Zahava izs Zahava

Zoe is "life". Btw Romaniotes associate it with Chaya. Like some may do Vita Chaya, or Chaya Lifsha.

sahmof5

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:19 am
Tibby is cute

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:40 am
Taylor is adorable! Or just pick any name you like. If I have another son, I plan on naming him Tzvi in Hebrew and Tyler in English. Same idea here. Tzivia=Taylor. Vivian is cute too! With my oldest son, we just picked a name out of a hat because I hated the biblical version of his name. My husband's english name is random too.

deena19k

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
It's a name in it's own right, and I do think it's lovely- but PLEASE don't name your daughter that if there's the slightest chance you'd make aliyah while she's still in grade school. (Put the accent on the wrong syllable and it's the name of a venereal disease.)

I actually know a few israeli girls with the name zeeva.

What disease? I feel stupid.

WaterWoman

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:30 pm
Hi! I'm a Tzivia and I don't have an English name Very Happy

It can get annoying sometimes, but I've gotten very used to spelling my name, explaining the meaning, etc. The tip my father came up with when I was little to help people-which I still use-is "It rhymes with trivia."

I also use Sylvia when I'm in Starbucks because it's just easier. If you feel really strongly about giving your daughter an English name, I used to know another Tzivia whose English name was Stephanie...I always liked that. If not, then your daughter will probably get used to handling her name in the world eventually.

Whichever way you go, good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names