Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Did you Toivel the Plastic Bowl and lid, of your Bosch?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:59 pm
Or did you just Toivel the beaters and dough hooks because theyre metal?

m in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:10 pm
I have never heard of any opinion that says items made of plastic should be toiveled. We definitely don't. Generally we toivel metal and glass with a Bracha, and ceramic/china/Corelle type of things without a Bracha (or together with a metal or glass item and we make the Bracha on that item).

So for the Bosch I would toivel only the beaters. Similarly for my food processor I toiveled the metal blades but not the plastic bowl.

Liebs

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:12 pm
m in Israel wrote:
I have never heard of any opinion that says items made of plastic should be toiveled. We definitely don't. Generally we toivel metal and glass with a Bracha, and ceramic/china/Corelle type of things without a Bracha (or together with a metal or glass item and we make the Bracha on that item).

So for the Bosch I would toivel only the beaters. Similarly for my food processor I toiveled the metal blades but not the plastic bowl.

ditto.
ask rav if ur still unsure

myself

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:36 am
Some people toivel plastic. If that is your minhag then yes, you should toivel the bowl, if not, just toivel the beaters.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:53 am
myself wrote:
Some people toivel plastic. If that is your minhag then yes, you should toivel the bowl, if not, just toivel the beaters.

This is so interesting to me, as I never heard of that. Do you know which communities do this?

A quick google search shows that both the OU

http://www.kashrut.com/article.....ilim/

and the Star K

http://www.star-k.org/cons-app.....m.htm

say definitively that plastic does not need tevilah. But as myself is familiar with a minhag to do so, OP you should probably ask your LOR.

BTW, What do you do with other plastic utensils? Why is it only your Bosch that is a question? Do you toivel plastic measuring cups/spoons or mixing bowls or Tupperward type of containers, etc.? Presumably whatever you do with that you would do about the plastic bowl and lid on your Bosch.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:32 am
I know Lubavitchers who toivel plastic without a bracha.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:19 am
I was also told that plastic does not need to be toiveled.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:47 am
The reason I asked is that I thought I remembered that the plastic Bosch bowl has some metal on it. Am I wrong?

myself

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:58 am
I'm not sure where it comes from but AFAIK those who toivel plastic do so without a bracha or when toiveling other glass or metal items. It does not seem to be OP's minhag so I can't see any reason for her to do so.

ETA: OP, regarding your question if the Bosch has any metal, there is some metal under the bowl but since it does not come into contact with food it presumably does not need to be toiveled.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:09 am
I believe Lubavitchers toivel plastic, I am unsure of other chassidim, but it's not done in the regular Ashkenazi world. The Bosch lid that came with mine is completely plastic. It was not toiveled. The only thing we toiveled is the shaft, the beaters, the hook, and then the metal bowl and hook when I got that.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:30 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I believe Lubavitchers toivel plastic, I am unsure of other chassidim, but it's not done in the regular Ashkenazi world. The Bosch lid that came with mine is completely plastic. It was not toiveled. The only thing we toiveled is the shaft, the beaters, the hook, and then the metal bowl and hook when I got that.

1- Whats the "shaft"?

2- Doesnt this piece of metal come in contact with food sometimes?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:34 am
That's what I meant by shaft. I don't know the official term, but that is what I am referring to -- the middle piece that connects to the attachments.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:37 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That's what I meant by shaft. I don't know the official term, but that is what I am referring to -- the middle piece that connects to the attachments.
That piece can be separated from the bowl????? If not, dont you have to toivel the WHOLE bowl?

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 7:20 am
that piece gets covered by the attachments. I don't think anything gets under the attachment to touch that metal piece.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 7:22 am
lkwdlady wrote:
that piece gets covered by the attachments. I don't think anything gets under the attachment to touch that metal piece.
In my old Bosch, batter and dough was constantly getting stuck there and falling down to the rest of the batter/dough. I cant imagine it was only happening to me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:28 am
Yes, the metal piece detaches -- there is a lock on the bottom of the bowl for it. Turn that to the left, and line up the metal part so that the parts that just out slide through the grooves on the top, and simply slide it out.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:59 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yes, the metal piece detaches -- there is a lock on the bottom of the bowl for it. Turn that to the left, and line up the metal part so that the parts that just out slide through the grooves on the top, and simply slide it out.
Is that what others do, rather than Toivel the whole bowl? Is it easy to put it back, locked in the place its supposed to be?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:15 am
Yes -- there are arrows on the bottom of the bowl showing how to take it out (unscrew doesn't mean with a screwdriver, just a twist of your hands)...it's meant to be taken out to make it easier to wash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen