Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent without tomatoes (ketchup)

mirimiri

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 4:16 am
Hi my husband recently found out that he's allergic to tomatoes and we both love Chulent but I don't have any tried and true no tomato cholent recipe. Do you have any to offer?? I don't mind parve recipes too.
Anyone ever taste the Chulent from the place next to mir yeshiva in israel? That would be my dream to figure out how to make mmmmmmm
Thanks y'all!

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 6:19 am
I love the recipe from Spice and Spirit, and use a modified version of it all the time. It calls for onion, potato, beans, barley (I add sweet potato), cover with water, then fresh garlic, honey, salt, pepper, bay leaf, then meat (for a vegetarian alternative, try a packaged meat substitute, or just omit) and kishke (you can buy or make pareve). (I often add fresh halved mushrooms on top).

tigerwife

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:07 am
Here's my tomato-free recipe:
Sauté an onion and a bit of sliced garlic until nice and browned. Add your cholent meat and sear on all sides. To the pot add a little bit of beans, a lot of barley, one or two diced potatoes, then season.
I add a lot of salt, paprika, steak seasoning, a bit of black pepper and a spoonful of honey.
Also, I put up my cholent Thursday night and keep it on 'low' the entire time.
I'm not into cholent myself but they say its pretty good Smile.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:12 am
Really? I don't have one single recipe with tomato! lol

Can you read French? if yes I can send you

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:19 am
I never put ketchup (or anything tomato based in). I follow a recipe given to me by a caterer who made great cholent. Her advice was -- keep it basic and simple. Only onions and garlic (real), good meat, potatoes, beans, barley, salt & pepper plus a small chunk of kishka crumbled in. Everyone loves it.

Teacher_EW

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:42 am
My chulent doesn't have any tomatoes. I put in onions, beans, barley, meat, and red potatoes (they are so much softer than regular potatoes). Then I spice with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. EASY PEASY!

mommy1108

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 11:25 am
Mine is similar to the previous poster.

I once had the most amazing cholent and it fit my no sugar no flour diet (which means so sauces-ketchup, mustard, BBQ, etc)

Makes you feel like it's a real recipe if you're not dumping sauce in it. This would be the recipe for a 4 qt crockpot:

4 medium Yukon gold potatoes
1 medium-large onion
3 rows of flanken (1.5 lbs)- or short ribs or any other really good fatty meat-the key is the FAT!!! -For flavor obviously
1 cup brown rice
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Water to cover plus about an inch or two

We leave it on low from the start. It really comes out incredible because you taste the meat! Sometimes ill stick a potato kugel or kishke in it too

mirimiri

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 6:52 pm
thanks everyone! I never knew it was "normal" to do without tomato based ingredients!! I will deff try your ways out this week Smile

acccdac

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 9:13 pm
Here's another:

meat (flanken) at the bottom
1/3 cup chulent bean mix
1/3 cup barley
2 garlic cubes
salt (probably 1 tsp)
Squeeze honey across in zig-zag. (I'm assuming its 1/8-1/4 cup)
shake paprika, as much as you want, the more the better, 1/8-1/4 cup

Add water to cover

naomi6

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 9:22 pm
The one with brown rice is that in addition to the beans or alone

hinenimuchan

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:57 am
acccdac wrote:
Here's another:

meat (flanken) at the bottom
1/3 cup chulent bean mix
1/3 cup barley
2 garlic cubes
salt (probably 1 tsp)
Squeeze honey across in zig-zag. (I'm assuming its 1/8-1/4 cup)
shake paprika, as much as you want, the more the better, 1/8-1/4 cup

Add water to cover

So you use like a whole small U.S.A. container of paprika?
If so, that explains why my own attempts at cholent with a teaspoon or two are just mediocre.

hinenimuchan

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:00 am
[quote="mommy1108"]Mine is similar to the previous poster.

I once had the most amazing cholent and it fit my no sugar no flour diet (which means so sauces-ketchup, mustard, BBQ, etc)

Makes you feel like it's a real recipe if you're not dumping sauce in it. This would be the recipe for a 4 qt crockpot:

4 medium Yukon gold potatoes
1 medium-large onion
3 rows of flanken (1.5 lbs)- or short ribs or any other really good fatty meat-the key is the FAT!!! -For flavor obviously
1 cup brown rice
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Water to cover plus about an inch or two

We leave it on low from the start. It really comes out incredible because you taste the meat! Sometimes ill stick a potato kugel or kishke in it too[/quote

Can you give approximate measurements for the spices, thanx.

newme

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:11 am
I don't use tomatoes in chulent - but for the deep brown flavor start off with at least two large onions - sauted till nicely caramelized then sear the meat (goulash or spare ribs) before adding water.
I add red skinned potatoes (peeled) - I like those best - and barley.
I then flavor it with:
Salt
Pepper
Sweet paprika - a lot (approx 1/3rd cup)
and a whole head of fresh garlic cloves (peeled)

Sometimes I may add two or three pitted dates (or prunes) for extra richness (and color) - it gives it a slightly tangy accent, but it's also sweeter, and I often prefer the unadorned flavor of straightforward beef.

fromnj

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:16 am
I don't use tomatoes either. Instead of water I use fruit juice (usually apple) and a can of beef broth. It gives the cholent a richer flavor.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:49 am
I don't use tomatoes in my chulent. I just saute the meat (I use either flanken or lamb ribs) in plenty of onions and crushed fresh garlic, with a little olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Place in crockpot with beans and barley which have been soaked overnight, and add as many potatoes as you will eat. Cover with water, and cook on high setting for about 2 hours, then low setting.

I sometimes put potato kugel or Kishka on top.

My sister puts hard boiled eggs in, but I don't as DH doesn't like it.

quinny

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:45 am
I never put in tomatoes or ketchup. A peice of meat, beans, barley, potatoes and spices I also add a bit onion soup mix.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus