Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
BDE baby killed in jerusalem terror attack
Previous  1  2  3  Next

momof2sofar

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 5:31 pm
Is there a word stronger than horrible? No words. Just too sad.

yogabird

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 5:37 pm
horrendous and heartrending.

agreer

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:19 pm
mommyla wrote:
OMG. Which Braun family is this???

From los Angeles ....hashem yiracheim

mommy9

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:58 pm
Barbara wrote:
My heart is breaking for that poor baby, for her poor parents.

Poor baby? The baby was killed al kiddush Hashem. Her neshama is in the highest place in Gan Eden.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:22 pm
Tragic.
Absolutely devastating.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:33 pm
mommy9 wrote:
Poor baby? The baby was killed al kiddush Hashem. Her neshama is in the highest place in Gan Eden.

Yes, the baby's neshama is in Gan Eden. Saying "poor baby" is an expression which is 100% appropriate under the circumstances. We say it because we feel for the baby who may have been in physical pain, who never got the chance to grow up and have her own children, who didn't even learn to talk yet, and didn't have a chance to do mitzvas. BH she is in Gan Eden. It is still a tragedy. May Hashem comfort the family and all of Klal Yisrael.

mommy9

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:40 pm
I'm not trying to minimize the tragedy. Sorry you took it that way.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:32 am
AP News/ Yahoo news headline:

"Israeli police shoot man in east Jerusalem"

After social media outcry, this was changed to:

"Car slams into east Jerusalem train station"

Finally, they settled on:

"Palestinian kills baby at Jerusalem station"

http://the-eyeontheworld.blogs......html

m in Israel

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:46 am
DrMom wrote:
AP News/ Yahoo news headline:

"Israeli police shoot man in east Jerusalem"

After social media outcry, this was changed to:

"Car slams into east Jerusalem train station"

Finally, they settled on:

"Palestinian kills baby at Jerusalem station"

http://the-eyeontheworld.blogs......html

And the "Palestinian kills baby at Jerusalem station" is not even high up on the Yahoo news home page (at least not on mine. . .and I usually get lots of Israel related stories towards the top when they can spin it the other way. . >)

But honestly, this doesn't surprise me anymore. . .

BDE -- my heart is breaking for this family.

marina

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:10 am
I don't think the AP headline reflects anything but the rush the headline guy is in. If you read the story, he basically took the first five words of the article and made a headline out of it. Sloppy, but not really bigoted.

Think about it- a tragedy with an infant is a way better headline for clickbaiting than a guy gets shot. So there's really no reason for them to logically choose the second over the first.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:49 am
marina wrote:
I don't think the AP headline reflects anything but the rush the headline guy is in. If you read the story, he basically took the first five words of the article and made a headline out of it. Sloppy, but not really bigoted.

Think about it- a tragedy with an infant is a way better headline for clickbaiting than a guy gets shot. So there's really no reason for them to logically choose the second over the first.

I don't know what article you read, but the first sentence of the article that originally had this headline was (you can click on the link in the article linked by Dr. Mom to view the whole Yahoo article):

Quote:
A Palestinian motorist with a history of anti-Israel violence slammed his car into a crowded train station in Jerusalem on Wednesday, killing a three-month-old baby girl and wounding eight people in what police called a terror attack.

So no, the headline does NOT take the first five words of the article, which would have been appropriate ("Palestinian motorist slammed his car into a crowded train station in Jerusalem").

And the fact that it is a worse headline from a clickbaiting perspective will just strengthen the case that it is bigotry that is behind it. IOW, if this headline was "better for business", you can argue that this was not motivated by anti-Israel bias but simply by a desire to get more eyeballs. But if the headline is not even better for them, why would they go out of their way to write it this way? (Personally, in today's world I am not sure that people care more about a dead Israeli kid than a shooting by Israeli policemen of a Palestinian man. The anti-Israel headline may actually BE a better bait, in which case maybe the writer was not biased but just tuned in to public opinion. . .I'm not sure which approach is more comforting to believe.)

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:02 am
So sad, I know the mother's family.

It's also sad how the story's details become so twisted when the story is a tragedy. The couple got married 2 years ago, the article makes it sound like they were waiting for many years (unless you count the years when they were single)... but it's so so sad.

Even though I don't know the mother well, I feel an extra pain at this story because this couple got married the same night as us and we have met on occasion, and she comes from the nicest family here. Always doing chessed and organizing things for the community.

We need Moshiach now.

Maya

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:09 am
mandr wrote:

It's also sad how the story's details become so twisted when the story is a tragedy. The couple got married 2 years ago, the article makes it sound like they were waiting for many years (unless you count the years when they were single)... but it's so so sad.

I saw one report that said they tried for 13 years.

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:18 am
m in Israel wrote:
So no, the headline does NOT take the first five words of the article, which would have been appropriate ("Palestinian motorist slammed his car into a crowded train station in Jerusalem").

And the fact that it is a worse headline from a clickbaiting perspective will just strengthen the case that it is bigotry that is behind it. IOW, if this headline was "better for business", you can argue that this was not motivated by anti-Israel bias but simply by a desire to get more eyeballs. But if the headline is not even better for them, why would they go out of their way to write it this way? (Personally, in today's world I am not sure that people care more about a dead Israeli kid than a shooting by Israeli policemen of a Palestinian man. The anti-Israel headline may actually BE a better bait, in which case maybe the writer was not biased but just tuned in to public opinion. . .I'm not sure which approach is more comforting to believe.)

While I disagree with Marina's conclusions, her facts are accurate. The original first line of the story was, "Israeli police say they have shot a man whose car slammed into a crowded train stop in east Jerusalem, in what they suspect was an intentional attack." See http://www.dailysabah.com/mide.....alem, a Turkish site which retained the original AP story.

However hasty the reporting, the headline and lede show what the AP felt was the most important point -- that a Palestinian was shot by police. It is only after that is reported that AP pointed out that a police spokesman "said" that 9 people were injured. The article then goes on to point out that there was no word on the condition of the "driver" (without referring to the condition of his victims) and that there has been unrest since a Palestinian teenager was immolated by "Jewish extremists" in July. (Note the use of the word "Jewish," not "Israeli.") The article does note that it was immediately assumed that this was a terror attack. Thus, with the knowledge that this "person" purposely drove his car into a crowd of people in order to injure and kill them, AP felt that the most important point to make was that the perpetrator was shot by Israeli police.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:20 am
mandr wrote:
So sad, I know the mother's family.

Even though I don't know the mother well, I feel an extra pain at this story because this couple got married the same night as us and we have met on occasion, and she comes from the nicest family here. Always doing chessed and organizing things for the community.

We need Moshiach now.

are you sure about this? the reason I ask is not to be nosy. I ask because it would give me some pathetic measure of peace to know that they had this baby after 2 years and not 13. I have not stopped thinking about this poor family who waited years to have a child.

Of course they are in tremendous pain but if it was only 2 years then at least they may have a big beautiful family in the future. if it was 13, then not as likely.

This poor poor family.

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:50 am
causemommysaid wrote:
are you sure about this? the reason I ask is not to be nosy. I ask because it would give me some pathetic measure of peace to know that they had this baby after 2 years and not 13. I have not stopped thinking about this poor family who waited years to have a child.

Of course they are in tremendous pain but if it was only 2 years then at least they may have a big beautiful family in the future. if it was 13, then not as likely.

This poor poor family.

Yes, the mother of the baby actually got married the same day as me and I know my anniversary Wink we were at the salon the same time, that's when I actually met her.

boysrus

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:16 am
mandr wrote:
Yes, the mother of the baby actually got married the same day as me and I know my anniversary Wink we were at the salon the same time, that's when I actually met her.

Thank you mandr, like the preevious poster said, it offers us some nechama and hope for future children for them. This is so tragic, I cant stop crying Crying

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:25 am
boysrus wrote:
Thank you mandr, like the preevious poster said, it offers us some nechama and hope for future children for them. This is so tragic, I cant stop crying Crying

Thanks, I thought I would get attacked for trying to downplay the tragedy or something.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:49 am
IYH this family will have many more healthy children.

wife2

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 2:40 pm
mandr wrote:

We need Moshiach now.

so why did the article make it seem like they were waiting so long? how did that get conveyed?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics