Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
URGENT!- looking for a book title in a big hurry, pls help!
Previous  1  2  3

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:43 am
boysrus wrote:
I love Biggles! But I have never seen it in the USA, I wonder if any of our American friends have ever read it.

I don't think Biggles is what the teacher is looking for. Smile Great books however.

boysrus

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:14 am
Raisin wrote:
I don't think Biggles is what the teacher is looking for. Smile Great books however.

raisin, I know you are European, but still wondering if the americans here have ever read or heard of biggles!

anon for this

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:19 am
boysrus wrote:
raisin, I know you are European, but still wondering if the americans here have ever read or heard of biggles!

I'm American and have heard of Biggles, but only because I saw a sketch spoofing it. But from what I understand, they seem to be adventure stories, not the sort of book that would be used in a high school literature class.

boysrus

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:21 am
anon for this wrote:
I'm American and have heard of Biggles, but only because I saw a sketch spoofing it. But from what I understand, they seem to be adventure stories, not the sort of book that would be used in a high school literature class.

you're right, definitely not high school literature!

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:30 am
DrMom wrote:
Not contemporary, but modern classics:

George Orwell's Animal Farm

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

If OP has a problem with inappropriate scenes no way will she be ok with Brave New World.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:04 am
theoneandonly wrote:
If OP has a problem with inappropriate scenes no way will she be ok with Brave New World.

Oh right -- I guess I forgot about the details.
In that case, I revise my former statement, as we were assigned this book in high school English class.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:11 am
anon for this wrote:

Essential to a proper appreciation of Monty Python, but I agree that Biggles is for an audience a bit younger than high school.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:18 am
DrMom wrote:
Oh right -- I guess I forgot about the details.
In that case, I revise my former statement, as we were assigned this book in high school English class.

A suggestion for a Jewish dystopia - Instead of training every boy to be the next gadol hador, we could produce just enough gedolim, enough full time kollelniks to keep the world going, a handful of askonim, and everyone else could be just smart enough to daven with kavanna but not so smart that their attention would wander (I've probably been offensive enough so I won't speculate about who will clean up). And everyone would have true Yiddishe simcha in those days.

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:20 am
DrMom wrote:
Granted it was a while ago, but I attended a public high school and don't recall ever being assigned a book with "graphic sx scenes."

What the heck did they assign him???

She said it was The Kite Runner. Which, FTR, does not have any graphic z3x scenes. Since I don't have a photographic memory, I'm reluing on the "steaminess rating" of the book. The only "z3x scene," quoted in whole, is "Later that night, the sun less than an hour from rising and the guests finally gone, Soraya and I lay together for the first time. All my life, I'd been around men. That night, I discovered the tenderness of a woman" (13.31).

There is an explicit description of a rape. Referring to that as a "z3x scene," however, is offensive.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:57 pm
Barbara wrote:
She said it was The Kite Runner. Which, FTR, does not have any graphic z3x scenes. Since I don't have a photographic memory, I'm reluing on the "steaminess rating" of the book. The only "z3x scene," quoted in whole, is "Later that night, the sun less than an hour from rising and the guests finally gone, Soraya and I lay together for the first time. All my life, I'd been around men. That night, I discovered the tenderness of a woman" (13.31).

There is an explicit description of a rape. Referring to that as a "z3x scene," however, is offensive.

Hi there Barbara, I am the OP. I take offence to your bolded comment. A s-x scene is in my opinion, any scene that involves s-xual relations. Yes, there is an explicit description of a rape (male rape). There is also a scene that completely turned my stomach describing a man's exploitation of an orphan, describing his grooming tactics, kissing his neck etc. Personally I am having trouble getting the imagery out of my mind, and I would hate for my innocent 14 yr old ds to read that. I cant understand why any parent would want their child reading that and honestly am very surprised that so few parents complained about the book. Apparently I was not the only parent to express discomfort with it.
Perhaps you could re-word your comment. btw, I am a long time poster here, and you and I have never before had disagreements.

Please dont call my description 'offensive', that is over the top.

and also btw, sometimes when one writes a post in a position of great stress or in a tremendous hurry, we dont always think of the most perfectly accurate expressions to describe what we wanted to say. For example as I was yesterday - over tired, nursing a newborn , about to run to a pediatrician appt and with a teacher awaiting my immediate response. In the same vein, I really try to tell myself that you did not really mean to use the term 'offensive' but you couldnt recall the term that you realy wanted to use at the time of writing. I really appreciated the help that I got, just please dont nit-pick over my expressions.

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
Hi there Barbara, I am the OP. I take offence to your bolded comment. A s-x scene is in my opinion, any scene that involves s-xual relations. Yes, there is an explicit description of a rape (male rape). There is also a scene that completely turned my stomach describing a man's exploitation of an orphan, describing his grooming tactics, kissing his neck etc. Personally I am having trouble getting the imagery out of my mind, and I would hate for my innocent 14 yr old ds to read that. I cant understand why any parent would want their child reading that and honestly am very surprised that so few parents complained about the book. Apparently I was not the only parent to express discomfort with it.
Perhaps you could re-word your comment. btw, I am a long time poster here, and you and I have never before had disagreements.

Please dont call my description 'offensive', that is over the top.

and also btw, sometimes when one writes a post in a position of great stress or in a tremendous hurry, we dont always think of the most perfectly accurate expressions to describe what we wanted to say. For example as I was yesterday - over tired, nursing a newborn , about to run to a pediatrician appt and with a teacher awaiting my immediate response. In the same vein, I really try to tell myself that you did not really mean to use the term 'offensive' but you couldnt recall the term that you realy wanted to use at the time of writing. I really appreciated the help that I got, just please dont nit-pick over my expressions.

I really meant the word "offensive."

A "z3x scene" is generally lascivious. It describes two (or more) persons engaging in z3xual activity. It titillates. But it describes things that are, at heart, beautiful.

The rape scene is ugly and violent. It is not consensual. Rather, it is brutal. It is the polar opposite of beautiful.

Conflating "rape" with a "z3x" is offensive.

If you found the rape scene too brutal, I can understand that. If you chose the wrong word, say so.

But your demand that I take back my words, that I agree with you that a scene of brutal rape is the same thing as a scene of two people making love, well, that's not going to happen.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:18 pm
For goodness' sake. The OP is not equating consensual s-x with rape, EXCEPT inasmuch as neither of them is appropriate according to her hashkafah for her teenage son to read. In the context of this particular discussion, that makes sense.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room