Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ideas for make a wish

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:28 pm
Bh my son is post treatment and is doing good. He is able to get something from make a wish. He would really like to go to eretz yisroel, but they can't grant that wish:)

So, He asked me if I can think of other things he can ask for.

He is 13 kah. Not looking for something superficial. It can be Something to buy (no computers or gaming systems) or somewhere to go (not looking to go to Hawaii or somewhere like that).

If you've had a child that had a wish granted, I'd love to hear what it was.

All ideas welcome.
Thanks

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:56 pm
A family member asked for some expensive item in a store she really liked and frequented. The item was paid for by Make a Wish, but she "returned" the item and got a credit (large amount) at that place (of course with stroreowner's agreement). That might be an option, if your son can't decide.
One family friend asked for a pool, which they got!
Music classes / instruments if he's into music.

kb

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:07 pm
It seems like cheating to return your wish, but I don't know the rules.

There was an article I read about a boy who wished to write a sefer torah. I don't know if they'd agree to do that again, but it's a nice idea!

naomi2

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:10 pm
maybe they can pay for part of a ticket to israel, since that's what he really wants?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:19 pm
My son, age 11 during illness and treatment, really wanted a puppy. Unfortunately for him, his parents did not want a puppy. He considered taking a trip to see his grandparents and friends, who live in the US. In the end he decided to ask for a keyboard, which was something we could not afford and which he felt that he'd enjoy for years to come. So happy to hear that your son is well, Baruch Hashem! May Hashem continue to give him health and you strength, ad me'ah v'esrim.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:24 pm
I believe that you can ask what the monetary value of the gift is, especially if what he really wants is to visit Israel. You can explain it to them. Also check with Chai Lifeline, as they sometimes have trips to Israel for kids who have been through such an illness.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:59 pm
Op here.
Thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming. I will show him all of them.

When he was first referred to make a wish, his nurse said "be greedy, like if there'sa famous actor you want to see, ask to see him while he's filming in Hawaii...) so thinking over the top is what I'm having trouble with:)
Maybe a kosher cruise? Is that Good for kids? I'm a scared of the water though. ..

Re: trip to israel. They can't send to any place that's on the state department list of no fly. Unfortunately Israel is in.
Money is not the issue with make a wish:)
They'll send the whole family to Fiji if that's where he wanted to go;)
Chai lifeline does have a trip for teens post treatment, but makea wish would send the whole family together. I know he will iyh go to israel one day so I'm not so upset about that.

Re: seems like cheating them if you return. It's really not. They give up to a certain amount if you want to buy something. If you can't make up your mind, but you know what store you want it at, that's a great solution.

yaeli83

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:10 pm
Would he like to go away for pesach? Maybe to one of those resorts where his favorite band might be playing? He could meet them or something?

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:21 pm
Driving in a race car or in a really cool expensive car? Trying to think what 13 year olds boys would be into. There's always Disneyland. Good Luck and hope you find the perfect thing for him. Tongue Out

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 5:15 am
There's lots of places to go if they won't take you to Israel! Some examples (obviously there are more places to visit than these and there are more things to do in each place than what I'm writing, this is just to give you some ideas...)

go to South Africa and go on a safari
go to Alaska and see aurora borealis
go to Thailand and see the ethnic markets
go to Venice and ride a gondola
go to Rome and see the Colloseum
go to Western US and see the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, the giant Redwoods
go to NYC and see statue of liberty, twin towers memorial, Ellis Island
go to San Fransisco and visit Alcatraz
go to Switzerland and go skiing
go to London and see Buckingham Palace
go to Paris and see the Eiffel Tower
go to India and see the Taj Mahal
go to Nepal and see Mount Everest
go on a cruise (they have kosher ones)
go to Eastern Europe and visit kvarim
if there's anything your son is specifically interested in, eg if your son really loves aquariums, Google where the top-rated aquarium in the world is and ask to go there
Please don't just go to Disneyland, that's such a waste of a free trip...

stuff to get (I wonder what the price limit is? Tongue Out )
tefilin, shas, any rare/hard to find sefarim
limited editions of all his favorite books signed by the authors
fully stocked game room w/o any computer games eg foosball table, air hockey table, tons of board games, anything else a 13 year old boy might like to play with
top of the line bike
car for when he gets a license
apartment/house for when he moves out/gets married
pilot lessons and a private jet
(ok those last few are really over the top but that's what you asked for...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics