Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ebola in NYC
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:36 pm
pause wrote:
That is not the point.

The point is that when you are exposing yourself to foreign diseases in order to assist in healthcare of people "there", it is basic normalcy, mentchlichkeit, common sense, etc. to take basic precautions for the sake of the healthcare of people "here"

I did say he shouldn't have gone out, right? can you scroll up and see that? the only thing spreading about ebola in our first world country is a viral case of madness.

supty

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:37 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
and the moment I see this I cannot take a word you say seriously.

So don't. I'm just fed up at this point. Between this, the situation in Israel over the summer, Isis, and everything else going on in the world, and obamas (non)reaction to it all- well, I'm losing faith. No offense to you, but if you think he's doing a great job despite all this, then I can't take anything you say seriously either. But whatever, each to his own. I'm not trying to turn this thread into a political war.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:31 pm
supty wrote:
So don't. I'm just fed up at this point. Between this, the situation in Israel over the summer, Isis, and everything else going on in the world, and obamas (non)reaction to it all- well, I'm losing faith. No offense to you, but if you think he's doing a great job despite all this, then I can't take anything you say seriously either. But whatever, each to his own. I'm not trying to turn this thread into a political war.

It's called apathy. Obama has a bad case of it.

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:39 pm
Great...

http://m.cnsnews.com/news/arti.....rosol

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:47 pm
sneakermom wrote:
It's called apathy. Obama has a bad case of it.
I hear he personally had the vials of Ebola brought into this country to infect the population. It’s going to be transmitted through the internet. Quick, sign off Imamother, turn off your computer and don’t open it again for a while.

G-d be with you.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:48 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I hear he personally had the vials of Ebola brought into this country to infect the population. It’s going to be transmitted through the internet. Quick, sign off Imamother, turn off your computer and don’t open it again for a while.

G-d be with you.

cause he is muslim right? Very Happy

ima_dina084

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:51 pm
sequoia wrote:
Great...

http://m.cnsnews.com/news/arti.....rosol

Now I'm truly terrified, Hashem help us all. Pale Pale Pale Pale Pale

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:58 pm
Clarissa wrote:

G-d be with you.

on a more serious note- why isn't the CDC and the White House working with customs to restrict incoming travelers from West Africa?

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 1:11 am
causemommysaid wrote:
on a more serious note- why isn't the CDC and the White House working with customs to restrict incoming travelers from West Africa?

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the State Dept doesn't act to stem the flow of travelers from these places. Seems like the simplest, most basic line of defense.

Perhaps instead of banning flights to Israel when there was a war they could ban flights from W Africa when there's a deadly, highly contagious epidemic? It seems like they acted rather quickly on the former, which was totally unnecessary, and are dragging their feet on the latter.

ora_43

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 3:02 am
Clarissa wrote:
Forgetting blaming Obama for a second. Why on earth did a DOCTOR come back from there and feel lousy, running a fever for days before doing to the hospital? A doctor! I don’t get it.

The article I read said he was taking his temperature twice a day, and went to the hospital the first time he found he had a fever.

chickpea_salad

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 3:47 am
DrMom wrote:
I cannot for the life of me figure out why the State Dept doesn't act to stem the flow of travelers from these places. Seems like the simplest, most basic line of defense.

Perhaps instead of banning flights to Israel when there was a war they could ban flights from W Africa when there's a deadly, highly contagious epidemic? It seems like they acted rather quickly on the former, which was totally unnecessary, and are dragging their feet on the latter.

^ This. The borders of Liberia are already shut. The only way to get in or out is by boat or by plane. If we are flying the military in, why do we need to rely on commercial airplanes to get aid workers in or out? How many other countries have had commercial air flight banned in the past?

I am not freaking out about myself, or anyone in NYC, except for the healthcare workers who will be treating this doctor, and the healthcare workers who will be treating any subsequent Ebola patients.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10.....owns/

^ Watch the 'Nurse blasts hospital's ebola response' clip. I really really feel for her. She didn't sign up for this. Neither did the two people who contracted the disease from Mr. Duncan. Nurses have some of the lowest H&S protocols of any skilled job in the west.

And yes, Scrabble 123 is right, flu season is coming, and you are probably 2000000% more likely to get the flu than ebola and the flu kills people every year. You are not, at the current time, at any risk of catching Ebola, even if you rode the train right next to Dr. Craig Spencer...People flew in a plane right next to Mr. Duncan for hours and they did not contract Ebola.

But two people DID contract Ebola from Mr. Duncan. I am frustrated that this does not seem important given that the WHO still considers Ebola infections to be out of control.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:29 am
I hope his fiancee doesn't get sick. Hopefully he wasn't stupid enough to sleep with her.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:32 am
ora_43 wrote:
The article I read said he was taking his temperature twice a day, and went to the hospital the first time he found he had a fever.
Thanks. Didn’t know that.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:36 am
It gets better. 2 potential cases are reported in Seattle now. Both people are just taking their temperatures twice a day, with NO quarantine restrictions.

DD has been learning current events in school, and now she's afraid to leave home because she heard that we had two cases of Ebola running around town. Sad

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:41 am
I know everyone says flu is more dangerous and kills more people, and it is, but I'm pretty sure it is only the elderly (and certain other susceptible groups) who are at risk from flu. (the 1918 epidemic was unique in that young people died from it) If I was elderly I would make sure to get a flu shot and stay away from sick people. At my age I am not worried about dying from flu. But young, healthy people die from Ebola. It scares me that healthcare workers who were supposedly taking every precaution still caught it.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:51 am
Raisin wrote:
I know everyone says flu is more dangerous and kills more people, and it is, but I'm pretty sure it is only the elderly (and certain other susceptible groups) who are at risk from flu. (the 1918 epidemic was unique in that young people died from it) If I was elderly I would make sure to get a flu shot and stay away from sick people. At my age I am not worried about dying from flu. But young, healthy people die from Ebola. It scares me that healthcare workers who were supposedly taking every precaution still caught it.

Depends which strain. Some of the recent epidemic flus (not endemic, which is what the winter flu is) were more severe in younger people, in particular pregnant women. Why this is is not understood.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:53 am
Raisin wrote:

THIS. The only way to maybe be safe around Ebola, is a Level 4 Hazmat suit, and a buddy to help you get in and out of it. Oh, and a decontaminating chemical shower before you get out of the suit.

The two Dallas nurses that got infected were wearing Level 3 gear, for all the good it did them.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:59 am
Frumdoc wrote:
Depends which strain. Some of the recent epidemic flus (not endemic, which is what the winter flu is) were more severe in younger people, in particular pregnant women. Why this is is not understood.

Did they die? I got flu twice (or three times...) in my last pregnancy. It was not fun and I don't remember ever being that sick before but bh I recovered.

Obviously new strains of flu can appear which are more dangerous like in 1918. Hopefully not.

How does one tell the difference between endemic and epidemic?

To be honest I don't know I even had the flu all those times, it may have been a bad cold.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:12 am
Raisin wrote:
Did they die? I got flu twice (or three times...) in my last pregnancy. It was not fun and I don't remember ever being that sick before but bh I recovered.

Obviously new strains of flu can appear which are more dangerous like in 1918. Hopefully not.

How does one tell the difference between endemic and epidemic?

To be honest I don't know I even had the flu all those times, it may have been a bad cold.

Yes, higher rates of ITU admissions and death in pregnancy with swine flu. Unless you have a proven influenza positive titre (usually a nasal aspirate test), you probably didn't have genuine influenza. Lots of people call a bad cold or virus, "flu", when it isn't. Proper flu will usually put even a healthy person in bed for a good week or so, with persistent high fevers, malaise, sweats, gi symptoms, cough,and feeling like they have been run over by a truck.

Endemic flu is the seasonal flu, that occurs every year, some years worse than others, and is made up of different strains of common flu viruses.

Epidemic, or pandemic flu, is the country wide or worldwide outbreak of a single, usually new, strain of flu, that people are usually not vaccinated against and have no or few antibodies for. The recent ones were avian flu and swine flu. For unknown reasons, swine flu appeared to be more severe in young fit people, especially pregnant women, rather than the usual pattern of knocking off the elderly and sick. Lots of research....

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 9:15 am
Frumdoc wrote:

frumdoc, can you insert some facts here re: ebola transmission, infection, contagion, and quarantine? as I wrote earlier, to sneers from the angry masses, the "viral" fear spreading about the ebola virus is pandemic. caution encouraged, but fear-mongering misplaced.

I understand an abundance of caution, I understand anger toward the CDC (on many levels). but the facts are not being heard or believed. I already posted a link about contagion, which has info from WHO.

please, all of you, take a minute to read how this virus is spread and learn how safe you truly are. don't get into a panic, don't spread panic. it's far more contagious than anything else.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics