Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
FUR SKIRT OUTFITS WITH FUR BOW NECKLACE
Previous  1  2

wfm

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:04 am
It is faux fur. 100% polyester. Looks adorable on!!
Why can't we just live and let live? Confused

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:07 am
Not my taste.

Just add bunny ears and you've got a Purim costume.

zohar

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:27 am
Don't like the skirt and collar, but I love the dress. It looks much better in real life. I love the simple a-line style. Very girly. I saw it at Junees but can't afford/don't want to spend that kind of money. But I'm totally fine with those that do. I just wish there were cheaper options for those of us who love to dress our children classy and cute. In the end, I found some dresses from gap on a great sale and accessorized with bows that I purchased for less than 2 dollars. But I still love that dress.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:44 am
Really, you can wear a fake-fur skirt? That sounds warm. Would one look nice on a woman, slight A-line, black or grey? Band at the bottom.

As for running up a little A-line dress for a child, my friend can do that at home. Not saying I can.

She bought a sewing machine, practiced on scraps, and took a class. She saves a lot of money on girl's clothes.

ima_dina084

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 2:29 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
jealous? really? I'm not amother, ergo not a "coward", and I'm disgusted. not so much by the cost, but by the vile nature of little girls in fur. more than the unpleasantries of the outfit is the downright bragging about how great you are. being holier than thou about a fur cape doesn't make me want to puke, it just makes me lose respect for anyone who gloats about it under "amother."

(additionally, I question the halacha about buying fur from animals killed in a non-kosher way. chinchillas, et alia, are raised on factory farms and it's unlikely they're slaughtered in compliance with our laws. if there was a huge question of whether the meat from the tortured animals in the kosher slaughterhouse was actually kosher, I wonder how this could be any different.)

Same issue with leather. And then you could say you don't wear leather ( not even shoes). Then there will be furniture ect to consider as well. I've thought about this also but haven't asked. Would be interested to know.

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 2:53 am
MamaBear wrote:
Fur is the new pleather? $100....sigh and ick

http://www.sparklesandsuspende.....ee105

I thought it was going to be a bashing thread.

Alas!...

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:40 am
the description sounds odd and over the top but I actually have some fake fur sleeveless jackets for my daughters and they are lovely. I would never wear real fur or buy it for my kids but I have no issues with fake fur. Its quite obviously fake and looks nice for a winter shabbos outfit.

zohar

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:06 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Really, you can wear a fake-fur skirt? That sounds warm. Would one look nice on a woman, slight A-line, black or grey? Band at the bottom.

As for running up a little A-line dress for a child, my friend can do that at home. Not saying I can.

She bought a sewing machine, practiced on scraps, and took a class. She saves a lot of money on girl's clothes.

Exactly my thoughts when I saw this dress. It doesn't look to hard to sew. However, my sewing skills are nil. I can't even make a straight hem! I thought about getting lessons, but I am notorious for my unfinished projects and I know that even if I learn how to sew, I will probably just waste money and end up with a bunch of unfinished dresses.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 2:10 pm
This cannot be done alone except by very exceptional, clever people. Normal people need a buddy.

If you want, you take a course, then you get a buddy relationship going with your sewing teacher. She helps you over the bumps to get to the end. You call her My Finisher. Perhaps you pay her. After a year of this, you won't need her as often, and you will be saving gobs of money.

It should not be the end of the world to make an A line skirt for yourself or an A line frock for a little girl. It takes practice, some tools, and wanting to. But the money will be saved, in time.

If there is a woman who already routinely and calmly sews garments at home, let her make a Teaching Gemach, or even give paid lessons, so that her wells can go everywhere. Do not keep this knowledge to yourself.

It's a craft. Nobody is a genius in a minute. In time, you get there, but it takes patience.

I think the money saved after the first year of getting good at it would motivate anybody who had more time than money. However, if you have more money than time, fine, spend the money.

Cheap stuff, certainly, you buy, you don't make. Depending on what, it might not be worth it to make something yourself, if it is available cheaply. You have to evaluate each situation on its own merits.

https://www.google.com/#q=sewing+patterns

A family with a whole lot of girls might benefit from this knowledge.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 2:34 pm
I don't know if a wrap skirt is modest, but here is one. I would leave off the pocket.

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern.....t/900

This is described as "novice" level:

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern.....12733

This is A line:

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern.....69208

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:10 pm
I don't think that sewing is really a moneysaver. It has other uses, like the ability to custom make something that wouldn't otherwise be available/ to copy high end designs/ for hard to fit figures etc. But if you're using quality fabrics then you probably won't be saving money in general.

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:20 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I don't think that sewing is really a moneysaver. It has other uses, like the ability to custom make something that wouldn't otherwise be available/ to copy high end designs/ for hard to fit figures etc. But if you're using quality fabrics then you probably won't be saving money in general.

That's and easy cheap skirt to sew.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's and easy cheap skirt to sew.

I was not referring to this particular skirt.

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:49 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I was not referring to this particular skirt.

My confusion I thought this thread wad about that skirt.

Anyway if you are used to higher end clothes or home linens, you can save quite a bit.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:53 pm
Squishy wrote:
My confusion I thought this thread wad about that skirt.

Anyway if you are used to higher end clothes or home linens, you can save quite a bit.

The last two posts before mine were about sewing in general.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:17 pm
Ma Belle Vie is right, but each garment will be costed out on its own terms. Sometimes it pays and sometimes it doesn't. It depends, it depends, on the situation.

And yes, you get control. You get control of skirt length.

Perhaps you save money in girl's things, where there isn't much fabric needed, because the kid is small.

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:29 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
The last two posts before mine were about sewing in general.

And Dolly was responding to Zohar's post that this skirt doesn't seem too hard to sew.

In answer to your post, I have found that sewing saves money on higher end items themselves besides the obvious money savings on alterations. The greater the quality of your garments or home goods, the more you save.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:02 pm
Squishy wrote:
And Dolly was responding to Zohar's post that this skirt doesn't seem too hard to sew.

In answer to your post, I have found that sewing saves money on higher end items themselves besides the obvious money savings on alterations. The greater the quality of your garments or home goods, the more you save.

Scratching Head she was talking about all kinds of sewing. And I specifically mentioned copying high end products as a good use of sewing.

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:34 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Scratching Head she was talking about all kinds of sewing. And I specifically mentioned copying high end products as a good use of sewing.

You said that sewing isn't a money saver. I say it is. We both agree that you can save money with on the higher end. I suppose the question would be how much of your family's wardrobe and household goods is on the higher end as to whether or not sewing is a money saver.

Let's take a random item: the skirt and necklace that this thread is about. That skirt and necklace can be reproduced for about half the cost. Sewing this item is a money saver.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:49 am
Wow. If I brought that outfit home, DD would lock herself in the bedroom and never speak to me again! shock
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics