Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Too tight

musicmom

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:41 pm
Hi Ladies! Sorry to be redundant but I have never solved my sheitel issues. Every one I ever tried on, including all the extra larges are too tight. I had one a couple years ago custom made, and people tell me it fits well but it is also feeling too tight, but better than all the others. It also tends to ride back on my hairline throughout the day, with the wig grip. I found the clips to be insanely hurtful! Funnily, I have never had a sensitive head for barrettes or other hairdos or hats.

SOOO.... Has anyone else had these experiences? I have a ton of hair, it is not long but wide, as in super curly and A LOT of it. It doesn't look like a lot, but it is. After my son's upshern, his yarmulke was too big. He didn't even have a ton of hair!

I am wondering if I should cut or shave my hair really short? Would the sheitel's fit me completely differently?

Is there any sheitelmacher inparticular who specializes in working with people traumatized to ever wear a sheitel? Who would be willing to work with me slowly or let me wear them first?

Thanks for all input and advice!

PS. The only thing that has sofar worked for me is tichels, which look great with a lot of hair underneath. I am nervous if I cut my hair off and sheitels still hurt, I won't be able to wear tichels then either! IDK...

penguin

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:45 pm
I suffered for years til I got a sheitel custom made for me. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that there is such a thing as a stretchy cap. The one that was made for me fit but it felt like wearing one of those rubber bathing caps!

Then I found a used sheitel with a stretch cap and had the net altered to fit me better. Now I have one that isn't terrible - sometimes, I even come into the house and do one or two things before I take off my sheitel!

I don't know where you are located, but most people who work with cap repairs can modify the sheitel you have by adding a piece of net, whether in back or at the sides, and putting new hair on the new piece.

But, I gotta tell you, some of us will never love a sheitel like we love our tichels! That's just the way Hashem made us!

fromnj

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 7:52 pm
I recently got my hair straightened with keratin because it was too big and thick under my sheitel. You might want to try that.

papermageling

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:22 am
If you do decide to cut off your hair (which might make sheitels fit, and would probably make them look better), you can alway look into a tichel volumizer for when you want to look as if you have a tichel full of hair. Wrapunzel sells them, as do many other places. I stick with tichels myself, partly because of my enormous head. Wrapunzel also sells an XL velvet headband that can be used for tichels or sheitels, which is also helpful if you have a large head.

musicmom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:22 am
Thanks, everyone! I will definitely look into more stretchy sheitels. Do most of you cut off your hair under your sheitel or leave it normal length?

Dev80

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:59 am
With curly hair I would assume it's not the length as much as the width (b/c a short afro will give you its own set of probkems Smile) so maybe a good thinning haircut would help. I do find that my hair being thicker gives me more discomfort.

rise above

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:35 pm
Why not get a hair relaxing or thinning treatment before taking the drastic step of shaving it off?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels