Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ebola in NYC
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:12 am
Frumdoc wrote:
Yes, higher rates of ITU admissions and death in pregnancy with swine flu. Unless you have a proven influenza positive titre (usually a nasal aspirate test), you probably didn't have genuine influenza. Lots of people call a bad cold or virus, "flu", when it isn't. Proper flu will usually put even a healthy person in bed for a good week or so, with persistent high fevers, malaise, sweats, gi symptoms, cough,and feeling like they have been run over by a truck.

I definitely had that at least one time. I couldn't get out of bed for a good week, and I wasn't hungry which is extremely unusual for me. I'm still baffled why my dr (whom I saw throughout my pregnancy) didn't offer me a flu shot.

Re ebola - all the people suddenly worried now, if they would have spent a bit of time and money helping Africans a year ago we wouldn't be here now.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:30 am
Raisin: The fact is that the flu kills more American's per year than Ebola.

Pandemic flu is frightening. As I explain on another thread, imagine that a bird flu mixes with a human flu within a human cell, allowing itself to replicating and spread in humans. Human beings have no immunity to a bird flu. Think about the Spanish Flu: scientists believe that this was an Avian flu, and over a span of 2 years it killed between 50 and 100 million people. The stronger the immune system, the more likely one was to die, meaning that young adults were most at risk. Children and the elderly, whose immune systems were weaker fared better. That is because the flu kills through a cytokine storm which is basically an overreaction of the immune system.

Today we do have better health care than in the early 1900s, but it does not mean that such a flu would not impact society.

People, Ebola is not airborne! If it would be airborne do you know how many people we'd see infected? Even in Dallas alone, Duncan's entire family would have been infected. It's miraculous that they are not, but it could be that they were very careful once he became infected because they had they suspicions.

Yes, health care workers were infected. Do you realize that these health care workers were dealing with things like respirators and dialysis? That has a much greater risk of exposure than say coughing the first day someone has fever. Stop your worries over something that is not likely to cause to threat outside of West Africa and focus on things that actually impact Americans (And other Westernized Countries): Flu, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer, Depression. May Hashem keep us all healthy!

Yes, it is sad that because this is a tropical disease with no money to be made that positive potential treatments and vaccines were not tested and produced. It's sad that it had to take thousands of African deaths for us to start producing these products, but BH we are doing that now. Let's just hope that moving forward we learn from our mistakes and that the public doesn't panic!

Twinster

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:34 am
Scrabble123 wrote:

That's because we haven't had Ebola here yet... You can't compare one to the other.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:37 am
Twinster wrote:
That's because we haven't had Ebola here yet... You can't compare one to the other.
The flu will kill more people this winter than Ebola will. Do you realize that most Ebola outbreaks were successfully contained even in Africa since it was discovered? We have been able to get Ebola, Marburgs, and other diseases under control with contact tracing. That is the way to control the outbreak, and it will work now too. Ebola does not pose a threat to Americans in America. Anyone who thinks it does is ignorant. It is also not a man made virus. Still, the only way to be safe from this virus is to stop the outbreak in Africa.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

princessleah

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:39 am
Scrabble123 wrote:

Pandemic flu is frightening. As I explain on another thread, imagine that a bird flu mixes with a human flu within a human cell, allowing itself to replicating and spread in humans. Human beings have no immunity to a bird flu. Think about the Spanish Flu: scientists believe that this was an Avian flu, and over a span of 2 years it killed between 50 and 100 million people. The stronger the immune system, the more likely one was to die, meaning that young adults were most at risk. Children and the elderly, whose immune systems were weaker fared better. That is because the flu kills through a cytokine storm which is basically an overreaction of the immune system.

Today we do have better health care than in the early 1900s, but it does not mean that such a flu would not impact society.

People, Ebola is not airborne! If it would be airborne do you know how many people we'd see infected? Even in Dallas alone, Duncan's entire family would have been infected. It's miraculous that they are not, but it could be that they were very careful once he became infected because they had they suspicions.

Yes, health care workers were infected. Do you realize that these health care workers were dealing with things like respirators and dialysis? That has a much greater risk of exposure than say coughing the first day someone has fever. Stop your worries over something that is not likely to cause to threat outside of West Africa and focus on things that actually impact Americans (And other Westernized Countries): Flu, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer, Depression. May Hashem keep us all healthy!

Yes, it is sad that because this is a tropical disease with no money to be made that positive potential treatments and vaccines were not tested and produced. It's sad that it had to take thousands of African deaths for us to start producing these products, but BH we are doing that now. Let's just hope that moving forward we learn from our mistakes and that the public doesn't panic!

Dallas was a major screw-up. The CDC didn't go out there at once to show them the proper protocols. The medical staff the first time the pt. went to the ER heard he had been in Liberia and sent him home with antibiotics! I heard also that they are suspicious that the nurses caught the virus not through the protective gear, but while removing it. Now the CDC is supposedly going to rush out the minute they hear of a case.

Also re: precautions, the doctor in NY followed the protocol he was supposed to: he was taking his temperature twice per day, while he was asymptomatic he was out and about, and the minute he found he had a fever he went straight to the hospital. There are now strict screening procedures in place for travelers flying to the US from Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:41 am
princessleah wrote:
Dallas was a major screw-up. The CDC didn't go out there at once to show them the proper protocols. The medical staff the first time the pt. went to the ER heard he had been in Liberia and sent him home with antibiotics! I heard also that they are suspicious that the nurses caught the virus not through the protective gear, but while removing it. Now the CDC is supposedly going to rush out the minute they hear of a case.

Also re: precautions, the doctor in NY followed the protocol he was supposed to: he was taking his temperature twice per day, while he was asymptomatic he was out and about, and the minute he found he had a fever he went straight to the hospital. There are now strict screening procedures in place for travelers flying to the US from Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.

I'm sorry, but where are you disagreeing with me? I'm stating that even with Dallas's major screw up Duncan's contacts are healthy. That is because EBOLA is NOT easy to contract. Yes, nurses who are not wearing protective gear and are working with dialysis are at MUCH MUCH GREATER RISK than someone who was sitting next to Duncan in the ER one his first visit. I believe that the screening procedures are important, and I trust them. You can read my other posts on the matter in the thread entitled EBOLA. I believe that closing a border would not only be a bad idea but dangerous and impossible to contain.

Twinster

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:43 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Ebola does not pose a threat to Americans in America. Anyone who thinks it does is ignorant.

Imo, anyone who thinks it doesn't pose a threat, is ignorant. The ones telling us that there's no threat of it getting widespread are the same ones who told us just a few weeks ago that there's no threat of it coming to America...

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:47 am
Twinster wrote:
who told us just a few weeks ago that there's no threat of it coming to America...

I'm just wondering where you got this misinformation from? We have known about the possibility of any virus coming to America because of air travel as well as because of bioterrorism. That's actually why we had therapies (medication) and vaccines being researched in labs. I agree that we should have been testing them already and did not because of the financials involved (or rather missing) in tropical diseases though. Hospitals have been preparing for Months for an Ebola patient.

princessleah

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:56 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I'm sorry, but where are you disagreeing with me? I'm stating that even with Dallas's major screw up Duncan's contacts are healthy. That is because EBOLA is NOT easy to contract. Yes, nurses who are not wearing protective gear and are working with dialysis are at MUCH MUCH GREATER RISK than someone who was sitting next to Duncan in the ER one his first visit. I believe that the screening procedures are important, and I trust them. You can read my other posts on the matter in the thread entitled EBOLA. I believe that closing a border would not only be a bad idea but dangerous and impossible to contain.

I wasn't disagreeing with you! I was agreeing with you and adding more information for the naysayers.

Very Happy

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 11:20 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
frumdoc, can you insert some facts here re: ebola transmission, infection, contagion, and quarantine? as I wrote earlier, to sneers from the angry masses, the "viral" fear spreading about the ebola virus is pandemic. caution encouraged, but fear-mongering misplaced.

I understand an abundance of caution, I understand anger toward the CDC (on many levels). but the facts are not being heard or believed. I already posted a link about contagion, which has info from WHO.

please, all of you, take a minute to read how this virus is spread and learn how safe you truly are. don't get into a panic, don't spread panic. it's far more contagious than anything else.

I don't know any more than what is on the CDC and WHO website, other than how to manage a suspected case according to our hospital protocol, which is not very interesting.

But please, take the time to read the relevant public health websites for your country and then, to be honest, just get on with your lives. There is nothing any of us can do, unless you're volunteering to go work in the local heath clinics in the affected areas.

It seems that transmission is very unlikely unless you are living in the same household or in close contact with the bodily fluids of an affected person with symptoms, and as the people who have been affected in the West have isolated themselves as soon as they developed a fever (which is the very first symptom, so at the earliest stage of infectivity) there is little/ no risk to those in casual contact such as being on a train, walking in the same street or shops etc. As soon as you are in close contact with a highly symptomatic person, it seems that it is highly infectious, and those most at risk are health care workers and hospital staff, cleaners, porters etc.

If it got to the stage where many people were infected and were walking around or using public transport, the risk may be higher, so if there was a serious outbreak infecting hundreds of people in the city, there would be a risk from using public transport. But one or two asymptomatic people monitoring their temperature at home while carrying out their normal activities is a negligible risk to the population, or so it seems according to the data from MSF, WHO etc.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 11:27 am
Another interesting point is that so far, no one who has severe enough organ failure to need ventilation or dialysis due to ebola has survived, and given the significant risk of transmission of the virus through these high risk treatments, there is an argument going on about whether a patient with Ebola should be offered these treatments or not, given the likelihood of other people becoming infected from giving what is basically a pointless and futile therapy.

Now that is a good ethical debate: do we give someone a treatment which will almost certainly not prolong their lives and carries a major risk of infecting and/or killing others in the process, or do we stop and say "That's all we can do".

Do you jump in the river to try to save someone even though you can't swim, and both die in the process, or do you save youself.

chickpea_salad

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 4:08 pm
Frumdoc wrote:

Do you jump in the river to try to save someone even though you can't swim, and both die in the process, or do you save youself.

If you can't swim you definitely don't jump in the river. You throw, reach, wade, row, swim, tow, carry.

supty

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:30 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/health/.....ines/

Finally!

sequoia

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:55 am
One of the nurses has been discharged from the hospital.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014.....;_r=0

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:18 am
This skit pretty well sums it up:

ora_43

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:43 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
That is because EBOLA is NOT easy to contract.

If a person is actively sick with Ebola (fever, etc), then it is insanely easy to contract. The viral load in their bodily fluids will be very high, and the virus can survive on surfaces for a long time.

I'm all for people not panicking needlessly, but I think it's also important not to go in the other direction and treat this like something that could never pose a threat. It won't pose a threat if the health authorities act wisely. If they screw up, OTOH, it could.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:39 am
ora_43 wrote:
If a person is actively sick with Ebola (fever, etc), then it is insanely easy to contract. The viral load in their bodily fluids will be very high, and the virus can survive on surfaces for a long time.

I'm all for people not panicking needlessly, but I think it's also important not to go in the other direction and treat this like something that could never pose a threat. It won't pose a threat if the health authorities act wisely. If they screw up, OTOH, it could.

I'm just wondering what you would then call a virus such as measles which can be contracted simply by inhaling the same air as an infected individual? Actually, you can be on the other side of a room after an infected individual walked out and still contact measles if you were never vaccinated and/or never had the disease. That would be considered insanely easy to catch. Once air droplets are out of the picture, even if the viral load in bodily fluids can survive on surfaces for a long time the word insane must be out of the picture. I guess you mean if you happen to indeed come into contact with their bodily fluids. We know of many more viruses which are much more contagious.

November

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:00 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This skit pretty well sums it up:

Thank you so much! I had been wanting to see this.

Miri1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:28 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I'm just wondering what you would then call a virus such as measles which can be contracted simply by inhaling the same air as an infected individual? Actually, you can be on the other side of a room after an infected individual walked out and still contact measles if you were never vaccinated and/or never had the disease. That would be considered insanely easy to catch. Once air droplets are out of the picture, even if the viral load in bodily fluids can survive on surfaces for a long time the word insane must be out of the picture. I guess you mean if you happen to indeed come into contact with their bodily fluids. We know of many more viruses which are much more contagious.

More contagious, but less deadly. Measles also doesn't require a precious bed in a bio-containment unit of a designated hospital in order to to be treated. Once those four beds in Belleview fill up ch"v... then what?

Relying on people to figure out the exact moment of onset of symptoms, and act responsibly... we're setting ourselves up for mistakes and missteps.
I'm not sure I understand why the inconvenience to one person being quarantined for 3 weeks in the comfort of their own home is too much, when the inconvenience, manpower, distress, and margin of error is so much greater when authorities must scramble to discover, and monitor countless contacts (as with the cases of Nurse Vinson and Dr. Spencer). B"H so far none of Nurse Vinson's contacts have displayed symptoms, but can you imagine for example, the negative effects on the bridal store she spent a few hours at? Why should that have happened in the first place?

Besides, CDC has said that there is no contagion until onset of symptoms (including fever of 100.4). However both of the above mentioned cases reported sick when their fevers were lower than 100.4. Both had fatigue the day before. Does contagion really only begin at exactly the moment the fever hits 100.4?

I'm not panicking, but I think it's inefficient not to quarantine, or at least limit public transport and interaction for people who have knowingly been in contact with ebola patients.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:56 am
Miri1 wrote:
More contagious, but less deadly. Measles also doesn't require a precious bed in a bio-containment unit of a designated hospital in order to to be treated. Once those four beds in Belleview fill up ch"v... then what?

Relying on people to figure out the exact moment of onset of symptoms, and act responsibly... we're setting ourselves up for mistakes and missteps.
I'm not sure I understand why the inconvenience to one person being quarantined for 3 weeks in the comfort of their own home is too much, when the inconvenience, manpower, distress, and margin of error is so much greater when authorities must scramble to discover, and monitor countless contacts (as with the cases of Nurse Vinson and Dr. Spencer). B"H so far none of Nurse Vinson's contacts have displayed symptoms, but can you imagine for example, the negative effects on the bridal store she spent a few hours at? Why should that have happened in the first place?

Besides, CDC has said that there is no contagion until onset of symptoms (including fever of 100.4). However both of the above mentioned cases reported sick when their fevers were lower than 100.4. Both had fatigue the day before. Does contagion really only begin at exactly the moment the fever hits 100.4?

I'm not panicking, but I think it's inefficient not to quarantine, or at least limit public transport and interaction for people who have knowingly been in contact with ebola patients.

I understand what you're saying, but through imposing a mandatory quarantine for people with no symptoms, you're just setting yourself up for more problems. People will lie about where they have been and where will that get us? With people who won't even go to the doctor or call the CDC at the first onset of symptoms and we'll be in even bigger trouble. It doesn't have to just be comfortable for the public, but for everyone. I agree that if I had been in West Africa I would be ok with a mandatory 21 day quarantine upon my return, but many people would not be. You see that from the nurse who went ahead and hired a civil rights attorney. You do realize that it's unconstitutional, right? The demands must match the actual risk. It's frustrating because we hear stories about people going on planes after having called the CDC with fever, but don't get lost in those mistakes. They are working on them and handling it as best as they can without creating mass panic.

We even conducted tests on pets rather than first killing them because we want people to be assured that their pets (which are more than just pets to them) will be safe if they come forward with Ebola. You realize that there are some people who would delay treatment because they wouldn't want their animals killed.

Sometimes people see the leaves, but not the trees or the trees and not the leaves. It is really best for people who have been to West Africa to be honest about, monitor themselves, and not forced into situations that would encourage them to lie.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics