Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Religious Jewish Housekeeper - What do you think?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 7:38 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
You call it a job posting so people are reading it as such.

I called it job description and requirements.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 7:48 pm

Is that $50 cash?

I am paid by check. I bill on the first of each month. I also present receipts for reimbursement. Labor for my hours at, say, the Market and receipts for the items I bought there are separate.

I am sole proprietor. I report my earnings and pay taxes. I am insured. Housekeeping is a business.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
I called it job description and requirements.

And you later compared it to other professional job postings. Whatever...

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 7:57 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
And you later compared it to other professional job postings. Whatever...

Whatever is well said. My intent was taken out of context. But I learned what I wanted out of this. Thanks to all who participated.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 7:57 pm
I think you should just hire a really good cleaning lady and then do a bit of organizing yourself.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:

Is that $50 cash?

I am paid by check. I bill on the first of each month. I also present receipts for reimbursement. Labor for my hours at, say, the Market and receipts for the items I bought there are separate.

I am sole proprietor. I report my earnings and pay taxes. I am insured. Housekeeping is a business.

OT but u sound really cool:)
how'd u get started in this kind of thing?
and what does a housekeeper do if not major cleaning, laundry, cooking or kids at home?

just curious

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:

Is that $50 cash?

Do you think that you may be misleading a lot of people here? A lot of people with degrees do not earn close to that. I know that this arrangement exists. And I know that there are people whose job is to walk the dogs of rich celebrities. Just because you were lucky to find a job like this, (which I doubt is true) that is not reason enough to mislead women into thinking that all other lower paying jobs are not acceptable given your comparison.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
Again, this is not intended as a ad. It is intended as research.

Call it whatever you like. You now know that you need to modify your tone, cut the excess verbiage, state salary range, and quit talking down to the job candidates.

I wish you luck in your search, and I truly, truly, truly, for the sake of anyone you hire, hope you're a more pleasant employer than your "research" makes you seem.

sequoia

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
Just because you were lucky to find a job like this, (which I doubt is true)

What reason have you to accuse this poster of lying? How rude.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:34 pm
sequoia wrote:

Do you have an agenda? A point to prove?

This is why.

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q.....;tm=1

mommyla

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have an agenda? A point to prove?

This is why.

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q.....;tm=1

You do realize that most of these salaries are for hotel housekeepers or similar jobs, right? Like nursing home and hospital housekeepers? Only a few are residential housekeepers, and include "maid" as part of the job description.

I agree with other posters, I'd take a job like this (it sounds like what I do at home, except I don't get paid for it!) if I needed the work, but your wording needs a total overhaul. If you'd like any help you can PM me and I can fix up the writing, that's part of my own job description.

nylon

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:46 pm
It costs me $75 for a house cleaning. A regular one, nothing amazing. Less than 3 hours. and I live out of town. I am always shocked when brooklynites post that they are paying $10/hr. No one here would accept that.

So if someone tells me they get $50 (and they are paying tax on that--remember that a lot of people can't afford to be caught paying under the table) I can believe it.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:01 pm
"It's is on you"

What kind of professional add is this?

centurion

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:20 pm
The laundry list in the original post made me think of this:

no comment on the ensuing discussion.

SplitPea

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:23 pm
I guess the main thing that would keep me from wanting to work for you at this point is stating specifically that you don't want to be friends with the person.

You honestly don't sound like such a nice person just in saying that

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:36 pm
Who knew Leona Helmsley was on imamother?

Last edited by DrMom on Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

proudmother1

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:37 pm
sequoia wrote:

This is her OP. Do you think that these two statements contradict?

It sounds as if you want a wife. I am a professional housekeeper & I earn $50/hr. My employers have a chef to fix their meals. They have two nannies to care for the children. I occasionally make soup or other food when I have time. Food preparation takes a long time. Ask a professional chef. I occasionally sit with the kids, drive them places & pick them up. My employer knows not to expect ironed laundry or clean counter tops if I'm with the kids. As for Pesach cleaning . . . hire a maid.

Ashrei

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:37 pm
(only read the first page or posts, but...)
I guess I'm the only one that likes the ad. I think your expectations are very clear and I appreciate that your standards seem high. I feel like it would help and employee take pride in her work and understand boundaries. I appreciate that kind of professional relationship. I do think the tone does imply higher pay than a normal housekeeper though, because it sounds a little 'elite' imo. Anyway, too bad I'm not the housekeeper type and have no time to take on a job!

It's the kind of ad I'd write, but I've learned that the majority imamother's opinion is indeed the norm. I've learned to make ads like this simple (as in previous examples), and then explain the detalis explicitly upon meeting them, but in a friendly way, with occasional reminders. Not everyone is tough like OP and I. Wink

Fave

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:38 pm
DrMom wrote:
Who knew Leona Helmsley was om imother?
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:39 pm
proudmother1 wrote:
This is her OP. Do you think that these two statements contradict?

It sounds as if you want a wife. I am a professional housekeeper & I earn $50/hr. My employers have a chef to fix their meals. They have two nannies to care for the children. I occasionally make soup or other food when I have time. Food preparation takes a long time. Ask a professional chef. I occasionally sit with the kids, drive them places & pick them up. My employer knows not to expect ironed laundry or clean counter tops if I'm with the kids. As for Pesach cleaning . . . hire a maid.

No. She also wrote that she occasionally engages in childcare despite two nannies. So apparently this is the arrangement for whatever reason.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics