Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
7 mitzvos bnei noach

yo'ma

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 7:35 pm
How are the non-jews supposed to know about the laws? Are/were the jews supposed to spread it around? If so, how? If so, before christianity how was it spread? From what I've been learning/listening to, it's because of the jews, judiasm the world is the way it is today, belief in one g-d, etc.. I know that Christianity and Islam both came from Judiasm, but aren't they the ones who spread it around? Of course not in a civilized manner, but that's how it was, wasn't it? I know what I wrote is confusing, but my real question is if we're supposed to teach the 7 mitzvos of bnei noach, how are we supposed to do it today and how did they do it during the time of the bais hamikdash? Also as a side question, the other question I asked about how the belief in one g-d was spread.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:04 am
Anyone know?

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:43 am
The only b'nai noach mitzva that unknown is "Don't eat the limb off a living animal" but these days with refrigeration as well as animal rights, there isn't much of that going on. IOW, most upright and ethical non-jews already keep the 7 mitzvos.

You're wondering who gets the credit for spreading the concept of monotheism? For spreading it, you are correct. Christians are still out there working hard in undeveloped countries trying to 'spread the word'.

EsaEinai

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:56 am
Just a cute story...

My husband has a workmate who is a Christian phillipino. She often sees my husband giving $$ to different jewish charities, etc. the other day she approached my husband saying she is starting a new Christian organization to raise $$ to travel to underprivileged neighborhoods in the phillipines, to distribute food and clothing and teach about Christianity. My husband donated and told me he is helping her spread the 7 Mitzvos bnei Noach by enabling her to teach about monotheism.

Whose job is it to teach the nations of the world about these Mitzvos? I'm not sure, but through our interactions with people around us, we can help spread the word.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 3:07 am
The Noahide laws are (not in any particular order):
1. No murder
2. No blasphemy
3. No idolatry
4. No adultery or incest
5. No theft
6. No eating the limb of a live animal
7. Set up courts of law

Aside from #s 2 and 3, which deal with man's relationship to his Creator, these are the most basic laws without which society descends into barbarism and anarchy. Note that there is no commandment to worship G-d, just commandments not to diss Him by worshiping idols or blaspheming. A person could in theory ignore, disbelieve, or be skeptical about the existence of G-d and still observe the laws because he believes they make for a civilized society.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics