Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The Klinghoffer opera is not about Klinghoffer
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 6:46 am

Clarissa

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 6:49 am
I’ve stayed quiet, calm and respectful. Yo’ma, the cartoon right there, posted of course by an amother, pretty much tells you why I hesitate to say what my husband thinks. He doesn’t deserve this.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 6:54 am
Hey, amother with the dumb cartoon, you do realize that you attacking anonymously does nothing for your cause, right? Just makes you seem ugly, angry and ashamed.

marina

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:53 am
I don't understand that cartoon. Maybe amother means it to show that the people protesting are the ones yelling and being rude?

Clarissa

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 3:35 pm
Hey, Marina is right. It might be about the very loud protesters complaining about being squelched. Makes sense, given that they’ve been more vocal than anybody involved in the actual production. Sorry if I got it wrong.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:58 pm
I can't imagine being comfortable watching such an opera.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 6:28 pm
Raisin wrote:
I wouldn’t have been comfortable sitting through the evening the way I’ve heard it described by people who either didn’t see it or did see it but went in with an agenda. Luckily that wasn’t the case. But the good news is that nobody is being forced to see it that doesn’t want to, so you’re in the clear.

little_mage

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 7:21 pm
Raisin wrote:

Rasin, I had a cousin on facebook ask if he should go, knowing that he was probably going to disagree/be somewhat uncomfy. The general consensus seemed to be that it still probably wouldn't have hurt to go. There are times when all you want is the artistic equivalent of comfort food, but that doesn't mean that's what you want all the time. Sometimes, I think it's important to engage with things that make you uncomfortable, because that's what makes you grow.

Full disclaimer, I have not seen the opera, nor, at this stage in my life (and not being in NY) am I likely to, at least this time around. My comments above are intended as a more general statement about art/media, since I can't really comment on this specific opera.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics