Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Tomato recipes

sped

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:21 am
I have a whole lot of tomatoes to use up, but only some are eating-raw quality. Any suggestions for a way to cook them that my family will eat? I prefer recipes that don't need expensive ingredients with it.
Thanks so much!

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:39 am
I would make matbucha - saute hot green pepper pieces and tons and tons of garlic. Add chopped tomatoes, oil, and salt and let it simmer for about 3 hours.

What I also do that is very good is saute onions and garlic - like 2 big onions and 2-3 heads of garlic, minced - and then add about 10-15 chopped tomatoes and let it cook for a while - 1-2 hours. Then I add uncooked rice, some water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of oil. I simmer it until the rice is cooked. Keep an eye on it - you may have to add a bit of water. I mix in cooked brown lentils when it's done.

sooooo good!

sped

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:22 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I would make matbucha - saute hot green pepper pieces and tons and tons of garlic. Add chopped tomatoes, oil, and salt and let it simmer for about 3 hours.

What I also do that is very good is saute onions and garlic - like 2 big onions and 2-3 heads of garlic, minced - and then add about 10-15 chopped tomatoes and let it cook for a while - 1-2 hours. Then I add uncooked rice, some water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of oil. I simmer it until the rice is cooked. Keep an eye on it - you may have to add a bit of water. I mix in cooked brown lentils when it's done.

sooooo good!

Sounds really nice! I will bez"H try it.

ms5771

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:32 pm
I recently started making a really delicious tomato dip that my husband loves.

I also make a hot dog-tomato-pepper-garlic-onion-beans from a can-dish (with added tomato sauce and spices) over rice or spaghetti (YUM!). Any kind of stir-fry dish could use up those tomatoes. Also, I once made a potato and tomato baked dish with potatoes on the bottom and cut up tomatoes on the top.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics