Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Esrog Jam

Tiale

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 9:35 am
Any good recipes for esrog jelly/jam/preserves?

Tiale

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 8:00 pm
Anyone?

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 8:42 pm
I believe there was one in Haaretz online October 2009. Go to www.haaretz.com and search "agog for etrog".

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 9:06 pm
I wouldnt eat it, its full of really bad chemicals

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 9:58 pm
dh made it once, but it's almost all sugar. he used a 5 lb bag for a reallyh small amount of jam.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:06 pm
I'll try to find the one posted in Ami.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:19 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
dh made it once, but it's almost all sugar. he used a 5 lb bag for a reallyh small amount of jam.

What do you call a really small volume of jam? Standard fruit jam calls for equal parts cooked fruit and sugar, so 5 lbs. sugar would net you around 10 lbs. of jam, or 5 family-size jars. For really tart fruit you'd use somewhat more sugar, but not a whole lot more. How many esrogim went into the 5 lbs. of sugar?

little_mage

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:41 pm
If you have the cookbook Aromas of Aleppo there is a recipe in there. I meant to try it last year, but never quite made it, so I can't tell you how it comes out. If I get my act together to do it this year, I'll let you know.

Jewish Mother2

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 2:18 am
If you do an internet search for "etrog jam" there are several hits but this one is close to how I would make any citrus marmalade - http://www.amideastfeast.com/r.....-jam/

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 7:40 am
zaq wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

What do you call a really small volume of jam? Standard fruit jam calls for equal parts cooked fruit and sugar, so 5 lbs. sugar would net you around 10 lbs. of jam, or 5 family-size jars. For really tart fruit you'd use somewhat more sugar, but not a whole lot more. How many esrogim went into the 5 lbs. of sugar?

3-5 but they weren't big ones. and no, we didn't get that much jam. he only did it that once.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 2:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
zaq wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

3-5 but they weren't big ones. and no, we didn't get that much jam. he only did it that once.

well, no wonder! That wasn't esrog jam, it was esrog-flavored sugar! I use about 7 or 8 lbs. of sugar with 20+ not-colossal esrogim and fill about 5 24-ounce jars.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 3:07 pm
Here's the one from Ami (just got the Sukkos issue today)!

Esrog Jelly

4 plump yellow esrogim
1 heaping cup sugar
1 tablespoon orange jam

Soak esrog in water for a week, changing water daily.

Chop esrog into thin slices and discard peels and seeds. Grind in food processor. Simmer the pulp in a pot of water for about 30 minutes and then strain.

Put the fruit back into the pot and turn flame to high. Stir in sugar and jam a bit at a time, mixing thoroughly. Keep stirring until the mixture boils and thickens.

Place jam in a clean jar and let sit in a cool, dark place until it sets.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 4:30 pm
The Community magazine (Sephardic) has a recipe:
http://communitym.org/communitym/2011-10/
page 52 or search for "Etrog Jam".

Now that someone mentioned the pesticides,I don't know if it's something I want to try, but I wonder if all that soaking reduces the pesticides.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 5:35 pm
Simple1 wrote:

Now that someone mentioned the pesticides,I don't know if it's something I want to try, but I wonder if all that soaking reduces the pesticides.
The above recipe from Ami that OOTBubby posted only uses the pulp; the peels and seeds are discarded.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Oct 12 2020, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 5:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:

And the above recipe only uses the pulp, the peels and seeds are discarded.
l

The one I posted from Ami also only uses the pulp and discards the peel and seeds.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 5:53 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:

And the above recipe only uses the pulp, the peels and seeds are discarded.
l

The one I posted from Ami also only uses the pulp and discards the peel and seeds.
Yours is the one I meant Smile
I should have removed the other link when I quoted Simple1's post about pesticides

wren

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 2:43 pm
Jewish Mother2 wrote:
If you do an internet search for "etrog jam" there are several hits but this one is close to how I would make any citrus marmalade - http://www.amideastfeast.com/r.....-jam/

I make it this way every year. I do it from 10- 12 esrogim. I collect esrogim from all family members then send them the jelly/jam for TB.

It is best not to do it on a rainy day. The sugar doesnt melt as well. It becomes grainy.

a1mom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 5:29 pm
bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus